#05

Fingertip Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seojoon wouldn't stop asking me the same question ever since I told him about my decision.

After he told Daniel's father that our side is ready to meet up, the older man straight away set up a dinner in two days, which made him super wary of their side. I obviously knew their reason but decided to keep it to myself.

"Do you really want to do this?" He asks again for the nth time as we walk out of the elevator towards the hotel's restaurant for the family meeting. "Are you sure about this?" I rub Seojoon's back softly to calm him down a bit. "I already made up my mind and I'm not going to change it anytime soon." 

Seongwoo's reaction was not any better; I literally facepalmed myself when he asked whether he should be Daniel's best man or my maid of honour. 

"How do I look?" I stop on my tracks and Seojoon glances at my hair, face and my navy blue floral dress before nodding. "You look fine. Don't worry, they like you already." 

I raise my eyebrow at him as he pulls me by my arm into the restaurant. After mentioning the Kang's name, we were ushered to a private room and my heart started to beat faster than ever. Seojoon squeezes my shoulder lightly before pushing the door open and all eyes in the room turn to us. 

"Hello," my brother says, both of us bowing slightly and the family of three greet us back happily. "Come and have a seat, Seojoon, Soeun."

As I walked deeper into the room, my eyes met with Daniel's; a warm smile spreading across his face upon contact. Seojoon pulled the chair opposite Daniel for me while he took the seat near Mr, Kang. 

"I must say you look more beautiful in person, Soeun," Mrs. Kang voices out and I blush at her sudden comment. "Thank you." 

Mr. Kang motions to the menu, "Shall we order first?" 

Everything went on smoothly after that; we talked a bit about work while waiting for our food and somehow the conversation slowly focused on me and my childhood stories, thanks to a certain brother of mine. But I was temporarily saved when Daniel's parents started sharing his too. The most amusing part was when his mother mentioned about his once pink hair during high school. His face turned really red as he confessed in a low voice, "I don't know what made me dye my hair." 

"But, it actually looked nice on him and cute too," Mrs. Kang chuckles as her husband shakes his head, quietly munching on his food. "We still have the pictures until now."

I laugh, remembering that Seojoon did the exact same thing one time. Everyone turns to me at my abruptness, "Is there something you'd like to share with us, Soeun?" 

I was lucky that my brother only realized a second later, "Seojoon came home one day with this weird hairstyle, saying that he wanted to be a rockstar. Dad made him cut his hair really short that very day." 

My brother frowns, looking very unamused and the Kangs' face expression turned really soft at the mention of my father. For a brief moment, I wondered how it would be if dad is here with us. Sensing the change in the atmosphere, Seojoon smoothly comments about the food he's having and Daniel joins in, both talking animatedly. 

But, of course in the end, the real reason we gathered had to be brought up. 

"So," Mr. Kang drawls while pushing his empty dessert plate away. "Now, can we hear your answer?" 

I stopped chewing instantly, swallowing whatever left inside my mouth and put my cutleries down with Seojoon mirroring my actions. The nervousness I felt earlier just doubled that very moment. My brother dabbed his mouth with a napkin before throwing me a glance, silently relaying a Ready?. I simply nodded.

"I think we could choose a date to announce the engagement soon." 

"Does that mean-" Mrs. Kang pauses. "Oh my, it's on, isn't it?" 

At a simple nod from myself, the Kangs' face broke into wide smiles; it was so obvious how Daniel tried to cover his happiness in front of Seojoon.

"That's great news," Mr. Kang exclaims. His wife nods along, "We're so happy to hear this."

Being overwhelmed by their reaction would be an understatement. We are beyond shocked.

"This calls for a toast," Mr. Kang lifts his champagne flute and the rest of us follow. 

"To the union of our family and to Soeun and Daniel." 

 

 

I mentally sighed in relief as everyone stood, having put on their coats and ready to leave the room. The rest of the dinner went well; both families even managed to plan for an engagement party which Seojoon wholeheartedly insisted on holding it at our residence. 

"I'd like to do it on behalf of my father," he has said. "It's the least I can do after making all of you wait." 

Even after exiting the dining room, Seojoon kept on talking with Daniel's parents until we reached the hotel's grand lobby, leaving me and Daniel on our own. They were so absorbed in their discussion that they didn't even realize us slowly falli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter