Nightlight

Of Coffee, Love, and Other Things That Leave Stains (Part 4)

I’ve never heard the part about Lancelot before,” I say after a long moment of silence, “I wish he wouldn’t have felt guilt”.

           “Why? He was the reason she died”. Nichkhun’s face goes into a look of confusion and frustration (A look I am used to seeing when he doesn’t understand the Korean being spoken around him).

           I sigh before answering: “She wasn’t really living.  Watching the world that way isn’t living, and it was love that allowed her to live.  It might have been short lived, but I don’t think anyone in the world could have been more alive than she was for those few moments in her love’s presence.  Anything can be faced when love is involved.  To love is to truly live, even if there is pain along with it.”  I felt my face turn warm as a deep blush began to tint my cheeks, “I know; it sounds cheesy.”  When I finish I turn to Nichkhun who is looking at me in a way I have never seen from him before.

           Very quickly and fluidly Nichkhun closes the remaining space between us.  I can feel his body heat upon me.  His eyes are searching mine for something, I just don’t know what.

           “Do you truly believe that?  If it was for love, could you put up with death threats? Crazy fans?  Would it all really be worth it?” He asks, hope (yes…that was the unfamiliar emotion I had seen earlier) fills his eyes.

           My breath catches in my throat; all I can do is nod, my mind racing.  We were obviously not talking about the Lady of Shalott and Lancelot anymore; last I checked the story of Lancelot lacked both fans and death threats. *Was this about him…him and me?*

           “I’m going to kiss you now, if that’s okay” Nichkhun asks, and tells at the same time.  I nod in response; words are still lost to me.

           It is there in a dark, cool, quiet castle, bathed in nightlight, bathed in moonlight that Nichkhun gives me my first kiss, both sweet and warm.  Nightlight, moonlight, will forever remind me of this wonderful kiss, and how our relationship starts.