This Awkward Phase

Fateful Destiny

Rummaging through the drawers for her favorite black cap, she leaned toward the door frame to the sound of her front door opening. Hearing her manager greeting her mom and brother as he walked through the living room and toward her room, he stepped by the doorway. "Ready?"

"In a few seconds," So Hyun replied as she moved aside a stack of caps and beanies. "Oppa, have you seen my favorite black hat?"

"The one you usually wear when you're traveling around? No." He furrowed his eyebrows together as he checked the time on his watch. "So Hyun-ah, we have thirty minutes to drive to the station for the script reading. Can't we look for it later?"

"I mean," So Hyun sighed as she closed the drawer. "Okay, let me grab my bag." Walking to her bed, she took her belongings for the day and walked out of her room. "Mom, I'll be back."

"Have fun." Her mom smiled as she cleaned up the kitchen. "Take care of my daughter, manager-nim."

"Of course." As the front door closes behind them, manager looked at So Hyun. "Are you nervous?"

"Nervous?" So Hyun walked down the steps and shrugged her shoulders. "Isn't it like any other script readings I've had?"

Her manager opened the van door for her. "Yoo Seung Ho is somebody you've been wanting to work together with for a long time. It's finally happening after five years. Your nerves must be going insane."

So Hyun stayed silent as she put on her seatbelt. "Why are you being like this?" She slightly whined at the new sudden worry upon her. It's one thing to say something in an interview to share but to have it actually happen and known that she's been wanting to work with somebody for so long - it's a bit...embarrassing.

He chuckled as he drove down the road and into the highway. "Why? It's natural for you to be nervous. But considering how you're also so shy, it's a bit worrisome."

"I met him two days ago," So Hyun said as she opened her book to read. "At the movie premiere."

"So you're both acquainted now?"

So Hyun thought back to their awkwardness and brief conversation. "No." She flipped through the pages she already read. "It's been five years since I've met him. I doubt that we got any close after one meeting at a movie premiere."

"You can start now."

So Hyun tapped her fingers against the hard cover of the book in her hands as she thought back to the moment in 2012. She was so young back then that it's highly doubtful that Seung Ho would even remember her. Out of curiosity, she took out her phone and searched up an old video that she hasn't seen in forever. So Hyun gasped in surprise to see the video still existing online. Pressing play, she watched as the video starts with a scene of Harry's house from the past drama. A small smile spread across her face once she saw her younger self appearing all small and shy as the drama staff jokingly made fun of her. As the video continued on, it almost feels so crazy to see that now she is about to be a leading lady for a drama with Yoo Seung Ho. It's obvious that she was completely shy and awkward to be around Seung Ho at that time in the video. 

Back then, Yoo Seung Ho was a role model for all child actors despite gender - he still is for so many people. The nation watched him grow up from a little boy to becoming a growing leading actor of his generation. There's no one like him. Back then, all she could remember was being completely shy and nervous to be around someone as amazing as him. Even if she was just playing a younger counterpart in the drama and never truly had any scenes with him, to have just coincidentally meet him back then on set -  it felt like a dream. 

"We're here." Her manager said as he drove the van past the security gate and into the underground garage. 

And now, she's going to be in a drama with him. It doesn't feel like a dream anymore. It's this crazy reality instead.

. . . 

As soon as Seung Ho got out of his car, he exhaled out deeply as he locked it. As much as the company tried to argue about letting the manager take him to the script reading today, he didn't feel like being driven around today. The last two days hasn't been easy for him. Returning to the routine of work after a year break has been stressful. Especially when he never technically has a break with all the commercials and photoshoots he had lined up. With the his company hassling to start a drama project the year, Seung Ho decided to choose the only option he could control - driving on his own. 

For years since he got his license, he could only drive on his free days. Which seems to be more like never nowadays. Bringing up the option for him to freely drive to his schedules wasn't easy but at least his company cooperated with him on it. 

"Good morning," Yoo Seung Ho greeted the station's staff as he walked into the main lobby. "Hello, good morning."

