Three

Don't give up so easily

“What is Wendy doing?”

“Looks like she’s moping. It’s not that abnormal. Come on let’s just go to my room so I don’t have to look at her sad face.”

Joy didn’t move when Yeri tugged on her arm. “Hey Wendy, What are you so sad about?”

Wendy narrowed her eyes and didn’t answer. She chose to take a sip of her cup of tea instead while she continued to try and focus on the documents in front of her. She wasn’t moping anyway. She was too old for that kind of thing. No, she was just trying to put her negative feelings into her work. It wasn’t working too well, but that was besides the point.

“She’s been like this since Seulgi went on her date.”

“Seulgi? Ain’t she over her yet?”

“I thought so too. Hey Wendy, you still in love with Seulgi?”

Wendy sighed. She knew living with her sister was going to be hard, but she didn’t know she’d also have to account for her friend Joy. “I thought you were going to your room.”

“We will, but I’m really interested in what’s going on with you and Seulgi. And… Who’s this girl she’s going out with? Is she pretty? Is she prettier than me?” Joy laughed and flipped her hair. “As if that were possible.”

Wendy rolled her eyes at Joy’s usual over self-appreciation. “If was between you and her date, I’d choose her date every time. But I guess that’s an unfair judgment, considering how well I know you.”

Joy stuck her tongue out at Wendy childishly.

“Wait…” Yeri was grinning after realizing that there something she knew her sister was trying to hide. “Is it her date you’re jealous of, or is it Seulgi? You know this girl don’t you?”

Wendy made sure to look away before answering so hopefully they wouldn’t be able to read her face. “I mean I met her at the party. We were both there.”

Her smile somehow managed to get bigger, but Wendy wasn’t looking so she wasn’t able to step out of the way of her set up. “Did this girl happen to be at the last one?” She managed to ask it in an even tone.

“Um, yeah she actually was.”

“I’m so glad I decided not to say anything about it before.” She laughed and slapped Joy’s shoulder. “This is the same girl you made out with, isn’t it?”

Wendy had a hard time maintaining an even expression. How did she know about that? … I must have started talking when I got home. “No, that was a different girl. But I hate that you know about that.” Please let this lie get by her. Just this once.

It wasn’t normal for Wendy to readily admit to something that she otherwise didn’t want Yeri to know about, so Yeri was thrown off.

“So it is Seulgi that you’re moping over?”

“No, I’m just upset that we went there to get me a date, and it was Seulgi that left with one. That’s all. Like I need another blow at my ego.”

“Alright you’ve bored me. But I want to see this girl, so get on that.” Joy finished and pulled Yeri to her room.

She wanted to see the girl too. She could only wonder what they were doing.

 

“Are you okay? We can go somewhere else if you want. Wendy’s really the one that knows the good places to eat, but I didn’t feel right asking her…” Seulgi asked from across Irene, looking at her worriedly.

“No, the foods great. I guess work is bothering me still. I just haven’t switched my work brain off yet.” Irene tried to assure her. The food really was good. There was just something else on her mind. Or someone…

“That must be a trait of working in the law business. Wendy sometimes has trouble leaving work away from life too.”

That was the second time in under a minute Seulgi had mentioned Wendy. It seemed like Seulgi’s mind was on the same someone she shouldn’t have been thinking about. It was impossible to miss the gleam in her eye every time she mentioned her too. Maybe…

“So Wendy… There’s history between you guys, am I wrong?” She wasn’t afraid to be direct. Sometimes it was required for work. Plus, she really had to know. She’s decided after the couple days that went by since the last party that she needed to see Wendy again. She couldn’t get her out of her mind and it was driving her crazy.

Seulgi paused. The food she was just about to put in left floating before her lips. “Was there something I did that made it obvious?” She looked apologetic.

Irene smiled amused by her reaction. She wasn’t sure how to feel by the answer though. Maybe it was better that they already tried their thing. Wendy wouldn’t take a path she already traveled, right? The problem was that it seemed like Seulgi still had unresolved feelings. She just had to hope it was Wendy that called things off.

“I just have to read people for a living, so I’m good at it. You’ve been okay.” She didn’t need to tell Seulgi that she was being obvious. “You guys managed to stay friends? That’s not something everyone can do.”

“Yeah. Wendy’s not the kind of person you can so easily let out your life. Plus, someone’s gotta watch out for her selfless tendencies. That girl, I tell you, she’d give her literal heart up if someone asked.” She shook her head with an alarmingly fond smile. “I’m sorry. It’s definitely wrong to talk about an ex. I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” Seulgi blushed and smacked her head softly.

Despite being on a date with Seulgi, Wendy was all she wanted to hear about. “No, don’t worry about it. I’m the one asking the questions anyway. Was it a mutual break up? That’s the only way I can imagine you still being so close.” The more she heard about Wendy, the more hopeful she got.

