Small Red Tent

Fateful Destiny

In midst of the dark sky that brightens with the dim lights on the streets, the sound of music softly plays in the background in a small cafe. Past the tables and chairs and straight toward the yard of the beautiful cafe is a photoshoot being taken place. With the lighting boards set up on each side and the sounds of continuous clicks were being made by a camera - stands a tall, handsome and smiley young man who poses at every shot being taken. 

"A couple more shots and we'll be done, Yoo Seung Ho-ssi." The photographer stands with his camera in his hands and motioned for the stylists to come in and fix up the makeup. 

Yoo Seung Ho, one of the most beloved actors of the nation, stands awkwardly as a group of people rushes over to fix up his hair and makeup. He has been shooting for a pictorial close to five hours now. Before he knew it, the skies were indicating that it's close to midnight once again. He glances over to his manager, who is noticeably arguing about something at the corner of the yard with the person in charge of the pictorial shoot. As soon as his surrounding were clear and the thumbs up hand motion by the photographer appeared, he returns to pose position immediately. 

"And we're done!" The photographer called out after taking a couple more shots. He clapped his hands and made his way over to Seung Ho to shake hands. "You've worked hard."

Seung Ho smiled and shook his head. "No, you did. Thank you so much." Relieved to finish, Seung Ho starts to walk into the cafe for a drink of water when his manager halted his steps. "Hyung, we're done. Let me just get a sip of water and I'll bid my goodbyes to the staff. We can leave - " 

"We're not quite done yet," his manager sadly interrupted as he directed Seung Ho's attention over to the person in charge. "You have an interview lined up next."

"Now?" Seung Ho took a glance at his manager's watch. "It's almost 12:30AM." 

The manager lets out a deep sigh. "I know," he pats Seung Ho lightly on the back. "There was some sort of miscommunication. I thought this was just a photoshoot but it turns out it's more of an interview."

"For exactly what?" Seung Ho asked. He hasn't been filming a movie or drama for a year. Usually an interview would take place after he finishes filming for either one and considering how he rarely takes interviews anyways, this is an unexpected event for him. "I don't have anything lined up or scheduled to have an interview out of the blue like this."

"Let's just get this over with and I'll take you back home." The manager cleared his throat before swifting turning with a bright smile on his face toward the interviewer. "Please sit down and proceed." He took a peek at Seung Ho, feeling completely apologetic. "I'll get you that glass of water."

Seung Ho's speechless. Having no other choice, he sat down across the interviewer and smiled. "Hello, it's nice to meet you."

"Hello, Yoo Seung Ho-ssi." The interview took out a small recorder from her pockets and placing it on the middle of the table. Taking out her pen and paper, she looked at him. "I apologize for the miscommunication. My name is Ah Sung with the magazine you took part with today." 

"It's alright," Seung Ho simply said. "Today's photoshoot was really fun."

"You must be tired after standing and posing for more than five hours." 

He chuckled. "You get used to after a while." His manager came by and placed a glass of water in front of him. "If you don't mind," picking up the glass, he finished the water within seconds. "Sorry."

"We've been wondering how you've been lately, Seung Ho-ssi." Ah Sung took a glance at her notes. "It seems as if this year long break has treated you well. Did you get to do the things you wanted?"

Seung Ho thought back to the year he just spent. Most of the time he had CFs to film or photoshoots like these to do. Even if he had wanted to take a nice long break somewhere, he had a time limit since work comes first. "Not a lot, I didn't get to travel as much as I wanted."

"You're at the age where you're playing a lot more adult roles now. Is it awkward to transition from child to adult roles as an actor? Especially one who is still well loved received by the nation." 

"I wouldn't call it awkward but more of a learning process," Seung Ho answered. "As a child, the roles were sometimes limited and I didn't have as much pressure as I do when I play adult roles. The transition became easier I think once I found a better understanding of how the drama or films are." 

"What's your next plan? Do you have any offers for any drama or film at the moment?" 

Seung Ho thought back to the pile of scripts he recently received from several casting producers. "I have some offers," he admitted. "I will take some time to observe the scripts carefully before making my decision." 

"Why did you take a break for a year?" 

