Six

Don't give up so easily

Wendy groaned and turned to look at her clock, and just as she suspected, she had woken much earlier than her alarm. Wendy had awaken from a restless sleep, and she knew there was no point in trying to get more hours in. So she rubbed her eyes and rolled out of bed ready to make herself some coffee. It was only then that she realized she could smell that some had already been brewed. If that wasn’t enough indication that someone was already awake at this outrageous time, she then saw the light coming through from underneath the door.

Wendy knew that it could be either 1 of 2 people; Yeri waking up abnormally early or Seulgi, come to raid her fridge after a long night of furious painting. Wendy kind of wanted it to be the latter because it’s been awhile since Seulgi’s done that, and she missed having her there in the morning. Yet at the same time she didn’t want to face her just yet. Which was a horrible feeling to have.

 She didn’t have to worry about that though because there Yeri was sitting at the table sipping coffee.
"What are you doing up so early?” Wendy asked squinting against the bright light that her eyes were still too sensitive to handle.
Yeri glanced up at her surprised for a moment, but soon enough her signature side grin appeared on her face. "I can ask the same to you."
"What’s that smile for?" Wendy knew that smile. She usually wore it when she knew something Wendy didn’t want her to know.
“Are you back with Seulgi or what?"
"What?" Wendy asks taken aback at her forwardness. Usually Yeri liked to dangle whatever information she had out of arms reach just to watch Wendy suffer. "What makes you think that?"

Yeri’s smile grew wider. She didn’t bother to answer before taking a sip from her coffee. Wendy rolled her eyes and turned away to serve herself some of that coffee. By now Wendy was used to Yeri’s dramatics, but it was still annoying.
"Nothing. Just that you were murmuring her name in your sleep,"
"I do not talk in my sleep.” Wendy avoided turning around as she put the creamer in her cup so Yeri wouldn’t see the blush on her face. She knew perfectly well that she did on some rare occasions, and she hated it.
"You do when you're stressed."
"I'm not stressed... Work has been pretty easy."
" I think we both know it isn't work that's bothering you."
"Yeah..." Wendy resigned lamely deciding to just give in. She was just too tired to fight Yeri, and maybe it would do her some good. Yeri wasn’t gonna let up, and this wasn’t something she could talk through with Seulgi, her usual go to.
"What exactly is the problem?"
Wendy turned to face Yeri and saw a rare genuinely concerned look on her face, and it struck her as sweet, making it all the more easy to tell her little sister her problems. "Um Seulgi still loves me and this girl Irene… She kissed me,” Wendy sighed not knowing what else to say about Irene and gave up “We don't have to talk about this."
"Wendy," Yeri said sternly.
Wendy took a second to answer, trying to find the best and shortest reply.
"I kind of like her. "
“You like her? Better than Seulgi?” Yeri asked the surprise evident in her voice.
"No. I mean not better. Just-" Wendy stopped not really knowing where she was planning on going with that.
"Wendy, you should know by now," Yeri chided.
"Know what by now?" Yeri chose not to answer that question, and waited for Wendy to look up at her again.
"You know when you choose one you're going to lose the other. Who do you think you can manage to live without and who not?”

 When Wendy thought she was done, Yeri continued in a rant like fashion.
"I mean who loved you enough to leave you. Who's the one that's been here through everything and continues to do everything she can to brighten your day?”

“Seulgi,” Wendy responded wide eyed, shocked at Yeri’s passion about it.

“Yes, Exactly!” Yeri all but yelled. “I mean, Wendy, my dumb yet smart older sister, have you ever pictured your future and not seen Seulgi in it?”

Wendy didn’t have to think about the answer to that. Of course not. Seulgi was always in the equation and there was no other way she wanted it. “No, but… I don’t think I’d lose her.”

Yeri closed her eyes like she was disappointed. “Maybe not, but that’s because she loves you too much to let you go completely, but it would certainly break her, and then it would have to be you who would need to break the tie because it would be the only way she’d be able to move on.”

Yeri left her with that. She took her coffee and went straight to her room, clearly angry with Wendy.