"Yoo Seung Ho?" One of the station's staff stopped him and directed toward him toward the elevators. "Your script reading will be held on the fourth floor, main conference room to the left."

"Ah, thank you." Seung Ho turned to follow her directions. As he press the button for the elevators, he gasped in surprise to see his senior actor, Park Chul Min walking over. "Sunbae..."

Park Chul Min, one of the nation's most adlib and greatest senior actors, chuckles as he exchanged a friendly hug with Seung Ho. "I keep working with you."

Finally seeing the first episode script in his arms, Seung Ho brightly smiled. "Having a familiar person makes me feel better."

"Ah, you still get shy." Chul Min laughed as they both inside the elevators. "Looks like the cast is good for this drama! Even Kim So Hyun is in it!"

"Have you worked with her before?" Seung Ho asked as he pressed the number four. 

Chul Min furrowed his eyebrows for a second as he gives the question a second thought. "I don't think so, it'll be the first drama or anything that I'll work with her. You?"

"Once but we never had scenes together. She played a child counterpart for a drama while I later played an adult counterpart." Seung Ho answered. "We did meet once back then and recently again."

"Are you comfortable with her? Friends?"

Seung Ho shook his head. "No, it's still awkward."

"Ah, really?" The elevators arrived on the fourth floor. Walking out, they started walking toward the conference room but Chul Min halted his steps as he turn to face Seung Ho. "I heard that she's just like you. Very mature for her age, shy, and hard to connect with people due to her shyness. You're the sunbae between you and her, right?" He watched Seung Ho nods his answer as a reply. "You should try to reach out more especially with her since it'll be your first to work with an actress that'll be younger with you. Be the leading man in the drama and out of it."

"I'll keep it in mind," Seung Ho said. "Thank you, sunbae." He started rushing toward the conference room and opened the door. "Hello..." Slowly, he bow and greeted everybody that's in there so early. Making his way over to the drama director and writer, Seung Ho shook hands with them both. "I'll work hard."

Director Song chuckled. "We should be the one to say that," he patted Seung Ho on the shoulders. "Can't believe we hit the jackpot and got Yoo Seung Ho to do this drama."

"Ah, please don't say that." Seung Ho immediately blushed up. "It's an honor to work with you two."

Writer Jung smiled. "The other scripts are over at the table, you can just grab them and sit at your seat as we wait for the others to arrive."

"Okay," Seung Ho turned and grabbed scripts for episode 2-5. Feeling relieved that five episodes are done, it gives him enough time to evaluate his character and plot itself before the official filming starts next week. Searching for his name card on the big conference table, he sat down and smiled at the other actors. More than half of these actors he has previously worked with in either a movie or drama. Taking the script for episode one, he flipped over to the marks he made where his dialogues are. "Consistent Love." He muttered to himself as he read the official title of the drama. Not only will this be his first time to headline a romance drama but it'll also be his first playing a role as a CEO. The pressure that he's currently feeling at the moment doesn't feel like the other he has had before. 

"Good morning!" A soft spoken and energetic voice fills the conference room causing Seung Ho to glance up from his script. So Hyun walked around to greet every single person individually as she clenched into her own script. "Hello, it's nice to meet you." 

Director Song chuckled as he embraced So Hyun, rummaging her hair. "Is this our fate? I can't believe we'll be working together again."

"It's been two years," So Hyun brightly answered. "I will do my best." She turned to the writer. "I hope I can live up to your expectations."

"Of course you will!" Writer Jung responded. "Director Song and I were just discussing how crazy it is that we got lucky. I mean, two national treasures will be leading our drama. We should be the one that's thankful." She smiled and directed So Hyun's attention to the stacks of scripts. "Scripts for the episodes written so far is over there. You can take your seat after you get them."

So Hyun nodded her head as she grabbed hold of the four other scripts. She turned and searched for her name. Knowing that she would either be seated next to Seung Ho or across from him, she looked at the name cards nearby him first. "Good morning, sunbae." Taking her seat next to him, she cleared her threat. "How have you been?"