There it was, the question that she meant to ask from the beginning. He has read articles of him where people assume this or that on the reasoning for being missing from films/dramas. Instead of dwelling over it, Seung Ho spent more time focusing on his own health and hobbies. Some tabloids had assume that he became scared due to tough competition but it's not like that at all. If only they knew, if only. "As a child actor, I filmed one project after another. Last year I realized that I didn't do much stuff with my family so I took a year break to be with them."

"If you don't mind me asking, don't you think taking a break like that is almost rude to your loyal fans?" 

His manager walked over and smiled. "Interview's over. He has an early schedule in the morning. Thank you so much." Not giving the woman enough time to argue back, he pulled Seung Ho out from his seat and dragged him through the cafe and out toward their van. "She's crazy. Having an interview at this time and asking questions like that."

"She's only doing her job," Seung Ho said quietly as he got in the van and sighed out deeply with his eyes closed. This whole week has been hectic. Not only is there pressure from his company for him to pick out a new project but the continuous scheduling of photoshoots after another has made him tired. "Hyung, can you turn on some music please."

The cold breeze from the air conditioner and the soft sound of his favorite music playing in the car is slowly calming his mind. Seung Ho opened his eyes and stare blankly out the car window. Taking a year break was his own choice but why are people making it seem as if he can't? Doesn't he deserve some sort of - 

"Are you hungry? Should I get some food before I drop you off?" 

"Cold noodles..." Seung Ho muttered under his breath. "I'm craving some cold noodles, hyung."

His manager took a glance at the time. It's close to 1 in the morning. Is there even a place that opens this late? Just as he was about to suggest some other place, the glimpse of a food stall caught his attention. "Oh! Look!"

Seung Ho's attention turned to where his manager was pointing towards. A small smile spread across his face at the sight of a late night food stall. He hasn't seen one of these since he was a kid. "I want to eat there..."

"I don't think that's a good - "

"Please," Seung Ho already took off his seat belt, ready to jump out of the van. As a kid, eating out late at one of these stalls was his favorite part of the day. "I don't care if they don't have cold noodles.." He can't even remember the last time he has eaten at a food stall in the middle of the night like this.

Seeing how eager and bright Seung Ho's face is from the rearview mirror, the manager chuckled and parked the car on the sidelines. "Go on ahead, I'll wait here."

Without a moment of hesistation, Seung Ho jumped out of the van and slowly made his way over. The smell of spicy rice cake automatically rushes through his nose causing him to softly smile. Walking inside the tent, he took the seat at the corner. "Ahjumma, one order of spicy rice cakes please." He stared in silence as she smiled and brought him his order with a glass of water. "Thank you." As soon as the spicy rice cake went in his mouth, he wanted to scream in delight. Instant spicy rice cakes is definitely different than homemade spicy rice cakes on the streets. He didn't expect to miss the taste of this until he actually ate it. Before he could take another bite of the food, the sound of whispers nearby caused him to freeze the chopsticks midway. Seung Ho adverted his attention over to the group of girls nearby.

And that's when chaos started.

With just one glance from him, the girls immediately stood up and rushed over to his table. Their voices screaming on top of their lungs and the flashes from their cellphones almost blinding him. "Seung Ho oppa! Oh my God! It's him! It's Yoo Seung Ho!"

Standing up from his seat as he silently greeted everybody, he tried his best to smile for their pictures and sign their papers. Within seconds, the crowd became even more bigger than he can handle on his phone. Taking a couple of bills out of his wallet, he placed it on the table before trying to rush out of the tent. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry...." he repeated a few times. Suddenly, a hand grabbed his shirt - causing him to lose balance and clash into the people in front of him as they blocked his way. "I'm so sorry!"

The manager jumped out of the driver's seat and quickly grabbed onto Seung Ho so he could get into the van safely. Closing the door, the manager looked at everybody and bid his apologies for no pictures at the moment. As soon as he drove the van away from the busy, crowded streets - he glanced at the rearview mirror. He sighed as soon as he saw Seung Ho's despair expression. "Do you want me to pick up some food? There has to be a restaurant that sells spicy rice cake at this time."

"It's not the same...." Seung Ho muttered as he closed his eyes for the rest of the ride.

