Chapter Two: Dreams

Back in Time

 

"She's your soulmate - you need to find her to finish your dance."
 
 
 
 
Jinki laid on his bed, thoughts of what Beth, the nice psychic lady has revealed to him still swimming in his mind.
 
"You've spent quite a lot of lifetimes with her. The most recent lifetime was during the Civil War and you were a soldier and she was a nurse. Another lifetime was during the 1800's - she was an English lady and you were betrothed to marry her. I see another image of you in the Renaissance era - but I get the sense that Gwiboon was a male in this lifetime... and so were you. The furthest lifetime was during the medieval era, you were childhood friends but.. something happened? I get the sense of 'star-crossed lovers' between you. That portrait you found was meant for you to see. She's looking for you do you know? She's not sure what it is but there is a feeling of a big void inside her... that missing void is you. You need to find her Jinki."
 
"There is one way to be able to go back in time. It's called past life regression which uses hypnosis as a way to journey back into your previous lives."
 
Now as he laid in bed, unable to sleep, plagued by these thoughts, he reached for the folded picture of Gwiboon, tracing her features with his thumb. A feeling of rightness spread over him that nothing really else mattered at that point.
 
Jinki sighed and brought an arm to cover the blinding overhead light. Then he stood up to take his laptop from the desk, opening his web browser to type in "past life regression" on the search bar. Websites of all different kinds came up, ranging from videos and sites on how to do self-hypnosis and the like.
 
Jinki clicked on one video, showing a man going through a hypnosis. He watches as the man was in a deep-induced sleep, speaking first hand about what he was experiencing. He clicked on more websites, reading testimonies, different experiences, even sites where hypnotists themselves were trying to advertise their services to earn money.
 
Honestly, he didn't know what to think at first, but after reading more testimonies and watching videos, he's decided that it was worth a shot. What did he have to lose?
 
Jinki looks down at the picture in his hand, outlining Gwiboon's beautiful face with the pad of his thumb.
 
He needed to find her.
 
 
 
 
That same night the dreams started.
 
He could see her in the distance. He knew without a doubt that it was her, but she was slowly, gradually fading away from his grasp. 
 
They were in a lake with the fog all around them. He could see her silhouette through the thick fog, the waving strands of her auburn hair flowing in the moist air, but she was disappearing through the mist.
 
He tries to reach for her, but before he could grasp her hand, she disappears, the only sound left was his own heartbeat and a big sense of loss deep within.
 
Jinki wakes up with a start, sweat drenched on his forehead, panting heavily. He clutched the covers around him tightly.
 
What was that dream about?
 
He remembered it all. He could almost see her face, was able to feel her presence, she was there, she was so close.
 
Jinki clenched his fists in frustration, glancing at the digital clock by his bedside, the numbers reading: 4:25 am.
 
He ran a heavy hand against his hair. There was no way he can go back to sleep now with the state he was in.
 
 
 
 
His studies were definitely getting affected at that point.
 
He couldn't concentrate, his grades were plummeting and his best friends Minho and Taemin were worried. They weren't sure what was happening but they knew something was wrong.
 
All Jinki thought about was Gwiboon. 
 
 
 
 
That was the first of many nights he's dreamed of her.
 
The dreams varied, but they all centered around the two of them in different situations, different lifetimes. One night he was in the Renaissance era working as a tailor, where he meets Gwiboon as a courtier, working for the King. The next, he was in the medieval era as a training knight, with Gwiboon as his childhood friend. In another life, he was a soldier in the Civil War, with Gwiboon as the nurse that tended to his wounds. In one lifetime, he was engaged to marry her during the Regency era, a gentleman in love with his beautiful bride to be.
 
In all the lifetimes, their names were different, their races, genders, but one thing remained the same: they loved one another.
 
He needed to find her and there was only one way he knew how.
 
 
 
 
"Okay, Jinki I need you to relax and calm your mind. Breathe in and out."
 
Jinki did what was asked of him, relaxing and breathing deeply.
 
"Continue breathing, focusing on relaxing. I want you to picture a round clock in front  of you. This is your clock. Watch as the hands go backwards. Relax and watch this time. The further they move, the faster the clock moves."
 
"Now as the clock keeps moving faster, keep your focus on it as it gets smaller and smaller...."
 
Jinki could not feel a thing, the voice of the hypnotist slowly fading in the distance. All he sees is the clock moving further away from him, willing his mind to say "stop" and the clock does stop to a full halt.
 
His entire body felt weightless, his mind slowly comprehending the scenery before him. Where was he?
 
Jinki looks around. He was in an open field of some sort. He looks down at his attire, noticing the tunic, linen shirt and worn trousers he had on. 
 
Before he could react, a body slams into him stealing his breath.
 
He opens his eyes with a grimace, and that's when he locks eyes with those same ones that has been haunting his dreams.
 
It was Gwiboon herself.