Chapter 3

Serpentine

Josephine flinched as she put dishes away, her body still sore from the beating. It didn’t help that the children had a few days off from school so not only has she been cleaning and cooking, but also playing with the children. She tried her best to not let the kids see she was in pain, and so far, they haven’t noticed and neither has Sir. Josephine hoped she could keep the charade up for as long as it takes for her to fully heal because she really didn’t like lying to Sir or the children.

 

“Noona, eomma is home early.” Jinsoo, the second youngest, informed Josephine.

 

“Huh, what is she doing here?” Josephine asked, more to herself than anything, before taking Jinsoo by the hand and leading him out of the kitchen and into the living room where the other three children were.

 

“Eonni, is eomma okay?” Boyoung asked, looking up from where she was reading the youngest, Minjun, a book, trying to keep the toddler from running around so much and causing havoc.

 

“I don’t know.” Josephine told her, walking to the door to open it for Madam.

 

“Madam, you’re home-“ Josephine was cut off by Madam shoving her into a wall, causing the children to cry out when Madam wrapped her hands around Josephine’s neck and lifted the hybrid up.

 

“You! My sister is dead because of your people!” Madam snarled.

 

“Eomma, stop!” The oldest, Sejun, exclaimed. He rushed over and tried to pry his mom’s hands off of Josephine.

 

“I don’t know what you mean, Madam.” Josephine choked out, finding it difficult to breathe as Madam tightened her hands.

 

“Hana! She went to work at a company for your kind and she’s dead now! The police said it was a car accident but your filthy kind killed her!” Madam said through gritted teeth.

 

“You’re going to kill, noona!” Jinsoo cried, running over to help his brother while Boyoung clung to Minjun, both stricken with fear.

 

“Take the kids away.” Josephine struggled to say, not wanting the kids to be present if Madam indeed killed her. Is this how she was going to go? By being strangled by her owner? Just as Josephine was beginning to see black spots, praying that the kids will be fine, she was being dropped to the floor, gasping for air.

 

“What are you doing?! You could’ve killed her!” Sir had come home early, just in time to see his wife trying to kill their hybrid. Jinsoo and Sejun helped Josephine stand.

 

“Noona, are you okay?” Sejun asked, patting Josephine’s back because he really had no idea what else to do.

 

“Take everyone upstairs.” Sir ordered, gripping his wife by her upper arms. Who he directed that order towards, Josephine didn’t know but she forced herself to be okay and motioned for Jinsoo and Sejun to go towards the stairs while she hurried to Boyoung and Minjun. She helped them up and allowed Boyoung to cling to her while she carried Minjun, who was half her height, and they followed Jinsoo and Sejun upstairs. Josephine ushered them into the nearest bedroom and closed the door.

 

“Eonni!” Boyoung finally allowed herself to cry once they were all safe behind the closed door. “Eonni, I was so scared! Why would eomma do that?” Boyoung sobbed. Josephine had handed Minjun to Sejun so she could hug Boyoung and offer her comfort.

 

“It’s okay, Boyoung. I’m okay, really.” Josephine assured, rubbing her back.

 

“Noona, don’t lie. You’ve been limping these past few days. Did eomma cause that too?” Sejun asked, very serious for a 12 year old.

 

“No, I just hurt my leg.” Josephine lied.

 

“You’re lying again, noona. You said lying is bad.” Jinsoo pouted, not wanting to cry and be strong like his big brother.

 

“Eonni, your neck is starting to bruise.” Boyoung said, lifting her head from Josephine’s shoulder to examine the hybrid’s neck.

 

“I’ll be fine, children. Really. Are you all okay?” Josephine asked, moving to look over the three boys, Boyoung still clinging to her.

 

“We’re fine, noona. Just a little shaken up.” Sejun admitted.

 

“Aigoo, when did you become so serious?” Josephine said, attempting to lighten the mood. It seemed to have work because the three oldest laughed. They were more chuckles/giggles than anything but it worked for Josephine.

 

“’Na ‘kay?” Minjun finally spoke up, reaching out to Josephine.

 

“Yes, Minjun, I’m fine. Are you okay?” Josephine took the toddler from Sejun and held him on her lip.

 

“’Na owies?” Minjun touched her neck where there was already bruising forming.

 

“Yeah, noona has owies. Does Minjun have owies?” Josephine asked.

 

“Minjun ‘kay.” Minjun assured her, nodding his head. Josephine laughed, flinching at the pain in her neck. She assured the children she was fine when they all were quick to worry.

 

“Let me tell you all a story, how does that sound?” Josephine forced a smile, sitting down and motioning the kids to sit down as well.

 

“You’re going to irritate your throat, noona.” Sejun lightly reprimanded. Josephine had been clearing after speaking and her voice had been sounding raspier and raspier as she spoke.

 

“I’ll be fine, don’t worry.” Josephine assured before beginning her story.

 

Back downstairs, Sir was still trying to figure out what he had walked into. Madam had tore away from him and had tried to go upstairs to get Josephine, but he was able to stop her each time.

 

“Hana is dead, because of that, thing!” Madam exclaimed.

 

“Young In, Hana died in a car accident. Josephine had nothing to do with it!” Sir said, frustration evident in his voice. He was shocked when he got the call at work that his sister-in-law had been found dead, the police saying she had gotten in a car wreck on her way to work. He got home, wanting to see if his wife was home as well so they could grieve together but instead, he came home and saw his wife trying to murder Josephine in front of their children.

