One

Don't give up so easily

“Listen, I know you mean well and all, but I think you need to start being more selfish. Like, for real.” Her younger sister said looking at her disapprovingly. She was leaning on the counter while Wendy chopped the vegetables for dinner tonight.

“I told you I would try, alright. I’m not going to just change like that. I’m not a switch. Anyway, you might not understand this, but it really makes me happy to do things for people.”

“Okay, but if you give up everything you have to other people, eventually you’ll have nothing left for yourself.”

“I’ll have the pleasure of having helped so many people out.”

Yeri rolled her eyes and groaned. “You’re helpless, I swear. I’m leaving now, don’t wait up for me.”

“Are you staying at Joy’s tonight?”

“Yep! See yah!” Yeri slammed the door on her way out. Not out of anger but out of carelessness.

“You could have at least told me before I started cooking.” She grumbled annoyed. There was definitely going to be a lot of leftovers tonight.

Wendy sighed feeling dispirited after their little conversation. It wasn’t the first time she’d heard that. Her family and friends were always telling her to be more selfish. But it really just didn’t seem to be in her nature to act that way. It was her first reaction to give. It definitely felt better than keeping it for herself when she knew they could use it or even if they just wanted it. Whatever it was. Their smile always made it worth it.

Today, Yeri was yelling at her for giving up the last maple glazed donut at their favorite donut shop, but it was such a little thing. Wendy really didn’t mind getting something else for one day.

It’s what everyone said, though. They couldn’t all possibly be wrong. Could they? No. Wendy thought. I guess I should put more effort into it and see how things change. If things get better, then maybe I’ll change my ways for good.

“Thank god you made too much for yourself because I had no idea what I was going to eat tonight.” Seulgi said with a mouth full of food.

“Seulgi, you never do. Anyway, I told you that you were always welcome to come by for dinner. You just have to tell me so I can make enough for you.”

Seulgi chewed some of her food with a frown before answering. “I know, but I don’t want to feel too much like a mooch. You already do so much for me.”

“I’m already cooking anyway, so really I’m just changing the quantity.” Wendy assured her.

“Yeah-yeah, I’ll think about it. Thanks though, Wan.”

“No prob…” Wendy murmured. “Oh!” She said startling Seulgi a bit.

“Woah, what is it?” Seulgi looking at her with startled eyes.

“Sorry, I just remembered that tomorrows the companies party. You can still go with me, right? I really don’t want to go to that alone. The people there aren’t… horrible, but I don’t really want to go stag.”

“Yeah, I can still go. How nice do I have to dress? I don’t want to show up looking like a bum.”

“I’d recommend a dress or something of that nature. It’s a company thing, which means it’s a big event. But they have free drinks and the food is fantastic.” She said trying to sell it up.

Seulgi smirked watching Wendy try so hard. She didn’t need to be sold on anything. She’d be more than willing just because Wendy asked her. “Okay, I think I got something...” Seulgi sighed in a disappointed way. “I was kind of hoping it’d be something crazy.”

Wendy laughed. “You’d be surprised. Everyone starts off sort of timid, but once the drinks start flowing… Well, you’ll see.”

Seulgi looked at her with a surprised, amused expression. “Really now? Did you go crazy last time? Is that why you want me there? To make sure you don’t do something dumb?”

“What?” Wendy scoffed trying to hide her true thoughts. “I try not to drink too much around those people.”

“You’re lying! I can tell! Oh my god!” Seulgi looked at her a lot more interested now. She even scooched her chair a bit closer. “What did you do? I know how you get when you’re drunk. You get so flirty. I mean that’s how we met.” Seulgi teased.

Wendy blushed at the memory. She couldn’t regret it now considering that the whole incident got her her current best friend, but it was still embarrassing.

“Am I really that bad of a liar?” Wendy grumbled disappointed to be caught.

“Yes, now tell me.” Seulgi begged. “You haven’t had anything juicy like this for sooo long.”

