Chapter 2

Serpentine

Aideen sat in her office, two days later. She was going over what Jimin told her two days ago and waiting for him to get more information on the family. She heard it was a fennec fox hybrid and those were very rare, and could make her money. Now, she just needed to see how healthy the hybrid was. As she was getting ready to call one of her workers to give them a heads up on the hybrid pick-up, her secretary rang for her through the intercom.

 

“Ma’am, Jin is here and insists that he has to see you. He says it’s urgent.” Aideen sighed before pressing the button and speaking. “Send him in.”

 

She was sitting there expectantly when Jin hurried in, looking very anxious.

 

“What is it?” Aideen questioned.

 

“Aideen, the rig transporting the hybrids were attacked and the hybrids were all stolen. It was the Amber Phoenixes who did it. ” Jin informed her, flinching when Aideen leaned forward, slamming her hands on her desk.

 

“What?! Where the were our guards?! Why the do I pay your people?!” Aideen screamed.

 

“I’m sorry, Aideen! I really am! I don’t know what happened!” Jin apologized, tears welling up in his eyes as he bowed repeatedly to Aideen.

 

“Just, go back to your office. Call Yoongi and tell him that I want the location of the where the rig was ambushed.” Aideen ordered. Jin apologized as he walked out of the office, wiping at his tears. Aideen picked up her phone and dialed a number that she knew by heart.

 

Choi Junhyuk sat in his own office, going over that month’s trade numbers but the more he looked over them, the more frustrated he became over the loss of some of their biggest clients. The arms and drugs division was doing fine, along with their hit service but it was their rare hybrids requests that were taking a hit and Junhyuk couldn’t figure out why. Just as he was about to throw the papers across the room out of anger, his phone rang, alerting him of his wife’s call. She was the only one that directly called him there.

 

“My love, I was just going over this month’s invoices. Have you heard anything about the Shin account?” He wondered.

 

“We have much bigger problems than the Shin’s account disappearing. Those Phoenix bastards are getting more ballsy. They attacked the truck and got the cargo.” Aideen’s voice was as hard as steel and it put Junhyuk on edge.

 

“What the hell happened to the guards? Wasn’t Seokjin’s people there?” Junhyuk took deep breathes, attempting to control his temper. Not one of his strong points if he was being honest.

 

“They were but I have no idea what happened to them. We need to take care of these bastards soon, Junhyuk. I’m sick of them acting like they own our city.”

 

Junhyuk could feel his blood boiling in his veins as smoke became more evident in his breath. “Don’t worry, my love. I’ll take care of this. Soon, they won’t be a problem.”

 

“I want their leaders head on a platter.” Aideen said, the venom evident in her voice. Sometimes, Junhyuk couldn’t believe that she was a full human since she acted so much like a dragon hybrid herself.

 

“Do you want me to simply capture him and you can do the honors yourself?” Junhyuk asked, knowing the sadistic smile that would come across his wife’s face. It was one of his personal favorites, the way her face twisted in psychotic pleasure of knowing someone else’s blood would be on her hands. He loved it.

 

“Do you even really need to ask me that, Hyukkie?” Aideen giggled.

 

A smirk came across his face at Aideen’s use of his childhood nickname. With a little more than a ‘be safe and don’t do anything stupid’ their phone call ended.

 

Junhyuk pressed a button on the intercom on his office’s phone and called out in a monotone voice. “Timo, get Namjoon on the phone for me.”

 

“You already have a meeting with him in a few hours. Are you sure you want to call him while he’s working?” An equally monotone voice spoke back to him through the speaker.

 

“Yes, Timo. Now get him on the damn phone and stop questioning me.” Junhyuk shot back, quickly losing his patience.

 

“Fine, hyung. Sorry.” And in a couple minutes, Junhyuk’s phone line was blinking, indicating the connection had been made. Junhyuk lifted the phone and immediately began talking.

 

“We have a situation. I’m going to need you to come in earlier.”

 

“I can’t make it in any earlier unless you want me to roll up in my uniform. I can send Jungkook if it’s absolutely necessary.” Namjoon replied with a flat, almost annoyed, tone. Junhyuk was used to this behavior from him though, a cop owing a debt to a mafia boss wasn’t exactly to be praised about. Now, a cop owing a debt to a hybrid mafia boss was something even worse.