 

“She died because she started working at that company! I told her hybrids were nothing but trash, but she never listened and now she’s dead! My little sister is dead, Dong Wook!” Young In cried, the pain of losing her sister finally hitting her. Dong Wook sighed before pulling his wife into a hug.

 

“I know, I know you hurt. But Josephine, she had nothing to do with Hana dying. She cared a lot for your sister. I know this hurts, but, hurting Josephine won’t bring Hana back. She died in a car accident, Young In. Hybrids didn’t kill her.” Dong Wook his wife’s head while she cried.

 

Their moment was interrupted by their doorbell ringing. Dong Wook let go of his wife to turn away whoever was at the door because this was not a good time right now.

 

“I’m sorry, but this isn’t-“ Dong Wook cut himself off when he noticed the two sharp dressed men standing at their door. “Can I help you?”

 

One of the men, his very serious face, changed quickly when he smiled a bright smile. “Hello, are you Shin Dong Wook?” He wondered, bowing slightly to him.

 

“Yes.” Dong Wook replied shortly, looking from one man to the other.

 

“Your time to pay for the loan has come to an end and we have come to collect the money for boss.” Mr. Smile said, his tone bright. The other has yet to speak but Dong Wook noticed his ears and tail. A cheetah hybrid.

 

“What loans? I never-“ Dong Wook cut himself off and turned to his wife who had joined him at the door. “You put the loan in my name?! The loan you took out to have a shopping spree?!” Dong Wook exclaimed.

 

“I wasn’t going to use mine! It would ruin me if people found out!” Young In snapped.

 

“And what about me?! Did you think about how it could affect me?!” Dong Wook yelled.

 

“Uh, I hate to get in between your lover’s spat, but, the money? We don’t care who the name was under, as long as we get the money.” Mr. Smile said, his smile never leaving.

 

“I thought you said there was a few more weeks left.” Young In said to the man.

 

“There was, until boss decided to bump the date to today.” Mr. Smile merely shrugged while the cheetah hybrid seemed unfazed by it all.

 

“We don’t have the money yet. Can we just have a few more days?” Dong Wook pleaded.

 

“I’m so sorry for the inconvenience this brings you two, but I don’t make the rules.” Mr. Smile tsked before remembering something. “Ah, boss did mention something about a hybrid being in your possession. Do you remember what kind, hyung?” Mr. Smile turned to the cheetah, who finally spoke up.

 

“A fennec fox.” The cheetah hybrid said, raising alarm with Dong Wook.

 

“No, Josephine isn’t for sale. We’ll get the money, let me just make a quick call and-“ Dong Wook was cut off by Mr. Smile.

 

“Our boss doesn’t like to wait, so either, the money or the hybrid.” Mr. Smile’s tone got a very slight edge to it, but everything else was still bright.

 

“Take the hybrid.” Young In said, hurrying up the stairs with Dong Wook following close behind.

 

“Yah! Chae Young In!” Dong Wook tried to stop his wife but she was too fast.

 

“And then the-“ Josephine was cut off by the door slamming open and Young In barging in.

 

“Madam?!” Josephine was grabbed by her forearm and forced to stand up.

 

“Eomma!” The kids tried to go after them but was stopped by Josephine.

 

“Kids, stay in the room! I’ll be fine!” She pleaded, trying to keep up with Young In.

 

“Young In, don’t do this! Josephine is family, you don’t sell family!” Dong Wook had grabbed Josephine’s other arm, in an attempt to stop his wife from going downstairs.

 

“She isn’t family, Dong Wook! She was just a maid, less than a maid!” Young In snapped, yanking on Josephine’s arm and pulling her away from Dong Wook.

 

“Eomma, you can’t sell eonni!” Boyoung cried from the room, all the children sobbing. They wanted to leave the room, but they didn’t want to disobey Josephine.

 

Young In hurried down the stairs and tossed Josephine to the feet of the two men, shocking them both. The cheetah hybrid was quick to bend down and try to help Josephine up but she instantly shied away from his touch. Josephine tried to scramble away from the men and to Dong Wook who had arrived next to his wife but was stopped when the cheetah hybrid grabbed her shirt.

 

“Sir! Please don’t let me get sold! I’ll be good, I promise!” Josephine begged, trying to get out of the hybrid’s hold.

 

“Take that piece of filth and get her away from me.” Young In spat at Josephine’s face, causing her to flinch.

 

“Thank you for your all’s cooperation. Hyung, let’s go.” Mr. Smile bent down and lifted Josephine with ease, tossing her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. He didn’t even flinch at the fennec’s feeble hits. Dong Wook tried to chase after them but was froze when he saw the gun being raised before it went off. He turned around to the sound of his wife’s cry of pain and saw her on ground, clutching her leg.

 

“That cheetah shot me!” She screamed.

 

“The only filth here is you.” The cheetah hybrid said before following Mr. Smile to the car. Josephine had paled at the sight of Young In on the ground, bleeding and was soon filled with fear. She looked up at the sound of hands pounding on a window and muffled screams. Her heart instantly broke and her eyes filled with tears at the sight of the four children at the window, screaming for her to not go. Both emotions overwhelmed her and she didn’t know what to do when she was placed inside the car, both men getting in the front. She cried out of sadness and fear as she watched the house she had lived in for the past six years, get smaller and smaller as the car drove away.