Chapter Four: Medieval (Part Two)

Back in Time

 

The sun was fully set by the time they reached the small cottage. Thoughts of the wedding banns was still very much on his mind and Taemin immediately noticed the drastic change in his mood as they made our way back.
 
She was getting married. 
 
Married.
 
Was this why things didn't work out for them in this life?
 
The pain still hasn't fully subsided and he wasn't sure exactly what he was doing to be quite honest. Nothing else made any sense besides the fact that she was betrothed to marry another. Why hasn't the other Jinki in this life done anything about it? Was he going to let the best thing in his life slip through his hands just like that?
 
"We're home."
 
He looks at the medium sized cottage, immediately noticing the comfortable ambiance surrounding the place. It was a bit rundown on the edges but still sturdy. There was a small barn attached to the side and he could easily see the chickens, pigs and cows meandering around. The horses were being tended to by a small farm boy with a pail. 
 
He watches as Taemin brings his beautiful brown horse towards the stables.
 
The younger boy looks back at him with a questioning glance. "Hyung? C'mon hurry. Mother will have our heads if we don't go inside soon and wash up for dinner."
 
 
 
 
Their mother was a very kind woman with gentle brown eyes and a bit of a serious but kind disposition.
 
They greeted her with a quick kiss as they made their way inside the cottage. The wonderful smell of dinner hit Jinki immediately and as if on cue, his stomach growls in response. 
 
"C'mon boys. Get out of those filthy clothes and help me set the table."
 
If the house looked comfortable on the outside, it was even more so on the inside.
 
He follows Taemin as he makes his way up a flight of stairs. He had no idea where his room was although he didn't have much to worry about because it turned out that they shared the same room.
 
The room was small with two single cots on each side. There was a small desk table with a sturdy chair and an unlit used candle on it. A tome of books were on a worn out bookshelf on the corner and there was a display of a sword and armor on the wall.
 
Taemin heads towards a medium sized closet on the left so the right was his side.
 
He sits carefully on the cot, afraid that it wouldn't take his weight, but it does of course.
 
"Hyung? Why aren't you changing? It's your turn to help out with the table today. I did my share yesterday. I know you're upset about the announcement but I'm pretty sure it's not that much of a surprise. Lady Gwiboon is of age to get married. It was only a matter of time."
 
"I know that... but just the thought of her marrying someone else? Well, it hurts."
 
"Hyung."
 
He forces a smile. "I'll be fine," trying to reassure Taemin or himself, he wasn't sure. Maybe both.
 
Taemin just shakes his head, heading to the door. "Okay I'll go ahead. Don't take too long okay?"
 
"I won't."
 
With a weary sigh, he run his fingers through his hair.
 
 
 
 
After dinner, they stayed up for a bit playing a quick game of chess. Taemin was a worthy opponent, and he ended up winning both sets.
 
"You're really good at this, Taemin-ah."
 
"Of course I am. You can't beat me Jinki hyung."
 
He laughs out loud.
 
"I will though."
 
"If you say so."
 
Taemin yawns.
 
He looks at the grandfather clock on the wall, noticing the time. It was getting late.
 
"Will it be okay if you clean up here hyung? I'm sleepy."
 
Of course him being the responsible hyung just nods. He always had such a soft heart where Taemin was concerned.
 
"Good night Jinki-hyung. Don't stay up late."
 
He put the chess pieces and board back together and the house was quiet as he sits back down on the settee. He wasn't ready to sleep just yet.
 
His thoughts wandered back to Gwiboon and her engagement.
 
How did she feel? Was she frightened, terrified? Did she know her bethrothed? Did this change things between them?
 
Of course it does. A sudden pain pierces his heart.
 
But she should be with him. Like she should be.
 
With a weary sigh, Jinki decides it was probably time to head to bed.
 
 
 
 
 
He finally meets the past life Jinki. In his sleep.
 
It was the oddest sensation but he felt as if his body was floating and he was staring back at a reflection of himself that wasn't him but was him all the same.
 
"Jinki."
 
"We finally meet."
 
"Listen to me. We're meant to be with Gwiboon, in this life and the next, but fate is giving us one last chance. Jinki you have to get it right."
 
"But wait--"
 
"Things didn't work out in this lifetime, and I don't want the same thing to happen to you. We love her. I'm you and you're me. You have to get it right Jinki. Promise me."
 
"Wait--"
 
And just like that he wakes up abruptly, putting an arm to cover his eyes.
 
What just happened?
 
 
 
 
The next morning he finally finds out what he does for a living.
 
He was a knight in training, and that's when he finally meets Minho. Or the past life version of Choi Minho.
 
Minho was just like the present day version and he looked almost like him. He was tall and handsome, masculine and virile. The only difference being is the color of his hair and his eyes. He had light brown hair and green-brown eyes that turned hazel under the sun.
 
"Are you ready to start your training?"
 
He had to restrain the urge to laugh. Him? Jousting? He was the most clumsy person on earth.
 
"All set? Let's start."
 
 
 
 
After a tiring session, which surprisingly turned out to be quite a success considering he didn't break any bones, they sat by the boulders at the edge of the castle. He gulps down the much needed water from the wooden carafe, or what was considered a carafe back then. Jinki didn't know what they called it exactly.
 
"You're improving, I must say."
 
"Really?"
 
"Yeah, really. Maybe then you'll be prepared enough to enter this jousting competition."
 
"A competition? Maybe not for me, but fitting for you. You're the best knight I know."
 
"No."
 
He claps him on the shoulder and shakes his head.
 
"You are. Why else do you think I get lessons from you?"
 
Minho smiles. "I'd enter but there's an age restriction. You, on the other hand, can definitely enter."
 
"What's the age restriction?"
 
"You have to be at least twenty years of age to enter."
 
Jinki wipes the sweat from my forehead away with the back of his hand. "I think I just might enter. What's the prize if you win?"
 
"Ten thousand gold coins and a kiss from a fair maiden of your choice. Speaking of fair maidens, how is Gwiboon?"
 
With the mention of Gwiboon, he frowns and stares down at his feet. "Have you heard the news? She's bethrothed to marry."
 
Minho sighs and claps a reassuring hand on his shoulder.
 
"It was bound to happen, my friend. She's of age."
 
"I know."
 
"Jinki."
 
"I know our ranks. I'm not exactly part of the aristocracy."
 
"That doesn't matter to her. She loves you."
 
"And I love her."
 
"Oh friend."
 
Jinki tries to fake a smile and changes the subject.
 
"Well no use in being depressed about it right? Our break's long over. Let's continue. I do have a competition to train for."
 
 
 
 
After the training session, he walks aimlessly around the marketplace.
 
He missed Gwiboon. He wanted to see her so badly, although he knew she was probably busy with all the wedding preparations. Putting his hands in his pockets, he heads towards the small garden by the castle. 
 
It was their meeting place.
 
He sits on the small wooden bench with a sigh. What was he going to do? Was it even possible to change the course of events? 
 
Was he losing my mind?
 
A small sound interrupts his thoughts and he squints against the setting sun to see the figure walking towards him. His heart skips a beat knowing it could only be one person.
 
She makes her way towards him and it struck him once again just how beautiful she really was. She wore a peach colored gown with her beautiful auburn hair up in a knot. She was exquisite and she had his heart.
 
"Jinki."
 
She stopped and stood a foot away from him.
 
"There is something I must tell you."