Although it made a lot of sense, Wendy wasn’t sure how much advice she should take from her younger sister. How could she know so much about how things would work out?

Wendy also knew that she could give her more credit. Maybe she was just being stubborn, trying to hold onto a fantasy where she could have the best of both worlds. A world where she got to find out what dating Irene was like, and yet still have Seulgi around.

That wasn’t right either. Seulgi had to be more than a friend in any ‘best’ scenario.

Wendy stared down at her coffee feeling disgusted with herself.

 

Wendy worked like a robot. It was lucky that she was so familiar with everything or she would have been a train wreck. She was glad that no noticed how far out of it she was that day.

She would have stayed in that robotic state all day if she hadn’t gotten a text from her.

Wendy heard that buzz on her desk, and immediately stopped moving. She knew that it was going to be one of two people, and frankly she wasn’t sure how to handle either.

Wendy knew that she wouldn’t be able to finish her work if she didn’t at least look, so she reached out for her phone, and opened the text.

The text wasn’t anything like she anticipated. Reading it actually made her smile and even laugh. It flipped her mood so suddenly, she wondered how she managed to stay away from her for so long. Her heart seized with such a strong feeling of adoration, she could do nothing but grip her phone tightly.

Only Seulgi could text her the stupidest thing ever and lay all her worries to rest. It read: Ay Wan! I was out innocently buying paints for my work and this guy ruined the serenity by letting out the smelliest fart ever!

Finally, after the tight feeling had passed, she responded with: HAHAHAH OOH you’re one to talk! I distinctly remember a time where my eyes literally BURNED from one of your farts!

It took only seconds for Seulgi to send a response: WOW I can’t believe you would bring that up! But you’re right I guess I’ll let this guy slide… 😂 

Wendy laughed again, but before she could respond, there was a knock on her door.

“Come in.” Wendy looked up expecting her assistant only to see Irene, a beautiful yet surprising sight.

“This isn’t a bad time, is it?” Irene asked as she was walking in anyway. She looked less polished than usual, and the look on her face exhibited urgency.

“No.” Even if it was, Wendy wasn’t about to push her out in that state. “Have a seat.”

“Thank you,” Irene said as she did just that.

There was a small awkward pause as Wendy waited for Irene to start, but soon enough she realized that Irene needed prompting.

“Um, What’s up?” Wendy said too casually, but the situation brought back some of that feeling of anxiety.

“I had this feeling last night,” Irene started, only to stop with a face that looked like regret. Before Wendy could even assure her, Irene breathed out, and put on a mask of composure. “I know what you have with Seulgi is established and safe. If I was in your position, I’m not sure I would be willing to give that up.” Irene stopped and gave Wendy a look that would have weakened her knees if she were standing. “But I know what I feel when I’m with you, and I know you feel something too. My argument is that this is something worth exploring because if it is what I think it is, then it is the one thing everyone dedicates their life to find.”

Wendy swallowed hard, dreading to hear these exact words. Her thoughts were interrupted by another buzz that came from the phone on her desk, and it made her feel even worse. But she knew that Irene expected a response, so she gave her the best she could give at that time. “I do feel it too… I just need time.”

Irene’s face dropped in disappointment, but she nodded in understanding. “Of course. I just had to make my case.”

“No, of course. I-I’m sorry I didn’t have the response you wanted to hear.”

Irene face lightened up a bit then. “There’s no reason to apologize. I’m gonna head out before I embarrass myself even more.”

“You didn’t do anything embarrassing. It was brave.” Wendy said desperately trying to leave Irene’s ego intact.

“Right.” Irene said as she smiled at her from the door. “You better respond to that text you’ve been itching to look at.”

“No, Irene…” Wendy didn’t really have anything to say.
Irene only smiled, opened the door and walked out. She was gone just like that.

Wendy could do nothing but blink the tears, which had just formed, away. It seemed almost wrong to immediately pick up her phone to see what Seulgi had sent her, but she needed to.

It said: Hey I’m gonna be finishing up my most perfect piece yet. I’d love for you to come by and see it tonight.

Even in a moment full of ache, Wendy couldn’t even consider the thought of hurting Seulgi for it. So she wrote: Of course I’ll come see my favorite artist. I can’t wait.