Seung Ho sat up in his seat and briefly smiled. "I've been good. You?" He watched as she awkward peeked around at the staff. That's when he noticed her hands were shaking. Unlike him, who has worked previously with most of these people, they must be somewhat new to So Hyun. Sensing that she might be nervous, Seung Ho rummaged through his backpack and took out some candy. "So Hyun," placing the candy in front of her. "They'll help you relax."

So Hyun blinked her eyes several times before she realized that Yoo Seung Ho was actually offering her candy. "Thank you." Taking one of them, she placed it in . Although she doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, she rather eat the candy for now to distract of her this nervous thoughts.

"Sunbaenims, hello." Both Seung Ho and So Hyun glanced up to see idol member of Infinite standing before them. "I'm Infinite's L, Kim Myung Soo." 

Seung Ho stood up to shake hands with him. "Ah, hello. You must be playing the second lead, right?"

L nodded his head. "Yes."

So Hyun, who still finds it awkward when older people call her sunbae, stood up and shook hands with L. "We've met a lot before for the music show when I was the host."

L smiled. "Yeah!" He looked at both of the senior actors who happened to be younger than him. "Do you mind if we speak more comfortably to get the awkward phase out of the way? Filming awkward would be too much for each other, right? I was born in 1992." 

"Ah," Seung Ho wouldn't have guessed that he was older. A little taken back by L's straightforward personality, Seung Ho nodded his head. "I have no problem with that."

So Hyun slightly smiled as she nodded her head. "Sure."

"That's good to hear, my seat's over there so - " L bowed one last time to them before walking over to his place.

As Seung Ho sat back down in his seat, he made eye contact with Park Chul Min from across the room. His eyes indicating that he should try to break the awkward ice between So Hyun. "Uh, may I speak comfortably with you from now on?"

So Hyun looked at him. "Of course." 

The sounds of chair scraping against the hardwood floor caused everybody to glance towards the front of the room. Director Song and Writer Jung stood up with bright smiles on their faces. "Looks like everybody is here. I'm Director Song, some of you I've worked with before on certain projects and others, it's my first time meeting you. I'm a bit nervous as this is my first modern romance drama. I think I'm especially more nervous because the attention that the drama has been receiving last week is a bit surprising." He glanced over to Seung Ho and So Hyun. "But that is as expected since we have probably two of the best young actors in their generation to be our two main leads." 

Clapping her hands, Writer Jung cleared as she nervously looked at everybody. "I will try to make this drama as heartwarming and loving as possible. Taking upon a romance genre is my first as well despite writing for so many years now. Please look upon me kindly." 

Seung Ho watched as everybody around the table start to introduce themselves in the room. One by one, he tried his best to remember each of their names and faces so there wouldn't be any mistakes as filming progresses. 

Standing up as it's her turn, So Hyun bowed down as a greeting. "My name is Kim So Hyun, playing the role of Chun Ji Hyo in the drama. Please take care of me." 

Seung Ho stood up right afterwards as he clapped his hands for her. "My name is Yoo Seung Ho, playing the role of Kim Dong Wook in the drama. Please look upon me kindly." Once the introductions were over, Director Song took leadership and started pointing out certain factors of the drama that they will be working together for the next few months. 

So Hyun looked at her scripts, flipping through some pages of the dialogues. A part of her is nervous and excited about this new role. Not only is she headlining another romance drama but it's a role that has start out as a career woman. Despite her young age of 18, she is taking upon a role as a fashion designer. As much as she wants that break, maybe CEO Kim was right. This isn't an opportunity that she can give up. Taking a silent deep breath, she peeked around the room. And then the nerves hit her again, she is the youngest out of all the cast currently. Would the netizens have something to say about her new role? Would they think it's unsuitable? Or a bit too much to be believable for an 19 year old girl (going by Korean age) to take a role as a 22 year old woman? 

"Let's begin the script reading!" 

. . . 

Four hours after the script reading, everybody clapped their hands as they stood up to bid their goodbyes. Staying behind were the photography crew who will be in charge of the pictures for the next few months. "Can we get the four main leads stand together for a picture?"