She hadn’t been able to understand why Wendy had said what she did on the balcony. Letting her go with Seulgi so easily. She’d only asked Seulgi to get a reaction from Wendy. She did, but it wasn’t exactly the one she was looking for. But if Wendy was as selfless as Seulgi said, stepping out of the way for her friend was something she would definitely do.

She knew there had been more to that night than just a kiss. It was… magic. It was the only word she could find to fit at the moment.

Seulgi didn’t look like she believed her. “Are you sure? I mean, this is definitely a first for me.” She laughed awkwardly. “Talking about an ex on a date? Sounds crazy.”

“No it’s not. It’s good to know about someone’s past. That’s what I always believed.”

Seulgi nodded, but the doubt was still on her face. “Alright then. It was… It was sort of… mutual.” She cleared looking a little uncomfortable now. “I guess I should be honest, if this is the start of something… I don’t feel the same way now or anything.” She picked up her glass of water and took a sip. Irene waited patiently, wanting to know everything. “She was the one that had suggested we take a break. I thought things were fine. I mean I understood that at the time that her work was extremely busy, but I had no problem with that. I knew things would settle down. There was no need for anything drastic.”

“Wendy – She was worth the wait.” Once Seulgi had started there was no stopping it. She had kept it in for so long, the floodgate couldn’t be closed. She needed to vent. “I know that at times I was hurt to be left behind, but I couldn’t stop those feelings. It didn’t mean I couldn’t manage. But she doesn’t want to be the reason of any pain, so ending it was easier for her. I wanted to do what was easier for her, so I didn’t put up too much of a fight. I wanted to keep some sort of relationship.”

“I figured eventually maybe things could go back to what we were meant to be. What I thought we were meant to be at the time, I mean. But friends… She likes being friends, and well friends it is. The best though. We’re the best of friends.”

It definitely wasn’t date material, but that wasn’t what Irene was here for after all, so what difference did it make. It was obvious that Seulgi wasn’t okay with friends. Irene’s jaw tightened a bit. She liked Seulgi, but Irene wanted her chance.

“Friends – you can’t underrate that.”

“No, you really can’t.” It wasn’t ideal, but she was still close. I still get to hold her sometimes. Like the other night. It was such a good night. She couldn’t stop the threaten of a smile at the thought. tilted up a bit.

“Has Wendy moved on with someone else yet?”

Seulgi didn’t respond right away. These questions were really Wendy centric, and that didn’t sit right with her. Is this really a date?

“I’m sorry. Have I gone too far?”

“I just don’t want to make you uncomfortable. How ‘bout we move on to a new subject?”

Irene saw the way Seulgi closed up. She’d get no more information now. It was okay. She suspected she knew the answer already.

Once they stopped talking about Wendy, they ended up having a more pleasant time together. Maybe I was letting my feelings for Wendy get in the way before. I do get defensive on her behalf. I did promise myself I would try harder to move on. I owe myself that much. Irene seems like a good start.

 

 

She had an itch to call her. She really wanted to know how the date went. They were friends, right? She was in her right to do that. So she did.

There was never a time that seeing her name light up her phone didn’t make her smile. “Hey there, Wendy.” She smiled into her phone. She was finally laying down in her bed, freshly washed.

Wendy was in a similar position, comfortable in her dark room. “Hey there. So you answered, which means you’re alone, which means it was a proper date, huh?”

“It was as proper as it gets. A dinner and a short walk around downtown. Nothing like our first date I must say, but still good.” She couldn’t help but bring up their date up. It was the one she compared every other one to.

“Ah, our first date.” Wendy remembered it just as fondly. “That’s an unfair comparison to any date.”

Seulgi pressed her phone a bit closer to her ear, turning in her bed with an uncontrollable grin. It made her so happy that Wendy remembered it the same way she did.

“Are you going to see her again then?” Wendy wanted her to say no, but at the same time, Seulgi was the only connection she had to Irene now.

“I probably will.”

“All you have to do is call.”

“Yeah, I most likely will.” Seulgi didn’t care to talk about Irene with Wendy. “Wan?”

“Yes, Seulgi-bear?”

Seulgi’s heart soared in response to the pet name. She had hoped using Wendy’s would prompt that sort of response. After the other night, it seemed like Wendy might start using it like before. What would it mean if she did?

“Let me take you to lunch tomorrow. I know you’ve probably been staring at those documents you lugged home from work all day. It’ll be my treat.”

Wendy chuckled. Seulgi did know her well, there was no disputing that. “I’d love that. A free meal, how could I say no?”

“Great. I’ll see you then. Get some sleep. Rest those busy eyes of yours.”

“I will. You sleep too. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Okay. I love you, Wendy.”

“I love you too, Seulgi. Goodnight.”

 

 yee haw three day back to back updates

what an accomplisment

anyway the majority of y'all, from what i've seen in the comments, seem to be wenrene shippers 

just an observation and nothing else :P

hope you liked this update

feel free to tell me if you did ;)