 

Her heart hammered in her chest. She was starting to have second thoughts. Maybe she should have waited a little more so Wendy could suss things out herself. No, Seulgi.  She told herself. You have to do this now.

It all started feeling scary for Seulgi the moment she left Wendy’s apartment the night she kissed her. If Wendy didn’t choose her then she knew that this would be the end of any sort of relationship with Wendy. That wouldn’t do. She couldn’t let that happen.

Seulgi was walking around her studio making sure everything was perfect for the hundredth time. She had to do something with her nervous energy even if it meant checking the same aspects of her set up over and over again.

But when she heard her text ping go off, she immediately stopped what she was doing and whipped out her phone. When she read the text of Wendy telling her that’d she’d be right up, her heart pounded harder than ever before. Seulgi had no idea why. It’s Wendy for god’s sake. I know her well enough to not be nervous. Yet, she knew that the stakes have never been higher.

Before her panic could reach any real momentum the door opened, and what she saw walk through the threshold put an immediate stop to her heart. It was Wendy looking just as beautiful as always, but dressed in attire she hardly got to see.

Seulgi was so shell shocked, she could do nothing but watch as Wendy took in the set up Seulgi had done for her. There were strung up lights everywhere, the place was probably on the brink of being a fire hazard, with flower petals to top it off, of course.

“Seulgi, this is- this is amazing,” Wendy managed to breathe out in awe.

It took hearing her voice to bring Seulgi out of her mystified state.

“Oh it’s nothing really,” Seulgi said with a bashful smile as she walked over to take Wendy’s hand. “It’s just a little something I did last minute. You’re the one that’s amazing.”

To Seulgi’s relief, Wendy didn’t hesitate to grip Seulgi’s hand back in par.

“Something you did last minute?” Wendy laughed almost sounding like she was on the brink of tears. “Seulgi, don’t be coy, this is remarkable. And I-“

Seulgi stopped Wendy before she could start, scared of where Wendy intended to steer the conversation.

“Let me finish showing you everything before you start talking.”

Seulgi pulled her to the back of the studio, where a painting was covered in a white sheet waiting to be revealed.

“This is probably the fastest painting that I’ve ever finished, and I think I can acredit that to the muse. I mean,” Seulgi turned to fully face Wendy, so she could look her straight in the eyes as she talked. “You’ve been my muse many times, but the emotion that came flooding at the thought of losing you forever was strong enough to push me through.”

“Seulgi-“ Wendy tried starting again, with tear stained eyes. Seulgi didn’t want to consider what that meant.

“Let me just show you it first.” Seulgi’s throat suddenly felt tight.

Seulgi didn’t dare drop Wendy’s hand, so she pulled her right up to it and pulled the sheet down with one hand.

She heard Wendy gasp right beside her. What Wendy was looking at was the scene of how they first met. A lot of people called it the beginning to the perfect love story, and as far as Seulgi was concerned it still was.

“Seulgi,” Wendy was at a loss for words, but she knew she needed to say exactly what she was thinking. “This is so amazing. Your painting is the most incredible thing I have ever seen, and everything you did in here is… Well I’m astounded.” Wendy didn’t break eye contact with Seulgi once, and she watched as Seulgi’s eyes filled with her own tears. “I can’t even believe this is real. I can’t even believe that you’re real, and that a person as perfect as you has stuck with me this whole time. Even after everything I put you through.”

“No Wendy,” Seulgi started, but it was Wendy’s turn to interrupt her.

“No. I didn’t recognize the act of love you did for me when you let me push you away, and I can’t even understand how I ever let it be a question of whether or not to be with you. Because of course- Of course it’s you, Seulgi. It’s always been you and it will always be you.”

Seulgi couldn’t help it she let out a soft sob of relief and buried her head in Wendy’s shoulder. Wendy held her tight and whispered, “I love you,” into her hair.

Seulgi pulled back, now wearing a teary faced smile, and replied, “I love you too. Always.” And kissed her.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

um it's probably not what i intended what i started this but i honestly just wanted to at the very least finish it

sorry if it's not what you wanted