Chapter Three: Medieval (Part One)

Back in Time

 

Wait a minute? How in the world was he able to feel the weight of the girl atop of him? Wasn't this past life regression supposed to only make you see things from another perspective, as if you were watching a movie right before your eyes? Why did he feel as if he could every little thing, from the warmth of the humid weather, the scent of hay and above all, the feel and texture of her hair?
 
What--?
 
He watches the girl's eyes shift as his heart beat triple time against his ribs. 
 
"I've been looking all over for you! Where have you been?!"
 
He could only stare, too mesmerized to do anything else. She looked so much like the girl in the portrait but slightly different. Her eyes were the exact same, slanted and amber in the sun. Her hair was a lighter shade of brown, her features a little smaller, but it was Gwiboon all the same.
 
It was Gwiboon without a doubt.
 
He was shaken, too numb to feel anything.
 
"Jinki--?"
 
He stares up at her in awe. She had a smidge of dirt on her cheeks, her hair a bit of a tangled mess around her shoulders, her delicate eyebrows crinkled in worry. He wanted so badly to reach up and wipe the dirt off her pretty skin.
 
She was beautiful. 
 
"Are... are you okay Jinki? You disappeared in the marketplace... I was worried sick..." she peers down at him, squinting. "You're not sick are you?"
 
"W-what?"
 
She huffs in exasperation and untangles herself from his arms, looking away. He felt like the biggest jerk and carefully sat up, cradling his head with one hand.
 
He looks around him, noticing the strange surroundings. Where was he? He looks down at his clothing, the rough cloth of his tunic and notices the red velvet dress Gwiboon was wearing. The contrast was immediate and he knew without a doubt that her stature in society was a lot higher than his.
 
Gwiboon looks at him worriedly.
 
"Jinki--what's wrong?"
 
He tries a wobbly smile to reassure her.
 
"Nothing. I just, uh-- I fell?"
 
Gwiboon couldn't help but burst out in laughter, shaking her head as he watches, a bit mesmerized at how beautiful her auburn hair glowed under the sun.
 
"Oh Jinki. What else is new?"
 
He can only shake his head at her words. Of course his infamous sangtae would travel lifetimes back. 
 
"Jinki?"
 
"Yeah?"
 
"Let's head back. It's already late and you know how worried sick my mother gets when I don't get home by sundown."
 
He nods and lets her pull him up slowly. It was the strangest feeling to inhabit a body that wasn't yours but that was you at the same time. 
 
"Are you sure you're okay? You... seem different."
 
He smiles gently to reassure her or himself, he wasn't quite sure. He takes ahold of her hand, surprising himself. It must be the old medieval Jinki taking over. 
 
"I'm okay. Really."
 
He had no idea what he as doing but the feel of her hand in his was enough to stop his worries for the time being. He tightens his hand against hers and the feeling of rightness spread throughout him that he knew without a doubt that this was where he belonged. 
 
Gwiboon looks back at him, and with a smile, tightens her hand in return.
 
"Let's go."
 
 
 
 
 
 
That's when it hit him. 
 
He was taken back to the medieval era.
 
"Jinki?"
 
If it wasn't for Gwiboon's voice, he would have simply sat back down on the grass and simply stare in awe at everything around him.
 
"We have to hurry. The carriage is set to come and pick me up soon."
 
Carriage?
 
"Your carriage?"
 
Gwiboon huffs in frustration.
 
"Yes. Really. Jinki if I didn't know any better, I would have probably thought a whole new person took over your entire body. Yes. My carriage. You know? With horses?"
 
"Yeah. Right."
 
Gwiboon sighs. The feel of her soft hand in his was enough to calm him down for the time being. 
 
 
 
 
 
Never in a million years would he think he'd be able to have this opportunity to experience first-hand how it's like to live in a different lifetime.
 
He stares in awe at how different everything was. The air was thick with heat, and everyone was in constant motion. The scents carried the activity all around.
 
After walking for who knows how long, they finally reach the marketplace. Gwiboon stops abruptly and turns to look at him worriedly.
 
"Hopefully Albert isn't there yet. I really don't want to have to explain myself to Mother tonight."
 
He simply nods in response.
 
"Oh! Speaking of which, there he is."
 
A pair of strong horses was suddenly in view and a middle-aged gentleman was atop driving at the reins.
 
"Lady Gwiboon."
 
"Albert. "
 
"We must leave. "
 
"Yes."
 
Gwiboon then turns back to look at him.
 
"Jinki. I'll see you."
 
Before she could move another inch, he reaches up a finger to remove a stray piece of hay that somehow caught itself in her auburn strands. He watches as her beautiful eyes turn tender at the gesture. A sudden urge to take her in his arms and hold her tight took over and he had to restrain the urge from doing so.
 
Instead, he tries a wobbly smile. "Take care on your way home."
 
A strange sadness clouds her expression but it was gone in an instant. He wasn't sure if he was just imagining it, but before he could ponder about it further, she simply smiles in return.
 
"You too. Don't get into any more trouble okay?"
 
 
 
 
Not knowing exactly what he was doing, he walks around the marketplace, still trying to acquaint himself with his surroundings.
 
Suddenly a body collides with his, stealing his breath.
 
"Jinki-hyung!"
 
Hyung?
 
A boy, a few years younger than he was, was gripping his arms tight. He had on the brightest smile and it hit Jinki at how much he resembled Taemin.
 
"Taemin?"
 
"Yah--of course it's me."
 
What?
 
"Jinki-hyung? What's wrong?"
 
He shakes his head to ward off the feeling of déjà vu. It wasn't unexpected, of course Taemin would be in this lifetime too. It was still the oddest sensation though.
 
"Did Miss Gwiboon already leave? We better head back before Mother scolds us."
 
Mother? 
 
"C'mon."
 
He grabs his arm and walks towards a pair of strong horses. Jinki has never been on a horse in his entire life, so imagine his surprise when he easily manages to sit atop the horse and take the reins without once tripping.
 
So off they went, with him following Taemin's brown gelding, still keeping an interested eye in his surroundings. It was nearly sundown.
 
"You're being awfully quiet, hyung."
 
Before he could respond though, something catches his attention.
 
"Announcing the official banns for the marriage of Miss Lady Gwiboon to Sir James of Canterbury."
 
Gwiboon was getting married?
 
A sharp stab of pain suddenly pierced his heart. It was instantaneous and if he wasn't already gripping the reins tight, he would have easily fallen on the ground if not the strong horse that was supporting him at the time.