 

“Then send the rabbit but remember that this will add on to what you owe us.” Namjoon cursed under his breath, making Junhyuk smirk before he heard the cop tell him that Junhyuk would be there in an hour. Junhyuk hung up the phone and stood from his desk, leaving his office. He saw Moonkyu’s ears perk up at the sound of his door closing before the red panda hybrid spoke up.

 

“Sorry hyung, but what is so important that you had to call Namjoon so urgently?” Junhyuk sighed and rubbed his temples below the curved, golden horns that were protruding from his blonde hair.

 

“The Phoenix keep trying to rise from the ashes and take our business. The convoy was attacked and there’s no word yet on the guards but all of the cargo was taken. I can’t make a move without being able to have our eyes with badges on high alert. He’s sending the rabbit and he should be here in an hour so send one of the kids to go get him some strawberry milk and those shrimp chips that he likes.” Junhyuk ran his hands down his face before putting one hand in his pocket and loosening his tie with the other.

 

“Hyung, why do you always give him treats like he’s a little kid? He’s only three years younger than the mutt.” Moonkyu said with a grimace at the mention of their family’s golden retriever hybrid.

 

“Because he’s as skittish as he ever was and you know Aideen has a soft spot for the poor thing. On another note, what did Hojeong do to deserve being called a mutt this time?” Junhyuk asked, cracking the faintest of smiles at Moonkyu.

 

“He decided to use my bed to dry his sweaty off after the gym. Not the shower, the gym. His excuse was that he had thought of something he needed to tell me and didn’t want to forget so he rushed over to my room to wait for me. He didn’t even remember what he had to say when I showed up! Stupid mutt.” Moonkyu replied, exasperated as he crossed his arms.

 

Junhyuk chuckled with a shake of his head. He made sure Moonkyu got one of the kids to buy the snacks before Jungkook showed up and he went back to his office. He spent the next hour, going over the numbers again, laughing when a memory of Hojeong’s antics would pop into his mind. He got a short break when Moonkyu came in to deliver the milk and chips after they were dropped off.

 

“San wants to know how much trouble he’ll get into if he put Sungwoon on eBay.” Moonkyu played the role of messenger for his mouse hybrid brother, putting the strawberry milk inside the fridge so it was cold for the rabbit hybrid.

 

“Tell him that if he even so much as go to that page, no cheese for a month and he will be cleaning Sungwoon’s room for two weeks.” Junhyuk simply said, not looking up from the work on his desk. Moonkyu made a noise that showed that he understood before leaving the office, placing the chips on Junhyuk’s desk. Moonkyu didn’t show up again until Jungkook arrived just to bring the rabbit hybrid into his office.

 

“Jungkookie, how are you? I got you some snacks.” Junhyuk smiled, standing up from his desk to greet the young hybrid.

 

“Hello, hyung. I’m good.” Jungkook shyly answered, his ears pressed down out of nervousness. Junhyuk motioned for Jungkook to sit down in one of the arm chairs that he had while he went to the fridge to get one of the strawberry milk boxes. He even poked the straw into the box for the boy and handed it to him before going to his desk to retrieve the bag of chips.

 

“Here you go, Jungkookie. These are the ones that you like, right?” Junhyuk asked, sitting down in the chair across from Jungkook who seemed much more relaxed now that he was drinking strawberry milk. Jungkook nodded his head, ears flopping as he watched with shining eyes, Junhyuk open the bag.

 

“Thank you, hyung!” Jungkook grinned, his bunny teeth showing. Junhyuk chuckled and reached over to ruffle the boy’s hair. Junhyuk proceeded to ask Jungkook about he was being treated, if he was happy at his home, and just asking about his wellbeing in general. Jungkook answered his questions, assuring Junhyuk that he was being treated very well by Namjoon and Seokjin and that he was very happy at home. He even went to go on in detail about the foods that Seokjin cooks and how delicious it all was and whenever there was a storm, he was welcomed with open arms to sleep with either Namjoon or Seokjin.

 

“Hyung, where’s Aideen noona?” Jungkook wondered. Junhyuk chuckled and was about to tell him that Aideen was at the company when the office door swung open and said girl was coming in.