. . .

Seung Ho locked the door behind him as he made his way around the big living room and straight toward his bedroom. Laying flat on his bed, he sighed. Home. The fact that he spends more time working than in his actual home is almost bizzare. Taking his phone out, he arched an eyebrow at the sight of his name trending again. Clicking on his name, he scrolled through the endless amount of pictures of him in and out of the tent. Most of the pictures were blurry but anybody could tell that it was him.

Nation's favorite growing actor Yoo Seung Ho was seen spending his time alone at a local spicy rice cakes food stall. It looks like this famous actor knows how to enjoy his time alone! He is just like anyone of us!

Why does the headline and article itself seem more annoying than anything else tonight? Not only did he spend less than five minutes there, he only got one bite of the food. Seung Ho turned off his phone for the night and pulled the blankets over him to sleep.

. . .

A soft and energetic voice echoes throughout the building as a young woman walks around the room and bow down to bid everybody goodbye. "You've worked hard. Thank you, goodbye. You've worked hard." Kim So Hyun, one of the nation's youngest actresses of her generation, waved goodbye to everybody else as she walks out of the studio. 

So Hyun has been filming for an advertisement since early in the morning. To finally be done before lunchtime and go home, it's one of the best feelings she has had in a while. Jumping into the van, she checked the time on her watch and softly smiled. "Manager Oppa, can we go eat some food?"

"Not yet," her manager got into the driver's seat and quietly put on the seatbelt. "We have to head back to the company first. CEO said that he got some scripts for you to read." 

"Scripts?" She barely just finished a film last week, does the CEO really expect her to jump into another project right away? "I was promised that I'll get a break after today's CF filming." 

Taking a quick glance at her from the rearview mirror as he drove into the highway, he could only sigh. "I know, So Hyun. But what am I suppose to do? I got a phone call from him while you were shooting. I can't just refuse it."

So Hyun didn't have anything further to say because she can understand how her manager feels. Once the CEO decides on something, there's no argumentative factor that can be use to change his mind. Taking a deep breath, So Hyun leaned back against her seat and took out her a book. Every month, she reads a different book. It helps with her mind and to keep her sane at times like this. 

"I'll buy you some food after our meeting with him, I promise." 

"Okay."

. . . 

"So Hyun-ah, I received two of the best scripts today. I feel like you should definitely skip your break and take this chance." CEO Kim handed over two scripts across the table. "One is a film and the other is a drama." 

"Postpone my break?" So Hyun repeated. "CEO Kim, I was supposed to have a month break ages ago. We kept postponing it because of other projects. You promised me that I would get to - "

CEO Kim gave her a stern look. "You're still young, you don't know anything. Projects like these won't be offered to you as soon as you hit the age that people don't consider for suitable." Tapping the scripts, he sighed. "You're experiencing the peak of your career right now. Don't lose this chance over a break. You can take a break at anytime." 

That's a lie. She has been promised four breaks this year alone but she only managed to have one. And considering how she spent it in Busan for a film festival and stuck in the hotel room most of the time, not exactly the kind of break she wanted. "I'll read them over tonight."

"Good, you made the right choice." CEO Kim chuckled. "Keep doing things that will get your more attention and love, you'll soon end up like Yoo Seung Ho." 

So Hyun knit her eyebrows together in confusion. "Yoo Seung Ho?" She watched as he took out his phone, quickly typing something on the search engine. 

"You already know how big and well respected he is. When you have so much fame, you'll finally have time to take a break like he does. Look at him," he showed his phone screen in front of her. "He's enjoying his night eating spicy rice cakes at food stall. He's happy because he has that fame. He doesn't have to worry about losing it if he takes a break or not."

So Hyun stares at the fantaken photos, scanning the aspect and mood of the photos. "He's not happy."

CEO Kim lightly scoffed. "Of course he is. Look at all those fans."

"You see crowd of fans and big fame, CEO Kim. All I see in these photos is despair and unhappiness." So Hyun answered as she zoomed onto Seung Ho's face. It's obviously there - she can automatically sense what actually happened. He probably wanted to eat something as normal as that on the streets but was interrupted by his fans. Not evening getting more than one bite, he had to leave. "I'll call you when I make a decision."