So Hyun watched as the other female lead, Yoon So Hee get up and stood in the middle with the script in her hand. Standing right next to her, she silently greet So Hee a bit before they both turned to face the cameras. Seung Ho and L both stood at either side of them. After a few seconds of their pictures being taken, the photographer gave the OK that he's done. Taking it as the initiative that she can collect her things and leave, So Hyun started to walk to her seat when L spoke up. "How about the four of us grab lunch together?"

So Hee brightly smiled as she clenched onto her scripts and bag. "Oh, that would be fun! We can get to know each other before filming starts. L and I are already acquainted as we've worked together before. We should use this chance for the four of us to become closer."

Seung Ho checked the time on his watch. It was hitting close to 1PM. Considering as how he is surprisingly free for the whole day, he didn't see a problem with it. "I'm okay with it."

"I can't go," So Hyun sadly replied. She hate to be the one to be the party pooper but her manager is already downstairs ready to take her to the next schedule. "I have a commercial filming to attend." She gave the three of them an apologetic expression as she collected her things. "I'm sorry." 

"It's alright, the four of us can get together some other day." Seung Ho didn't want to reject L's offer so he lightly smiled. "The three of us can head downstairs to the cafeteria for a quick lunch."

Feeling relieved that Seung Ho is taking the lead to make sure that no one feels out of place, So Hyun bid her goodbyes as she rushed downstairs to meet with her manager. 

. . . 

"Lunch? Too bad you couldn't go." Her manager said as he handed her the outfit she has to wear for the cf filming. 

"Oppa, how many commercials do I have lined up still?" So Hyun is honestly tired. For two years, she has been working nonstop but this year has been especially exhausting for her. With a drama now in progress, she can't imagine balancing filming for a drama and commercials at the same time like this. 

Her manager kept his mouth shut for a few seconds. "CEO Kim is meeting with a few companies about contract signings." He looked at her expression sadly. "It seems as if he wants you to film a commercial or photoshoot every other week."

He's crazy. So Hyun closed her eyes as she silently screamed inside her head. When will this stop? When will she get the break she has been dreaming of? She has been working upon other people's schedules and how other people want her to be or dress like - So Hyun is slowly starting to feel like she is losing herself. "It's a twenty episode drama, Manager Oppa. That's three and half months of consistent shooting. I won't be able to make it out alive."

. . . 

"You're also a 93er?" Seung Ho arched an eyebrow as he took a sip of his water. "Let's speak comfortably then." After careful consideration in the conference room, he realized that he's the senior actor out of the young cast for the drama. The chemistry and vibe for the cast won't be able to do well if he can't do well. Besides his awkward and shyness when it comes to speaking to people, he has to try his best to lead the young cast as a sunbae. "When did you debut? Both of you."

So Hee took a piece of seaweed and wrapped it in rice as she answered. "2013, I think I'm the one that debut the latest among the four of us."

L nodded his head. "I'm only a year behind her, 2012 as an actor but I debuted as Infinite in 2010." 

"Ahhh," Seung Ho closed his water bottle with the cap. "There's always a lot to learn when it comes to acting as different factors plays into it." 

"So Hyun-ssi debuted when she was 9," L said. He spent his time researching on the cast so he could have a better understanding of them beforehand. "You debuted when you were 6, right?" Watching Seung Ho nod his head, L suddenly has so many curious questions to ask. "Is it hard? Both you and So Hyun debuted at such young ages, growing up in public for the whole nation to see. Doesn't it get easier as time goes on?"

Seung Ho didn't know how exactly to answer the question. Despite being under the public's eyes for so long, the feeling of getting used to it doesn't come to him. In fact, he gets more stress as the years goes on. When he was younger, he used to look at the love and attention that he was receiving as a gift. He appreciated every single thing that happened to him as a child. But as he is older and wanting to do more things now, somehow acting doesn't feel like a hobby anymore. He glanced up to see L and So Hee's hopeful facial expressions. Not wanting to share such an in depth response, Seung Ho could only manage to smile in front of them. "I can't speak for So Hyun but for me, it can be tiring at times especially when I try to balance work and personal life together."

