In the Dark

The Last Man Standing

 A gush of wind swirled inside the chamber and muted the oil lamp. In total darkness Hyukjae felt an icy presence fast approaching from behind. Based on his recollection of the chamber layout, he darted sideway, turned to face this mysterious opponent and recited the alchemic spell of light. A sphere of illuminating orb materialized on his palm. Just when Hyukjae prepared to register his opponent’s image, the light went out.

 

Hyukjae was shocked. But before he could gasp, an overwhelming presence of coldness dashed towards him. Swiftly Hyukjae dodged and cast the spell again. Light flashed for one second and right away got smothered.

 

Blinded by darkness, coldness was his only guide. Hyukjae strained his senses to locate the iciest spot in the chamber. Only then could he dodge or counter attack.

 

How that being managed to extinguish his illuminating orb he couldn’t tell. But Hyukjae’s certain it’s not magic. He couldn’t feel any magical current. It’s more like the being was darkness itself. That being simply swallowed light.

 

The whole time Hyukjae knew where the chamber door was. He could make his escape easily. However, he was concerned about Kyuhyun’s safety. The cleric was weak, unconscious and wouldn’t be able to defend himself. And the nature of this mysterious being was unknown. It’s not in Hyukjae’s character to leave Kyuhyun behind.

 

The moment Hyukjae spared a shred of thought on Kyuhyun, he moved a split second too slowly and the cold blade got him. The blade left a blood trail on his face, near his jaw. That’s alright. Hyukjae was an assassin and this type of injury he was fully capable of sustaining.

 

Well that’s what he thought.

 

As the fight continued the blood trail on Hyukjae’s face burnt more and more seriously. The scotching sensation gradually consumed Hyukjae’s focus. Venom…

 

His steps started to falter. He felt swiftness evaporate from him. He tried with all his might to shake clear his clouded senses. Nevertheless, what he continued to feel was the burning sensation, dizziness, numbness, and fear… and desperation… Hae… Donghae…

 

“Stop! Nightfrost!” The cleric spoke, and right away coughed.

 

The icy coldness halted. Hyukjae heard a hissing voice. “Young master, no other warmblood is allowed in your chamber. Nightfrost forgets not the great master’s order.”

 

“I will answer to my father…” Kyuhyun coughed again.

 

“This is not wise young master.”

 

“Nightfrost… Withdraw…”

 

“This is not wise young master. But Nightfrost will take his leave.”

 

The whole conversation took place in darkness. Hyukjae couldn’t get a glimpse of this servant or minion called Nightfrost. The venom continued to seep into his veins and peel off his senses. Hyukjae leaned against a wall, panting, sweating.

 

……

 

Kyuhyun lit the oil lamp. The sphere of light claimed a humble circle from its surrounding darkness. Oil lamp in his hand, the cleric approached Hyukjae to check on him.

 

The cleric himself looked icy pale. “It’s you? It’s alright. I will take care of you…”

 

The last vision of Hyukjae was the concern in Kyuhyun’s eyes. It’s genuine. Hyukjae had no doubt… when his slumped body collapsed…

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: When I started posting this story, I had already completed maybe 15 chapters. But for some reason I decided to re-write this part. Therefore it took longer to update. Sorry about that.

A/N2: I quite like the name Nightfrost!

A/N3: Would you be so kind to like my page Joni0717? More likes I collect the better chance I can get my novels published. Please please please~~