"So Hyun, don't be too upset." 

Taking a silent deep breath, she carefully turned to look at her boss. "I'm not, CEO Kim."

"Good. Call me when you make the decision." 

Clenching onto the scripts in her arms, she grabbed her jacket from the chair and walked out of the huge office. With her manager outside waiting, she halted her steps. "Oppa, when do you think I can stop working?" 

Taking the scripts and jacket out of her hands, he lightly tap the top of her head and smiled. "Soon, I will make sure of it."

So Hyun looked up at him and showed him a tiny smile. He's been her manager since the beginning of her acting career as a kid. Besides her own mom and brother, he's the next person that she knows best. And she knows that he won't be able to go against CEO Kim's orders ever. Like how she can't either. 

. . . 

Seung Ho got out of the van and start to fix up his clothes as the sounds of screaming fans erupt throughout the building. After finishing his morning and afternoon schedule, his day is meant to be clear. But considering how his close sunbae So Ji Sub has a movie out, Seung Ho felt as if he should come to the VIP Premiere as a support. He lightly stepped toward the carpet and spread a bright smile on his face as he waves to the fans that fills the building. 

Waiting for him to step up onto the platform and take a couple of pictures, the host slowly made his way over. "Yoo Seung Ho-ssi! Wow, how long has it been since you've appeared at a movie premiere?" The main host for the picture hall asked in his loud, booming voice with a mic in his hand. "Everybody! Look who it is!" 

Lightly laughing as he took the mic from the host, Seung Ho bent down to greet the cameras and other tv stations that were filming him. "Hello, I'm actor Yoo Seung Ho. It's been a  long time since I've been on camera."

"What have you been up to?!" 

"Uh, enjoying some time alone mostly." Seung Ho looked around and cleared his throat. "Mainly trying to read through some scripts to pick out as my next project." As soon as those words left his mouth, the whole room erupted in even louder screams. "I will come back as an actor on your screens once again." 

"That's good to hear! Seung Ho-ssi, did you enjoy those spicy rice cakes last night?" 

Adding a light chuckle to his brief smile, Seung Ho nodded his head. "I did, thank you for asking." 

"Any last words?"

Seung Ho bowed one last time to everybody. "I came here to support sunbae So Ji Sub for his movie. I hope it hits big! Fighting!" Without another word, he waved a final time for the fans before making his way into the movie halls. After being guided to what showing room it by the staff, Seung Ho took a deep breath. With one scan of the movie theater, he already recognize a few people that he has previously worked before. "Hello, hello." 

"Oh! Seung Ho! It's been a while!"

Hugging his senior actors, Seung Ho smiled. "How have you all been?" Despite being tired from work and the endless unexpected schedules that appear in front of him. Meeting his senior actors and colleagues is still his favorite part of his career. Everybody goes through the same things, some may be more tough than others but at the end of the day, they still have the same tiring occupation due to their shared love for acting. "I've enjoyed your movies."

"Ah, you saw it? Thank you." 

Seung Ho smiled. "I'll go find a seat right now." He looked up at all the filled up seats from top to bottom. With barely any empty spots left, Seung Ho walked up the steps toward the back of the theater and sat down. Feeling his phone vibrate, he read the text message from his manager. 

Enjoy the movie. This is your last break for a while. I confirmed with the company that you picked out your comeback drama. See you in two hours. 

"Well then," Seung Ho muttered to himself as he turned off his phone and leaned his head against the all. It should be a few seconds until the main cast for the movie walks out to greet them. "Your last break for a while....." this break didn't even feel like one. It's funny. CEO approving a year long break for him but scheduling commercial filming and photoshoot every month. 

"Sunbae..." 

Seung Ho blinked his eyes back to reality to the sound of a soft spoken voice. Looking up, he saw a familiar face that he hasn't seen in a while - more like years. "So Hyun-ssi...."

So Hyun greeted him with a 90 degree bow first before clenching her hands together. "Do you mind if I sit here?" She scanned the whole theater as it was all full. "It's the only one left. I mean, unless it's already taken - "

"Go ahead," Seung Ho interrupted. As soon as she sat down, they both awkwardly looked at each other. "How long has I think been?"