L cheerfully laughed. "I saw those trending pictures, it looked like you had some alone time with your fans. That must've been fun, I was jealous when I saw it."

So Hee laughed along with L as she cleaned up her food tray. "I saw it too, I was so amazed. Someone like Yoo Seung Ho enjoying his food out in public like that to be with his fans." 

Did they see the same pictures as he did? Did anyone else see the same pictures as he did? Why does everybody assume that he looked happy? Seung Ho just briefly laughed along with them to get the awkwardness out of the way. It's not that he doesn't want to spend time with his fans, he would love to. But there's a clear difference between holding a fan meeting for an event and trying to live out a tiny normal life outside of his such public life already. How does no one understand that - Seung Ho paused and thought back to the night at the movie theater. So Hyun didn't say anything but simply describe the small red food stall tent that the hamoni owns. With the very little words that they exchanged, he can feel and sense that she understood those pictures like no one else. 

. . . 

 "Good morning," Seung Ho diligently greeted as he walked into the hair and make up room and sat down. Today's the first shooting of the day which means all sorts of exciting emotions are running throughout the drama set for everybody. "How will Kim Dong Wook be like?"

The hair stylist laughed as she combed out his hair. "Well, how do CEOs look like to you?"

"Uh, smart?" Seung Ho jokingly replied. 

"Dashingly handsome, don't you think?" The hair stylist start adding gel into her hands as she combs through his hair with her fingers. "I've been told to make sure that you look extremely handsome for this drama. Heard it's your first role as a CEO."

Seung Ho shyly covered his face. "Yes, I researched on different type of CEOs to get the image in my head. They're sophisticated, smart, silent at times is what I gathered."

"Don't forget handsome," the hair stylist added. "But you're already handsome as it is."

Shyly covering his face again, Seung Ho cleared his throat as he lightly tap his cheeks to keep from blushing. "You're complimenting me too much, Noona."

The hair stylist laughed at his red cheeks. "Omo, you're really red!" The sound of footsteps caused the both of them to glance over at the door. "So Hyun-ah, come here and look." 

So Hyun slowly made her way over as she formally greeted Seung Ho. "Good morning." 

"Isn't Seung Ho handsome? Don't you think he'll be even more handsome once he changes into his CEO clothes for the role?"

"Ah," So Hyun smiled. "Of course." She looked around the hair and make up room. "Unni, if you're taking care of him, who's doing my hair and makeup?"

"The other hairstylist didn't arrive?" 

"No...." So Hyun stood next to Seung Ho's chair awkwardly as they made eye contact before she adverted her attention over to the hair stylist. "Should I try to find her?"

"No, just stay put." Cleaning her hands with a wet tissue, she looked at Seung Ho and So Hyun. "I'll be back with the other hairstylist in a minute." 

Seung Ho sat in his seat awkwardly as he stared at himself in the mirror. His hair is completely sticking out off to the sides due to the gel. Just as he was about to say something, the burst of laughter from So Hyun surprised him. He turned and looked at her. "Are you laughing at my hair?"

So Hyun covered her month to control her laughter better but as she made eye contact with him, her eyes drift back to his hair. "No.....I mean, yes."

Seung Ho narrowed his eyes at her. "It's not that - " double checking his hair through the mirror once again, he couldn't help but laugh himself. "It's a little funny." He looked at So Hyun, who was knowing bending over as she clenched into her stomach from laughing too hard. "It's my first time."

So Hyun stood back up and looked at him. "Huh?"

"It's my first time to see you laugh so wholeheartedly like that." Seung Ho couldn't help but smile over it.

Realizing at how much she did laugh earlier, So Hyun lightly scoff to herself. "I think it's my first time laughing so hard in months actually." 

"Months?" Seung Ho can understand that feeling. "I think the same goes for me.."

Silence filled the room for a few seconds. "I guess besides our shyness, we have a lot more in common than I thought." So Hyun smiled. "I should apologize for my silence most of the time when we talk. I think it's just because we're still...."

