Teenage Days

The Last Man Standing

To the X-ians, they had lost everything. Their world had been turned upside down. They demanded for justice.

 

Yet on the other side of the border, in X’s neighbor kingdom Y, life just continued as usual. It’s like nothing had ever happened. Everything remained the same. And everything simply went on as it used to be. At most, they had a new neighbor. But that’s no big deal.

 

That provided a perfect shelter for Kibum, who gradually moved to an orphanage in Y. Y was where X was never mentioned, never cared about; where Kibum could lock all agonies up in the most forgotten corner in his heart, and no one, nothing would remind him of X.

 

In the orphanage there was another teenage boy called Kyuhyun, with whom Kibum bonded very well. Kyuhyun had the gift of sympathy. Some would even call it mind-reading. Though Kibum had never revealed anything, Kyuhyun could tell the other was carrying a crushing pain every minute he breathed. Every interaction they had, Kyuhyun listened to Kibum talk about everything but that sorrow concealed so firmly, yet too obvious to miss, behind Kibum’s eyes. By the glimpse of it, Kyuhyun knew it was something capable of crushing Kibum. And because Kyuhyun knew, he was careful not to ask, or steer their conversation in that direction.

 

That’s why they bonded. Kibum felt understood and trusted. He was grateful Kyuhyun just accepted him as the Kibum he was. And in Kibum’s world which had already been painted hopelessly dark, Kyuhyun was the only light he encountered. Kyuhyun had a dream naïve and pure enough to make Kibum smile.

 

Since childhood, Kyuhyun had a heart of sympathy. Living condition was poor and there was a plague. Kyuhyun’s family had no money for medicine and they were left to rot. Like Kibum, Kyuhyun saw his parents die. When the orphanage’s founder Doctor Kang discovered him, Kyuhyun was sincerely praying next to his parents’ bodies, pleading with God to revive them. In the orphanage Kyuhyun never missed a Bible class. He was especially fascinated by the parts in the Bible talking about people being brought back to life. Kyuhyun firmly believed such power existed. He vowed to be a healer, so that no one, poor or wealthy, would be denied medial help. He still prayed every day that he would be granted the holy gift to revive the dead.

 

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore… (Revelation 21:4)

 

Kibum watched Kyuhyun write down this favorite Bible verse of his, tugged the note beneath his pillow, and prayed. Honestly Kibum considered Kyuhyun’s dream naïve. However when it came to Kyuhyun’s heart, Kibum saw purity and beauty, the high virtues Kibum deeply missed, and deeply believed had long extinguished in this world.

 

And then one day, miracle seemed to come their way.

 

That day a nobleman, who called himself Lord Seth, came to visit their orphanage. That day Sarah, daughter of the orphanage’s founder, passed away. Heart broken, Doctor Kang asked Kyuhyun and Kibum to apologize to Lord Seth and take care of the visit.

 

Lord Seth was soft spoken and well mannered. He was tall, slim, charismatic in his shiny black cloak made of fine silk. “Where is Doctor Kang?” With a gentle yet capturing voice, Lord Seth inquired.

 

Upon knowing what happened to Sarah, Lord Seth came to kneel down beside her bed. He took her hand in his and murmured inaudible words. The next second the unimaginable happened. Light shone from Lord Seth’s hands and enveloped Sarah. When the light died down Sarah sat up in her bed, slowly turned her head and looked around.

 

That took everyone’s breath away. Kibum was stunned. Kyuhyun was overjoyed. Doctor Kang immediately wrapped Sarah in his arms and wept. They invited Lord Seth to stay another day but Lord Seth insisted to leave.

 

At the orphanage’s front gate, in a noble, graceful manner, Lord Seth waved them goodbye. At that moment, it flashed inside Kyuhyun that it was now or never. He turned to look at Kibum, who realized right away, that the moment for farewell had arrived.

 

The two teenage boys exchanged an understanding embrace. Kibum patted Kyuhyun’s back. “Go chase after your dream. Don’t forget to write to me. All the best!”

 

Kyuhyun nodded. “Thank you!” Eyes glistening with tears, Kyuhyun broke the hug and rushed to Lord Seth.

 

Kibum watched Kyuhyun’s and Lord’s Seth’s shadows get longer and longer under the sunset. He sniffed and felt hot tears slide down his cheeks. It was too soon and too sudden, that he had to part with Kyuhyun. He was in no way ready for that. His only console was that Kyuhyun had found a good foster father. Wholeheartedly he gave all his best wishes to Kyuhyun.

 

The two teens then walked very different paths.

 

Kyuhyun never saw what happened to Sarah the following day. And that made a huge, very huge difference.

 

Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. (John 8:32)

 

***

 

He was ten when he witnessed the tragic end of his family. When he turned twenty, Kibum thought he had completely put X behind, and perfectly transformed himself into a nobody in Y.

 

Until he saw that notice in the central plaza…

 

It turned out that after ten years, the forces which obliterated X considered it’s time for Y to follow X’s fate. Sensing the unrest at her border, Y distributed notices kingdom-wide to recruit her people to defend their kingdom.

 

No one took it seriously until the battlefield shifted to just around the corner, until the smell of blood became too thick to ignore. The Y-ians finally realized how terrible their potential fate could be. And fear finally pierced all the way through into the Y-ians’ hearts.

 

Kibum signed up for battle.

 

-----------------------------------------

A/N: Great thanks to all those who read, commented, subscribed and supported!! THANK YOU!!! Saranghae!!

A/N2: I think going forward I will update more often but each update will be shorter. Hope you don't mind. I will try my best!

A/N3: Would you be so kind to like my page Joni0717? More likes I collect the better chance I can get my novels published. Please please please~~~ You can also check out there some illustrations I drew for "Road to Redemption". Let me know what you think. ^_____________________^