"Five years?" So Hyun replied with a small smile. "Since the drama in 2012."

Seung Ho thought back to that small moment on set when she came by to record her voice as a voiceover for a scene. "It's been that long? How have you been?"

"Good," So Hyun observed Seung Ho's facial expression carefully. Digging into her purse, she took out a bottle of water. "You must've forgotten to take a drink of water. Here you go."

Confused by her offer, he looked at her. "How'd you - "

"I have the same look on me when I finish the day that was filled up with nonstop schedules." So Hyun smiled as he took the water bottle. "You must always try to stay hydrated." 

Seung Ho lightly chuckled. "I'll keep that in mind," clenching onto the bottle of water, he watched in silence as the staff are slowly bringing in the main cast in. "You have water for yourself, right?"

She nodded. "Yes," So Hyun didn't know what to say afterwards. The both of them haven't seen each other in five years. They're not exactly at the stage where they could comfortably talk to each other. "Sunbae, I - " she stopped talking when she felt her phone vibrate over a new message. Taking out her phone, it was a message from her CEO directly. 

Name of project. Now. I'll tell the media immediately so they'll know. Answer me right away, Kim So Hyun. 

Feeling pressured by this, So Hyun thought back to the scripts she briefly read in the car before arriving here. Having one choice, she silently replied with her answer before turning her phone off completely. "Seung Ho!" So Hyun adverted her attention over to So Ji Sub standing near her. "It's been a long time!"

Seung Ho chuckled shyly as he got up and hugged So Ji Sub. "Hyung, it's just been a few months. We had dinner together last time."

"I know," Ji Sub glanced down at So Hyun. "Oh, Kim So Hyun, it's nice to meet you."

It's like an immediate reaction once you meet a senior actor in the field. So Hyun got up and bowed down. "Hello, Sunbae."

"You can relax," Ji Sub chuckled. "Enjoy the movie, okay? I'll be down there. We can talk as soon as it's done." The sentence was more directed towards Seung Ho since they're a lot closer. Just as he was about to walk away, he turned back around and smiled. "You should've invited to eat spicy rice cakes with you last night! You had fun, huh?"

Forcing a smile upon his face, Seung Ho silently nodded before sitting back down in his seat. Taking a deep breath, he opened the water bottle to drink some more. 

"There's this food stall on the corner of 34th street," So Hyun said. "It's owned by a 73 year old halmoni but it's secluded and not much people know it's there. Unless you're a regular customer of hers. Spicy rice cakes aren't the best but she makes them good enough to fill your stomach up. Sometimes people won't even know you're there because half of those customers are elderly men and women." She turned to stare at Seung Ho. "It'll be safe to come by and eat there if you ever carve spicy rice cakes." Her mind thought back to all the quiet times she got to spend there. "No disturbance. No screaming fans. No cameras. Just you, spicy rice cakes and that sweet sound of silence that surrounds you." 

Seung Ho watched her facial expressions carefully as she explained of this food stall place to him. How did you she know? While everybody all day has been praising him for his "happiness" or "joy" in those photos - Kim So Hyun understood that it wasn't it. He wasn't happy or feeling any sort of joy at that moment last night. He spent the whole day forcing a smile on his face as people complimented him on being like everybody else. He was shown pictures of his fans, whom he does love, all day by staff that praised him for eating out with his fans. None of those people understood his true intentions. Although, it's simple and almost seemingly ridiculous. But all he wanted last night was to simply eat spicy rice cakes in a food stall tent at peace. He wanted to just fill his stomach and be able to breathe for just a few minutes. "So Hyun - " 

"The movie's starting...." 

And just like that the lights went out and everybody's in complete darkness. Seung Ho leaned back in his seat as he furrowed his eyebrows together. It's his first time. Aside from his family and manager, it was his first time meeting someone who completely understood him with minimal words being exchanged.

. . .

Applause and a standing ovation filled the movie theater as soon as the ending credits showed up on the screen. The movie cast stood up and bowed to show their thanks for their friends and colleagues support.

So Hyun turned to bid her goodbye to Seung Ho. "It was nice meeting you again."

