Glass

Of Coffee, Love, and Other Things That Leave Stains (Part 4)

I entered the room, which is bathed in multicolored moonlight streaming in from a stained glass window.  I instantly recognize the story being told within the old and delicate glass work. It is a beautiful scene of a woman sitting in a canoe, a quilt sprawled across her lap.  The look on her face is a mix of love and sorrow.  I can feel a connection with her story.  She is the Lady of Shalott.  She had loved a man she could never have.

           “Do you know the lady’s story?” A question comes from the opposite side of the room.  In shock my eyes scan the dark corner, finally landing upon the Thai Prince.

           I don’t answer him, so he starts to share her story with me:

 

It’s a story of love, and death.  She had the ability to live forever.  She could live forever as long as she never looked out of or left her tower.  She could only watch the world from a magic mirror.  The mirror allowed her to see everything taking place in the world.  As she watched, she began to focus on certain people.  She began spending time watching King Arthur and Sir Lancelot.  The more she watched Lancelot and his noble deeds, the more she fell in love with him.  In her eyes, he was more princely than Arthur.  One day while watching Lancelot in her mirror she saw he would be her tower.  Due to her love for Lancelot she decided to forsake her life.  She decided to look upon Lancelot once, rather than live forever.  She gave her life for her love of the princely knight.

          

He tells the story as he walks closer to me.  He is now standing near me, but he maintains some distance still.

           “After the lady’s death, Lancelot heard of the ladies love for him.  He forever felt guilt towards the fate he inflicted upon her”.  Nichkhun finishes; his face both beautiful and filled with sorrow as he looks into my eyes.  The usual playfulness has completely disappeared.  The stain-glass tinted moonlight streams down on us both.  For a moment everything is still and silent.