"Awkward?" Seung Ho chuckled lightly. "How about this? Since we haven't been able to laugh a lot lately and this awkward phase between us has to go away someday. Let's make a deal."

"A deal?" So Hyun arched an eyebrow. "What kind of a deal, sunbae?"

"If either one of us feel as if there is an awkward moment between us, we have to make each other laugh. You know, shake off those shy nerves." Seung Ho cleared his throat. "Honestly? It's my first time working with somebody younger than me. Usually, the older costars would ease the tension off for me. But considering how I'm the older one, this is the best deal I can think of." 

"Wouldn't it make the situation more awkward if we're trying to make each other laugh?" Giving the deal another thought, she shrugged her shoulders. "Call." So Hyun agreed.

"How about we start off by getting rid of the formal terms? We did agree last week to speak comfortably, didn't we?"

So Hyun bit her tongue as she didn't want to be the first one to break formalities. "You do it first."

Seung Ho laughed. "Hmmmm," he held out his hand to shake hands with her. "I went to the food stall with the halmoni and I really enjoyed it. I spent close to an hour alone in the tent. Completely secluded and simple food to myself. Thank you for introducing me to that place, So Hyun-ah."

She laughed and nodded her head as she shook hands with him. "You're welcome.....Oppa." 

"Alright, our beautiful main leads - let's get you both in your hair, makeup and outfits for the day!" Two hairstylists walked in with their boxes and huge smiles plastered on their faces.

. . . 

Director Song makes his way over as he directed what prop he wants at what position. "Seung Ho, did you go over the lines?"

"Yes, director." He has gone over this particular scene over 100 times last night. Although this scene will be in the end of the first episode, it's the most impactful for the hot and cold relationship between his character and So Hyun's. He spent the whole day filming on his own as their characters hasn't met yet till the end of episode one but tonight's last shooting scene will be with So Hyun. All day he has heard the drama staff complimenting and anticipating their first scene together. "Do I follow act by act in this particular scene?" It's somewhat an emotional scene. As an actor, he tends to stray away from directions unless he's told not to. 

"No," Director Song replied. "If while filming you naturally do something, just continue. Ad libs are the best when it's for an emotionally charged scene, okay?" He turned his head to see So Hyun walking in with the script in her hand. "So Hyun is here, we start the filming in five minutes!"

Seung Ho watched as the director moved around to show where the lighting panels and boom stick should be. "He really doesn't give us directions on how we should move or be like that, does he?"

So Hyun laughed. "No. He's the kind of director that relies more on the actor's emotions more than anything. He trusts in his actors to know what to do." As she previously worked with him two years, all she could remember is how she free felt while acting. Usually, directors would try to pinpoint to the very last detail of every scene. For Director Song, he would add his input only on certain things and the rest falls on the actors themselves. "Looks like this is our first scene together today."

"And we'll be arguing." Seung Ho lightly joked. He read over his script, the scene shows the two different emotions between the two characters. Kim Dong Wook, his character, is a haughty man who believes that everything has to go to his way. He only knows chooses things that would benefit his own thinking. As CEO aid a fashion company, he tends to nitpick designs until they change it into his idea. In this scene, he is calm yet arrogant in front of the woman who dares to challenge him. 

So Hyun closed her eyes as she read over her lines in her head. Chun Ji Hyo, her character, is a woman who truly finds joy in designing clothes for role. She's driven and has a straightforward personality that doesn't hold back anything. Due to her personality always clashing with her CEO, the both of them don't have the best relationship as employee and employer. In this scene, she is frustrated and angry that her designs were not chosen for the next fall line so she confronts him in his office. 

"Get ready!" Director Song called out as the first warning. 

So Hyun rushed out of the office and stood behind the closed doors. As soon as she heard the word action come out, she quickly got into character and pushed her way through the doors angrily. "Ya! Kim Dong Wook! Is this really how you're going to be like?!"

Switching into character immediately, Seung Ho's eyes changed as he scoffed loudly. He sat still at his desk as he flipped through some papers. "You really have a way to talk to your boss, don't you?" He glanced up and glared at her. "Chun Ji Hyo, don't you think storming in here like this is not only rude but clearly breaks all kinds of boundaries?"

"Boundaries?" She repeated under her breath. "You want to talk about boundaries? How about you stop letting your girlfriend get the seasonal lines for her designs and give chances to other people?!"

The cameras started panning closer as he chuckled. "I choose the designs that best fits with the line, there is nothing wrong with that. How about you go and fix up your designs than coming here arguing with me." He picked up four pieces of papers that happened to be her designs. "Stuff like this don't make it out alive in the fashion industry, Chun Ji Hyo. It's just basic garbage." And just like that, he ripped the designs into pieces and threw it up in the air. 

"YA! Kim Dong Wook!!!!!" She screamed on top of her lungs. 

"And.....cut!!" Director Song clapped his hands at the beautiful and perfect acting by the both of them. "This is take is good. We're going to over the scene again but at a different camera position, okay? Give us five minutes to set it up. Good job both of you." 

So Hyun exhaled deeply as she wiped the small tears that managed to escape her eyes. "Did I scream too loud just now?"

Seung Ho chuckled. "No." 

"Your eyes can be scary," So Hyun commented. "When you looked up after I walked in here, I almost stopped. Those eyes were 2X scarier than Harry's eyes!"

"Harry?" Seung Ho laughed at the name of his past character. "You look scary when you're mad too."

"Really?" So Hyun flipped through the script as she jumped around to get her nerves out of the way. 

"Alright, get ready!" The director called out again. "And....action!"

. . . 

So Hyun collapsed on the bench as she wait for her manager to pull the van up. Filming ended close to midnight and she's currently running on a two hour sleep right now. Without her notice, CEO Kim signed four more contracts with companies. Within a span of one week, she did numerous meetings and shoots for them. Today was the first day of her drama shooting, she should've started it with a lot of energy and happiness. Instead, she found herself holding back her emotions as she tried her best to smile and bring the energy up for the cast and crew as she filmed. Keeping her mood up felt like another job to her. People praise her on set liveliness so much, it feels that she should try to keep it up for them. 

"So Hyun..." she glanced up to see Seung Ho standing before her. "What are you sitting here for?" 

"Waiting for my manager to pull up the van," she immediately stood up. "Are you also leaving?" 

Seung Ho nods his head. "Yeah," looking around their dark surroundings, he didn't feel as if it was safe enough to leave her here alone like this. "I'll just wait here."

Confused. "Why?"

"I'll just wait here until he arrives so you won't  be alone." Seung Ho said as he clenched onto his backpack. "Good job filming today."

So Hyun nervously held her hands together. "Thank you, you did a good job too."

"Looks like we'll start having more scenes tomorrow." Seung Ho didn't know what else to say so he placed his hands around his back as he looked around the empty streets.

So Hyun looked at his odd posture. Without knowing, she lets out a laugh. "It's awkward again."

Seung Ho turned and looked at her laughing. "It is, isn't it?" He chuckled to himself over this situation. How are they ever able to get over this awkward phase? "Do I have to make you laugh or you make me laugh?" A deal is a deal. Since it is awkward, they have to follow through. 

"I'll do it." So Hyun suggested. "You know the small red tent that the halmoni owns? When I first saw it and sat down, she didn't see me there. I kept calling her for an order of rice cakes but it was like she couldn't hear me." 

"Really? She saw me and heard me just fine when I went through." 

So Hyun smiled. "So I moved to a closer table to her. At that time, it wasn't too late at night so I was her only customer. I waved my hand and she made eye contact with me!" She clasped her hands together for a reaction from Seung Ho which made him smile. "She was ignoring me!"

"Why?"

"I didn't know! I kept calling for her attention. Halmoni, Halmoni, Halmoni - over and over again." She sighed as she ran her hand through her long hair. "Just when I was about to give up, I called for her one last time and she finally smiled at me, placing an order of rice cakes in front of me. Do you know why?"

Seung Ho thought about her situation and question for a few seconds. "No, why?"