“Alright, but it isn’t all that interesting. I was alone last time, and I didn’t know anyone, so maybe I over drank a bit. I was anxious.” She explained. “Then this girl, the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen, by the way.”

“Most beautiful girl you’ve ever seen since me, you mean.”

“Right. Since you. Anyway, we talked for a bit you know… And then we made out on the balcony. It was no big deal.” That was definitely a lie. She always went back to that night. She knew that she was the most beautiful girl she’d seen, but she didn’t really remember her too well. It . Especially because it was maybe the best kiss she’d ever had. Maybe it was because she was drunk, but she swore sparks flew.

“No big deal?! You should have told me you made out with someone! Was that all you did?!” Seulgi exclaimed throwing her hands out in disbelief. “Is she going to be there tomorrow?”

“I dunno. Maybe. ” Hopefully. It would be enough just to see her again. Maybe if she saw her she would remember what she looked like. “And yes, that’s all we did, thank god. Anyway, I don’t really know what she looks like. That’s the tricky part.”

“You were that drunk?”

“Look, I drank too fast. I was nervous. You know me.” Wendy tried to defend herself.

Seulgi sat back in her chair and reached for her drink. “Damn… I hope she’s there. You need someone.”

“Hey! I do okay. I just haven’t really been interested in anyone lately.”
“That’s probably because you don’t try. You’re gay. You gotta try harder for this stuff. You know that.”

Wendy rolled her eyes. She did know that. It was just tiring to try. Work was enough as it was.

 

Wendy was just grabbing her keys when Seulgi burst through her door without warning. She was so used to it, it didn’t even bother her anymore. Which probably wasn’t such a good thing considering there was still always the possibility that it could be some murderer, burglar or something.

“Damn, Wendy.” Seulgi whistled. “Seems like you’re really hoping to meet someone tonight.” Seulgi grinned at her while wiggling her eyebrows.

Wendy had to hold back an eye roll. “Nah, I just dress to impress.” Lies.

“Job well done then. If I didn’t know you, I certainly wouldn’t turn you down.”

Wendy looked down shyly now. She didn’t want to say she had lingering feelings from their failed relationship, but she certainly still had an effect on her. “Thanks. You look amazing as well. As per usual, though.”

“Ah you flatter me.” Seulgi grinned. “Come on, I don’t want to be late. I’m hoping to see this mystery girl of yours. And you’re not driving. I got us a car. I don’t want you to hold back tonight, and I don’t want to either.” She said taking the keys from Wendy’s grasp.

“Ah, you think of everything.” Wendy walked through the door Seulgi was holding open for her, just brushing her softly. She smells really good tonight. The thought came unexpectedly. She hadn’t really thought anything like that about Seulgi since the end.

“Hey, I always thought I took good care of you.” Seulgi closed the door behind her firmly, locking the door with the keys she took from her friend.

Wendy smiled at the memories. She really did. It was rare for her to have felt so taken care of. Usually, she was the one in that position. Not that she didn’t follow her usual patterns, but often times, the girl that was so known for absentmindedness would be one step ahead of her. Seulgi had said it was the only time she thought so much about the future. She wanted alleviate some of Wendy’s stress. That’s what she said. I guess she didn’t stop doing it.

“You did. You still do.” Wendy gave her a sweet thankful smile.

“Anything for my Wan.” Seulgi easily returned the smile and hesitantly looked away. “We don’t want to keep the driver waiting.” She grabbed Wendy’s hand and pulled her towards the elevator.

 

“What kind of people do you work with?” Seulgi looked around at the well-dressed bunch of people, hardly hiding her disgust at their high noses. I can see why Wendy isn’t close with these people. She’s way too good for them. Seulgi glanced at Wendy worriedly. How does she survive here? Do they step all over her?

“Mostly a bunch of snobs, but trust me, they at least know how to party. It just takes some time to escalate.” Wendy said sipping from her drink, glad to get some alcohol in her.

“Wendy! There’s our girl. You having fun? Oh! I see you’ve brought a friend. A very pretty one at that.” Heechul, one of Wendy’s colleagues, said taking one of Seulgi’s hands and giving it a kiss. Seulgi already thought he was a tool. She took her hand away trying not to offend him by giving him a smile.

“Hey, Heechul,” Wendy replied not nearly as enthusiastic as he was. “She’s off limits,” she added not bothering to beat around the bush.

“Why?” He pouted for a second. It disappeared when a wide sleazy grin replaced it. “She one of your girl’s?”

“Yeah, as far as you’re concerned, she’s one of my girls.” Wendy said already tired of him. He was always like this. She’s pretty sure he liked that fact that she wouldn’t humor him. The smile he always wore when he spoke to her was a good indicator of that. Their interactions weren’t like the other poor girls in the office. Maybe he found it refreshing.

Seulgi looked at Wendy with a proud smirk. Maybe she didn’t know Wendy as much as she thought. Is this work Wendy? I can see how she gets by if this is the case. I could get used to seeing this from her. I like it…

“That’s just too bad because you are astonishingly beautiful.”

“Ah thank you. I’m afraid I haven’t had enough to drink to really feel flattered though.” Seulgi said and took a big drink. Heechul reeled back on his heels and laughed.

“I like this girl, Wendy. Bring her around more often. And if you guys are looking for some party favors, I’m your guy.” He grinned at them and left to chat up some other people.

“Woah, who was that guy?” Seulgi said, watching Heechul with a mildly disgusted look.

“He’s the guy that’s one step above me.”

Seugli’s eyes popped open in disbelief. “Really? That guy?”

“Yep.”

“You work at a law firm, right? Like, I’m not mistaken, am I?”

“Nope, you are correct.” Wendy smiled at how baffled Seulgi was. She was truly adorable.

“Wow… You think I could get a job here.” Seulgi fully turned to her now so she could set a hand on Wendy’s shoulder, like she was really hopeful about the prospect.

“Absolutely not.” Wendy chuckled. “Despite the guy’s appearance, he’s actually really good at his job.”

Seulgi frowned and dropped her hand. “Boo. Let’s lift my spirits by getting another drink.”

Wendy laughed as Seulgi pulled back towards the bar.

 

“Is that her?” Seulgi asked for the millionth time, checking out the girl that had just passed by.

“I already told you probably not. And I say ‘probably’ because, as I’ve already said, I don’t remember what she looked like.”

“You’re dooming us to fail.” Seulgi sulked while still watching over the crowd, which was a lot wilder now.

“It was never my objective to begin with.”

“Wendy, I beg you to at least try for someone else tonight.”

Wendy grimaced and looked into her empty cup. She didn’t really want to meet a girl at some party. She’s was really never the kind of girl for one night stands. Maybe if I drink enough… No, I’ll just throw up and I wouldn’t even remember it.

“I’ll trade you that empty cup for this new one,” A soft voice, she barely heard over the music, said.

Wendy’s head snapped up to her other side where she thought an unsociable guy was standing moments before. It definitely wasn’t him anymore. For one, he was now a she, and she was stunning.

“Oh yes, thanks.” Wendy said stiffly.

The girl smiled at her lackluster response, and Wendy couldn’t help but notice the glint in her eyes. It seemed familiar.

“How ‘bout you? Are you ready for another?” The woman leaned out a little so she could meet Seulgi’s eyes.

Seulgi eyebrows quirked up for just a second, also astounded by the woman’s beauty. Her response was a bit more refined then Wendy’s though.

“I would love another. Thank you…” She trailed off to let the woman fill in her name.

“Irene. My name’s Irene.” She said happy to supply her name.

 

===============================================================================

lmaooo 

I y'all

I'm writing things i shouldn't be