Four

Don't give up so easily

It was rare for Wendy to get an early lunch. She always tried to maximize all of her time, but today she managed to finish much more than what was necessary and so she thought, “ it. I’ll spend my time waiting for Seulgi at the café.”

Seulgi wanted to eat at one of their old spots. They used to have lunch together more often, and this place had always been their favorite. The sandwiches they served were just as good as the drinks and their drinks were well renowned. Today Wendy’s drink of choice was a fruity tea, one she hadn’t been able to get in a while.

She wasn’t doing much but going through her phone, but being wrapped in memories was always a comfort, and this place brought out some of the best. So she was having a pleasant time, until she looked up at the chime of the bell and saw her ‘never was’ instead of the ex that she was expecting.

It was the first time seeing Irene out of a fancy dress, but that didn’t mean she looked any less good. In fact, there was something about her business clothes that Wendy really liked. She looked powerful, smart, and sophisticated. It was like a total flip from Seulgi, who looked kind, open, and unpretentious. They both had their own charm, and she was no less attracted to either. Even if Irene’s kind was what she worked with every day, it would be a different sort of person to date. Not that she would. Date her she means.

It took only a moment for them to make eye contact, and when they did a bright smile lit up Irene’s face, softening her features pleasantly. It was impossible for Wendy not to return it. It was as good as an invitation, and Irene didn’t hesitate to accept it.

“Hey, I’ve never seen you here before.” Irene said sitting down in the chair across from her happily.

“It must be a new spot for you. I used to come here all the time.”

“It is, you’re right. And just when I thought this place couldn’t get any better, here you are.” Irene said watching Wendy’s face closely for her reaction with a small smirk.

Wendy laughed and shook her head softly. “So now I get to see your flirt game, huh? I don’t think it’s fair that you get to be so beautiful and have such a way with words.”

“Ah, smooth the way you turned that back on me.” She chuckled, noting the way a simple compliment from her beat out any other she’s heard all her life. “Maybe I was wrong about you the first time you hit on me.” Irene leaned forward and rested her head on her palm having no intention of looking at anything else but Wendy. She didn’t even remember why she came in here to begin with. It didn’t matter now anyway. “So why don’t you come here often anymore? Did you find a better spot? Did you get tired of the tasty drinks or the delicious sandwiches?”

Wendy looked down letting her hair fall, not wanting to reveal the real reason. “Nah, I just don’t have as much time to go out for lunch anymore.”

Irene could tell she was lying. The omission was enough to tell her the truth. It must have been the break-up that changed that.

“Ah that’s too bad. Well if you ever find yourself with spare time, this has been my go to place. I usually come alone and I wouldn’t mind the company. Your company.”

Wendy looked back up after the last sentence. The playful flirting was one thing, but talking with undertones were different. Remember – Seulgi just went on a date with her. But the way Irene held her eyes made Wendy’s heart flutter. “I’ll definitely come if I can.”

Another chime at the door made Wendy break eye contact from Irene, and now her eyes met the familiar warm ones she had been expecting in the beginning. It was their spot, and there was no moment of wandering looks. Seulgi’s eyes met hers like a magnet, and the reaction it sprung in her was just as automatic as ever.

Seulgi’s warm smile fell a bit when she noticed that Wendy wasn’t at their table alone. She went straight to their table eyeing the back of the woman sitting with her friend the whole way, instead of going to make their order the way she usually would.

“Um, Irene? I didn’t expect to see you this soon.” Seulgi glanced at Wendy. “And with Wendy.”

“Oh we just met by coincidence.” Irene said sitting back. She didn’t expect that Wendy would be back here so she could have lunch with her ex. She knew they were friends, but they were still operating under strange terms. “I didn’t realize you two were meeting for lunch. It wouldn’t be a bother if I joined you two, would it?”

Yes. No, that wasn’t what Seulgi should be thinking about the girl she was supposed to be dating. Maybe it just wasn’t going to work out between us. “No, of course not. The more the merrier. If you tell me your order, I’d be glad to get it for you.”

 

Wendy felt uncomfortable eating lunch between the two of them. She wasn’t sure if it was because they were still new to each other, or maybe the date hadn’t gone as well as Seulgi said. It was most likely the history, however brief one was, she had with them as much as she’d hate to admit it. She was the problem.

Irene didn’t fail to notice that Seulgi chose to sit close to Wendy. She almost seemed to crowd her like she didn’t want Irene to get too close.

Wendy couldn’t take the silence that fell upon them once the food was served anymore, so she turned to Seulgi, who she always turned to when uncomfortable.

“So did you finish your piece yet? You said this next one would be your center piece right?”

“I actually decided to make something else, but I’m sure it will be done before the opening.” It was something she decided just then and there. She had a sudden burst of inspiration and she was going to ride it through.

“A gallery? When you mentioned you were an artist, you didn’t mention an upcoming opening.” Irene said just trying to get herself into the conversation.

“Yeah, I didn’t really want to say anything because it’s pretty exclusive. I could invite you to the next one if you’re still interested.”

“Don’t you get a plus one?” Wendy asked not even really considering that she was unintentionally setting them up.

Seulgi reached under the table and discreetly pinched Wendy’s side gently, telling her to shut up.

“I do, but my brother already invited himself. He said something about meeting “fine art chicks”. I thought I’d let him come this once.” Wendy knew Seulgi well enough to know that was a lie. Her brother was married, and has no interest in her art. She wasn’t sure why she didn’t want to bring Irene along, but she supposes that that was a good thing.

Wait what was she thinking? She was trying to be a good supportive friend. Come to think of it, she already failed at that when she had been flirting with Irene before she walked in.

“Next time then.” Irene said with a smile. Irene smiled like she would at a business affiliate. Fake. “I actually should be leaving. I need to get back to work. I’ll see you two around.” She stood up and nodded at Seulgi and Wendy, but she let her eyes linger on Wendy. Seulgi would have to be dense to have missed it.

The urge she got to wrap an arm around Wendy the way she used to when someone looked at her too long was strong, but that wasn’t the way things were anymore. She was beginning to think that that wasn’t something she could accept.

“Seulgi, I should be heading out too. My lunch isn’t that long.”

“Sure, of course.” She watched Wendy gather her things, knowing now that she had to try to get them back to perfect. She wanted them to get back together.

“I’ll call you later.”
“Wendy.” Seulgi’s tone was enough to stop Wendy in her tracks.

“Is something wrong?”

“No, I just wanted to say that I’m looking forward to having a nice home cooked meal at your place.” Seulgi gave her a goofy grin.

“Oh.” She chuckled. “I’m sending you a list of ingredients then, and don’t think you won’t be helping.”

“Whaa? Since when was me cooking a part of the equation?”

“Since today. You claim to be good with your hands, so it should be easy to learn this new skill.”

“…Claim? You know I’m good with my hands.”

Wendy’s faced flushed and she let out huff of disbelief. “Just make sure you get the ingredients.” She said before leaving the table. She wasn’t upset, just caught off guard. Seulgi was surprising good at doing that to her.

Seulgi laughed and followed her out the door. “Wan, you know what I said meant that you’ve seen my paintings and stuff, so you know my skill.” No, she didn’t.

Wendy stopped outside the door after a couple of strides and turned to Seulgi with an amused smile. “You can’t lie to me, Bear. I’ll forgive you once you explain to me why you lied to Irene about your brother.”

“I can do that.” She said still smiling. She felt giddy now. She hadn’t joked with Wendy this way since the break-up.

“Well, then I look forward to it, and to seeing you cook for once.”

“I’m going to do great. I’ve been known to be a natural at most things.”

“We’ll just have to see.”

 

 

Despite the surge of humorously distracting texts from Seulgi describing her trip to the grocery store, Wendy managed to finish her work. She was about to leave her office when she heard a knock on her door. She had already sent her assistant home, so she just called out, “Come in!” to whoever it as.

She wasn’t expecting to see Irene for the second time today, but there she stood with a shy smile. Something she never thought she’d see from the woman.

“Hey, is this a bad time?”

“No. I’m just glad you caught me before I left.”

Irene walked all the way in and shut the door softly. “I’m sorry to come like this without warning, but I was being dumb. Wendy, the other day at the party I went over to see you. I was so happy that you were there again, so I was crushed when you didn’t remember me. It was dumb, but I thought that maybe if you saw me with someone else you’d-” She stopped and closed her eyes. “I was being dumb, like I said.”

She open her eyes again and looked at Wendy with pleading eyes. “I’m done pretending. Have dinner with me tonight. Please.”

Wendy was stumped on how to feel. It was something she had wanted to hear at the party, but since then Irene had involved her best friend. Her ex who she was supposed to be having dinner with tonight. A dinner Seulgi seemed very-very excited for. Something she was looking forward to herself.

“I actually have plans for tonight.”

“With Seulgi?” That was last person she wanted Wendy to be with right now.

“Right. With Seulgi.” Wendy watched as Irene moved closer. Soon she was just inches from her.

“Alright, but before anything changes I just want you to consider this.” Irene cupped her face and leaned in to capture Wendy’s lips.

There was no fight from Wendy. In fact it was easy for her to sink into it, and she missed her lips once they parted.

When Irene made a move for the door, Wendy almost reached out to pull her back, but she had to let her go. Instead, she asked her a question. “Before what changes?”

Irene turned back with a sad smile. “Just know that if Seulgi finds out about this kiss, she’s not going to be hurt over me. I hope to see you soon. Have a nice night.” Just not too nice.

“Thanks.”

When Irene was gone, Wendy pressed her fingers to her lips. She had felt all tingly when it happened, but the thought of Seulgi made it disappear. She may not be hurt about the kiss, but surely she’ll be disappointed, right?

She knew she was going to have to tell her over dinner, and she was not looking forward to it. What a way to put a damper on a night that would have otherwise been nice.

 

oh hoho

irene going for it

just added a poll because i know voting might be easier than commenting for some of you and i just wanted a more accurate reading of the readers