"Oh!" She walked down the steps and out of the theater before he could say anything else. Seung Ho noticed So Ji Sub motioning him to come down to talk more. "It was a really good movie, hyung."

Chuckling as he put his arm around Seung Ho's shoulders. "Thanks for spending your spare time here. Did you eat yet? Want to grab another meal together since it's been too long?"

"Alright, let me just use the bathroom." Seung Ho walked off and start heading towards the men's bathroom as he turns on his phone. As soon as he walked inside, another message popped up. 

Seung Ho, it's been released. You're trending right now since we made the announcement for your drama. Script reading will be in two days.

"Oppa!" The sounds of fans caused him to slightly jump as he glanced away from the phones. A group of young teenagers waved at him with smiles plastered all over their faces. "We can't wait for your new drama! Fighting!"

"Thank you." News really does travel fast.  

One of the girls gasped as she checked her phone. "You're trending more! Oh! Kim So Hyun! You're doing a drama together?!" She showed her phone to the other girls. 

"Kim So Hyun?" Seung Ho refreshed the site to see a new article has just been released a few seconds ago. His eyes widened at the headline. 

Our Nation's Little Brother, Yoo Seung Ho, who is all grown up officially confirmed his drama project a few hours ago. A lot of anticipation has been built up since it'll be a year since he has been on our screens. His acting skills comes to no surprise as each project shows more of his versatile acting abilities with constant praises. Within two hours of announcing his comeback, the drama and actor is already trending on multiple sites! Surprisingly, we can also confirm that joining him is the Nation's current Little Sister, Kim So Hyun, growing more and more beautiful in our eyes with her talented acting skills as his leading lady. Is this it? The drama couple that everybody has been waiting for? Two of Nation's precious treasures are officially teaming up together for a new project! 

. . . 

So Hyun collapsed onto her bed as soon as she arrived home. Staring blankly at the ceiling above, she started to counting down sheeps in her head again to sleep. "1...2....3....4..5...6...7..." Her ringtone disrupted her. Taking her phone, she put it on speaker wirh her eyes closed. "Hello...."

"I'll pick you for the fansigning event at 2PM." Her manager's voice echos through. "Make sure you're up and ready by then."

"I thought it was at noon?"

"It'll supposedly rain until 2, fansign event changed the time for us." 

"Oh, okay. Good - "

"Congrats, So Hyun. As tiring it is to work endlessly for a year now, looks like you'll get your wish soon." 

She quickly opened her eyes. "What are you talking about? I'll be able to get a break?"

"Haven't you been reading the news on your phone?" She could hear the sounds of something rustling from his side of the conversion. He must be eating ramen noodles again. "Your drama already has a leading man."

"That's quick. It hasn't even been a full 8 hours since the confirmation."

"Yoo Seung Ho," the sounds of noodles being slurped fill her ears as her manager ate. "It's actor Yoo Seung Ho."

"What?!" So Hyun sat up on her bed and started searching her name up. The trending article pops with pictures of her & Yoo Seung Ho side by side. "It really is him...."

. . . 

Seung Ho bid his goodbyes with So Ji Sub as he walked along the side of the street. Texting his manager that he's ready to be picked up, Seung Ho pulled down his cap so his face can still be hidden a bit. Taking light steps around the light pole as he waits for the van to pull, he halted when he noticed a red tent at the far corner of the street. It's so small that it's barely noticeable but you can tell that it's a food stall. Glancing up at the street sign that reads 34th street, Seung Ho arched an eyebrow. Was this the food stall that So Hyun talked about? 

Naturally, he stepped closer to the corner and paused at small red tent in front of him. It's true. An elderly halmoni is busy stirring the spicy rice cakes as two or three elderly customers eat their food. Seung Ho scanned the street, the tent is placed at such a quiet and secluded place - almost nobody is interested in it. 

"Young Man, do you want to try some of my rice cakes?"

Seung Ho looked at the halmoni before a huge smile spread across his face. "Yes, Halmoni."

. . .

author's note: ahhh, I am very excited to the beginning of this fanfic! this will be my version of how shy shy couple would become like in my own world, aha! i hope you all like it! please suscribe and comment if you can! thank you for reading!