 

“Baby bunny!” She cheered. Jungkook immediately shot up and went to give the woman a hug.

 

“Hi noona! Hyung gave me chips and strawberry milk!” Jungkook grinned.

 

“He did? Well aren’t you a lucky bunny, today.” Aideen cooed, scratching the hybrid behind his ear.

 

The rest of the time that Jungkook was there, Aideen was babying him and carrying a conversation with him. Junhyuk watched the scene with a soft smile and when Jungkook had to leave, he handed Jungkook a note that had all the information for Namjoon. Junhyuk made Moonkyu get one of their workers to drive Jungkook back home and when it was just him and Aideen, he sat back down in his office chair and pulled his wife onto his lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a sweet kiss.

 

“Namjoon is lucky he’s useful, I guess.” Junhyuk told her. Aideen tilted her head slightly.

 

“Why?” She wondered. Junhyuk smiled and gave her another kiss. “Because if he wasn’t, I would have just taken Jungkook as payment for his debt just to make you happy, my love.” He told her. Aideen smiled and gave him another, much longer kiss.

 

“Noona! You’re home! You’re really home! How was your day, noona? Did it go well? You smell like rabbit! Did you see Jungkook? Why didn’t you bring Jungkook home? I haven’t seen him in so long!” Aideen and Junhyuk were greeted by Hojeong, the golden retriever hybrid. And boy was he happy to see them…like he always was. His tail wagged happily as he ran around in circles in front of them, jumping up and down.

 

“Yah! Sit, Hojeong! You’re giving me a headache!” San, the mouse hybrid, yelled from where he sat in the living room. Hojeong instantly sat on the floor, tail still wagging as he looked in the direction of the living room with a wide grin.

 

“You’re only happy to see Aideen but not me? Hyung is hurt, Hojeongie.” Junhyuk sighed, prompting Hojeong to spring up and latch himself on to Junhyuk and place slobbery kisses all over Junhyuk’s face.

 

“I’m always happy to see you, hyung!” Hojeong exclaimed.

 

“Okay, okay, I believe you. Down, boy, down.” Junhyuk laughed, wiping his face with a handkerchief once Hojeong was down.

 

“Noona and hyung are home?” Taehyun popped his head from behind a wall.

 

“You couldn’t hear the mutt?” Moonkyu sarcastically asked, coming out from behind Junhyuk and Aideen.

 

“Shut up, hyung.” Taehyun grumbled, coming out from behind the wall so he could properly greet Junhyuk and Aideen.

 

“Where’s Sungflower?” Aideen asked, giving Taehyun a hug and gesturing for San to come over and greet her as well.

 

“Yah, San, you didn’t seriously sell him?” Junhyuk glared at the younger. San shook his head, not looking up from his handheld video game console.

 

“No, he’s somewhere around the house.” San mumbled.

 

“Yah, Sungwoon!” Aideen called.

 

“Noona! Hyung!” The hummingbird hybrid flew down from the top of the stairs, happy to see the two.

 

“Hello, Sungflower.” Aideen greeted him with open arms, prompting Hojeong to whine about not receiving the same affection from the woman.

 

“I’m a good boy, noona!” Hojeong insisted. Aideen chuckled and the top of Hojeong’s head as she hugged Sungwoon with one arm.

 

“Yes you are, Hojeong. You are a very good boy.” Aideen assured him. Hojeong smiled sweetly before turning his attention on to San.

 

“San! Let’s go play! You promised to play with me!” Hojeong was bigger and probably stronger than the mouse hybrid—even though San would insist he was stronger—but he acted like he was a lap dog and much more tinier than San so when he jumped onto him, San struggled with holding up Hojeong and keeping himself standing.

 

“Aish! Fine, fine! Just get off of me!” San grunted. Hojeong happily obliged and pulled San with him in whatever direction he pleased.

 

“Let’s go, hyungs! You too, Sungwoonie!” Hojeong called back to the others, unaware of their disgruntled expressions as they followed after the two.

 

“I’ll be right there, Hojeongie. I need to talk to Aideen for a minute.” Junhyuk assured the Labrador when he looked at him with puppy dog eyes. Hojeong was pleased with the answers and continued his merry way. He waited until the others were gone before turning to his wife.

 

“So, what did you want to tell me about this fennec fox hybrid?”