Chapter 7

Serpentine

Josephine sat in the kitchen the next morning with the five other hybrids as they all ate breakfast. The five boys all chattered amongst each other, occasionally asking Josephine a question to help her feel included but she was still very shy so her answers were somewhat short. She was also still trying to calm down from last night’s dinner as well and it seemed like the boys understood that so they didn’t mind her short answers. They too were new to this household once so they knew perfectly how Josephine was feeling.

The night before, after the disastrous dinner, the five hybrids brought Josephine to their play room. The play room has been a play room ever since Aideen was a child so as she grew, the appearance of the room changed. Then once the boys started to live there, the play room went from once being a girl’s play room to a boy’s and as they grew, the items changed out from different types of toys like action figures and building blocks to flat screen televisions with different video game consoles, a few large book shelves stacked with different video games, a trampoline, board games, foosball table, ping-pong table, pool table, air hockey, a karaoke machine, and just different things that can keep the kids entertained and out of Aideen’s and Junhyuk’s hair when need be. It was the room the kids spent the most time and soon Josephine too because Hojeong told himself that wherever he will be, Josephine will be with him. He didn’t want her scared and alone anymore so he was going to stay by her side to protect her.

“So there’s some rules in this house that will help you stay on noona’s good side, Josie Posie.” Sungwoon grinned as he perched himself on a human sized bird swing that has been installed since Aideen and Junhyuk got the news that they were going to get a humming bird hybrid.

“No! Only I can call her ‘Josie Posie’!” Hojeong pouted.

“Okay, fine, Josie. What are the rules, Timo hyung?” Sungwoon grinned at the red panda who was busy writing in a notepad.

“You know how to read, right?” Moonkyu had stopped halfway to ask Josephine that question and she simply nodded her head.

“I know how to read.” She quietly said, looking down at her lap where her tail rested. It kept her warm and also was like a comfort blanket.

“Good. We’ll go over these rules anyways but it’ll probably be nice to have them so you can look them over. Here.” Moonkyu neatly tore out the paper and handed it to Josephine. She quietly looked them over before looking up at the five boys.

“Just three rules?” Josephine wondered.

“Those are the only important ones. Everything else is common sense. Don’t worry. If you just follow these, you’ll be fine. And if you have any questions, you can ask me!” Hojeong brightly said. Josephine decided to just look over the list instead of answering because she really had no idea what to say.

“Rule number 1: Only call noona ‘eonni’. Rule number 2: Don’t pry into business that isn’t yours. Rule number 3: Don’t ever talk to anyone about family business that isn’t family. Family?” Josephine looked up from the paper, confused by the last rule.

“Basically don’t talk to anyone that isn’t us, noona, or hyung about the family business.” Moonkyu said with a very serious tone.

“But what is the family business?” Josephine wondered.

“You’ll find out eventually. Or not. It really doesn’t matter but whatever you hear, you can’t discuss it with anyone else. Understood?” Moonkyu asked. Josephine just merely nodded her head even though she still didn’t understand but she didn’t want to look like even more stupid than she probably did from dinner.

“I don’t think she gets it still, Timo.” Taehyun simply said, glancing over from the video game that he and San were playing. San also looked over, agreeing that Josephine more than likely did not understand still.

“Don’t worry, Josie Posie! You’ll understand it eventually!” Hojeong grinned, ruffling Josephine’s hair.

Josephine could still feel his hand on her head even though it was the next day.

“Timo, are you ready?” Junhyuk came in, fixing his watch. A maid came and took Moonkyu’s empty breakfast plate.

“Yeah, hyung.” Moonkyu finished his juice before getting up.

“Good morning, hyung!” Hojeong grinned, his ears perked up and his tail wagging happily. Junhyuk simply grinned at him.

“Good morning, Hojeongie.”

“Morning, hyung!” Sungwoon grinned as well. Junhyuk chuckled and also wished him ‘good morning’ before sending a good morning to everyone else. Josephine quietly said her good morning in unison with Taehyun and San whose good morning was significantly louder. Aideen also arrived, putting in her earrings.

“Good morning, noona!” Hojeong got even more happy, seeing Aideen. Sungwoon as well.

“Good morning you two.” Aideen said, her smile not as present as Junhyuk’s but it was enough for Hojeong and Sungwoon. Josephine instantly set her attention on her barely touched food, scared to look at Aideen.

“Hojeong, how is your…friend, this morning?” Aideen asked.

“Josie Posie? She’s doing great, noona! We talked to her yesterday and told her the rules!” Hojeong excitedly explained. Aideen merely hummed before telling them all goodbye and giving her husband a kiss. Junhyuk and Moonkyu shortly left after her leaving Sungwoon, Taehyun, San, Hojeong, and Josephine. When they all finished eating—Josephine didn’t finish the food exactly but got full—San went to his room while Taehyun and Sungwoon went somewhere else together. It left only Hojeong and Josephine at the table.

“Well, what do you want to do, Josie Posie?” Hojeong asked, grin on his face. Josephine merely shrugged. She had no idea really. If she were still with the Shin’s, she would be cleaning up after breakfast then tending to the kids while cleaning the house. Now, she has the whole day and then some to her own free reign. Even when she wasn’t living with the Shins, she was being trained to be the best maid and child care giver.

“What do you usually do?” Josephine asked.

“Bug one of the guys to play with me or go and bother Seogoong hyung. Or I work out. Actually, I work out first and then I do one of the things I mentioned.” Hojeong cheerfully said. Josephine decided that her best bet would be to just go with Hojeong’s plans instead of doing something of her own accord and possibly getting in trouble. She still didn’t understand everything and didn’t know if she ever would.


A/N I apologize for the wait! This chapter gave me issues for some reason...smh. I'll try and have the next chapter up soon!