Training Days

The Last Man Standing

Heechul gasped as he took off his socks. Looking at his badly blistered feet, his stomach dipped. Tears gathered in his eyes when he carefully rubbed ointment on the blisters and scratches. When that was done, concentrating on holding in his tears, quickly Heechul crawled under a blanket in his bed, and turned his back to the other people in the camp. Upon making sure that no one would notice, quietly he wept.

 

The blisters and scratches pained him. The knowledge that he would need to train in such condition tomorrow had his spirit quenched. These accounted for some portion of his tears. But the main reason Heechul wept was the unknown future ahead.

 

About a month ago Heechul signed up for the army, to bring bread to his starving siblings and parents; who due to war could no longer make ends meet. He was never physically strong, or skilled in combats. He liked to stay neat and clean. The scars those blisters and scratches might leave behind actually haunted him. If he had a choice, he wanted to study music and be an entertainer. But who would need music in a time of war?

 

When that feeling kindled in him, Heechul didn’t notice. The moment Heechul came to realize it, his inside was already jolted. It was a subtle, insecure, empty feeling. That was a sacred moment Heechul so intensely missed his family. In his head, over and over again their images surfaced. Those eyes of his father, his mother, his brothers and sisters… The day he bade them farewell… Their voices… Their embrace… Heechul recalled his own words… “Do not cry.” “Take good care. I will be back.” “We will win this war and… we will see each other again… We will…” That day, so many times he said those words… That day, so many times he made everyone echo those words… So many times… until those words felt real to them… until they could all believe… those words would become reality…

 

Just like now, into his jolted heart Heechul injected those words… again and again… like a prayer… like a painkiller… like … again and again…

 

Tears trickled down his eyes. All alone… Heechul was very much aware… He’s all alone…

 

***

 

Every day the newly joined cadets got up before sunrise and ran the hills around their training camp.

 

Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right

 

Heechul tried to focus on his captain’s counting.

 

Ever since he entered the training camp, Heechul gave his all. He wanted to be useful, capable, able. He wanted to feed his family. He wanted to defend his motherland. He knew he’s physically weak. So he gave more than everybody else, to prove that he would not be a hindrance.

 

He gave his all. Result was that the first few weeks Heechul barely hang on to the far edge of his unit, all the way enduring the blades punching his abdomen.

 

Heechul didn’t give up. He continued to train. He strived to keep up with his teammates. He conquered hard the negative whispers constantly doubting and shaking his spirit. He would not be a hindrance.

 

Today Heechul dreaded his blister-pained feet forward. Pain from the blisters shot ceaselessly to his fingertips, jolted his nerves all the way up to his scalp, squeezed tears out of his eyes. Heechul gritted his teeth and bravely put one foot in front of another, embracing their heart ripping protests. He had to keep up with his unit. He would not be a hindrance. The rule was that if anyone didn’t complete the run by noon, the unit this person belonged to would have to run extra. That’s the last thing Heechul wanted. He didn’t want to be a hindrance.

 

And then the most haunting scene unfolded in front of him. The distance between Heechul and his teammates stretched. Heechul fought. He demanded his limbs to push harder, move quicker. He neglected those blisters further. But none of those made any difference. The distance continued to stretch. Helplessly watching his teammates’ steady, energetic steps, Heechul’s spirit sank. His self-doubt rang ever so loudly. At the same time descended the feeling of loneliness. All alone… Heechul was very much aware… He’s all alone… He’s left behind… because after all… he’s a hindrance…

 

Vanished… Heechul could no longer see his teammates.

 

Vanished… Heechul could no longer hear his captain.

 

All alone… Heechul was very much aware… He’s all alone…

 

The Sun’s burning touch pressed upon him. At one point, Heechul gave up on keeping up. He halfheartedly continued crawling. He stopped straining his ears. He halted any attempt to grip his captain’s counting.

 

All alone… There’s nobody in vicinity. He’s all alone…

 

What’s more difficult to bear was… no matter how much he wanted to be useful, after all the efforts he put in… he remained a hindrance… after all…

 

……

 

“Are you injured?” A voice, clear as crystal, pierced open the negative whispers.

 

Heechul looked up, and saw his captain Hangeng together with his fellow cadets lined up around the bend.

 

Bewildered, Heechul could not respond. Hangeng came over to check on Heechul. “You’re running in pain. What happened?”

 

Concern in Hangeng’s eyes poured warmth into Heechul’s dispirited heart. Realizing that tears in his eyes could betray him at any moment, quickly Heechul lowered his head. “Blisters…”

 

Without a word Hangeng waved to another cadet Kibum. The two of them came to stand on Heechul’s left and right, and put Heechul’s arms around their shoulders.

 

That day the whole unit ran extra, during which they took turn to carry Heechul along.

 

At dusk, back at their camp, Heechul wanted to apologize.

 

“We are a team. We don’t leave anyone behind.” Hangeng’s smile was gentle. His voice was soft. But the message was assertively brought across.

 

Yes the whole unit had to run extra if anyone failed to complete his run by noon. Yes going forward your teammates may let you down, may not be strong enough, may even be a hindrance. However, you don’t leave your comrades behind.

 

Together you fight. Together you fall. Together you stand. Together you score.

 

Together they ran, when the Sun’s burning.

 

Together they ran, when the rain’s pouring.

 

Together they ran, when the sleet’s avalanching.

 

Heechul, Hangeng, Kibum, Leeteuk, Donghae, Hyukjae, Siwon, Henry.

 

Together they ran… and they never left anyone behind…

 

---------------------------------------

A/N: This is a longer and happier chapter I hope. ^____^

A/N2: Great thanks to all those who read, commented, subscribed and supported!! THANK YOU!!! Saranghae!!

A/N3: Would you be so kind to like my page Joni0717? More likes I collect the better chance I can get my novels published. Please please please~~~

A/N4: I'm very touched that readers from my generation are still here and still remember me. Thanks a lot!!