"Instead of calling her halmoni, I called her 'beautiful halmoni' and just like that I got her attention." 

It was such an unexpected answer that Seung Ho started laughing. "Beautiful halmoni? What about me? When I was there, she's the one that saw me first and offered me a table."

So Hyun made a face. "Halmoni probably noticed how handsome you were so she talked to you first." 

Seung Ho cleared his threat as he briefly looked away due to embarrassment. "Aigoo, you act like you're not pretty." 

Surprised by his compliment, So Hyun smiled. "Halmoni and Ahjummas tend to look at handsome men first than pretty girls." 

"I wonder if we both go there, who would halmoni notice first?" 

"You." So Hyun laughed. Her eyes adverted over to the van pulling up. "Manager Oppa is here." Waving her hand before she bent down to give Seung Ho a formal bow. "Goodbye, sun - " she paused. "Goodbye, Oppa..."

Seung Ho waved his hand. "See you tomorrow." As he watched So Hyun greet her manager and getting into the van, Seung Ho sat down on the bench and took a deep breath. Clenching onto the back of his neck, Seung Ho leaned his head against the building as he closed his eyes. Not filming a drama for over a year made him completely forget how tiring it could sometimes be. He opened his eyes as soon as he felt his phone alerting about a text message. 

Am I picking you up for the poster shooting on Friday? Or you're taking yourself? I have some contracts to give you if I do.

"Contracts?" Seung Ho repeated to himself. What has his company done now?

. . .

Seung Ho watched in his seat as L confidently take his pictures with different gestures and facial expressions at every take. How does he do it? Is it because he's an idol? Poster shooting has started for twenty minutes already and only the men have arrived to the studio. Since the leading ladies have a lot more outfits and hair choices to do, they're taking a bit longer than usual. If this drama was a historical drama, how many outfits would they have to change to? 

"Seung Ho-ssi," the photographer called out. "We'll start with your individual takes as soon as I change my film."

"Okay." Seung Ho answered.

L made his way over to his seat that's next to his and smiled. "I think this has been the easiest part for me since filming began." 

"Easiest? How's your filming going?" They've been filming a week already. Since Seung Ho hasn't had a scene with L just yet, he hasn't been able to see his acting. "Is it hard?"

"Not really," L honestly said. "I think acting is just a whole another world to be a part of. The role I play is the best friend who loves the leading lady but can't say much because he doesn't feel capable of her love. I don't know how to portray those exact feelings." He furrowed his eyebrows together and looked at Seung Ho. "You? Do you know the feeling of love?"

Seung Ho blinked his eyes at the sudden question. He probably has to get use to L's straightforward personality a lot more than he thought. "Uh, no." 

"What?! You've never been in love?"

Shaking his head, Seung Ho lightly chuckled. "I've just been on a few dates but it never resulted in anything more. I can understand what you mean though. It's hard to act on an emotion you've never felt before." Seung Ho glanced over at the photographer who was motioning him over as it's his turn now. "I'll be back."

"Oppa!" Yoon So Hee rushed over with a smile on her face as she twirled around in her skirt. "Isn't this pretty?"

L smiled. "You look very pretty, So Hee. Is that your main outfit for the poster?"

"The production staff wanted this one, I guess." So Hee said. "So Hyun looks so different!"

"Different? What do you mean?" As soon as the question left his mouth, he glanced over at the entrance to see So Hyun walking in. 

With her long, wavy black hair styled to the side, So Hyun walked in heels that even looks uncomfortable with one glance. Styled in long white pants and a sharp pink blazer - So Hyun is dressed as sophiscated as any other business  woman would look like. The only difference is that with So Hyun, she looks effortlessly beautiful and adorable in her own way. "Hello," she made sure to greet everybody as she walked around the studio. 

"Wow!" L brightly clapped his hands. "Our maknae looks so beautiful!" 

So Hyun cleared as she took a drink of water. "Thank you." 

"Fashion designer attire makes you look even more mature," So Hee said. "Are you sure you're really 6 years younger than me?"

"Do I really look that old?!" So Hyun's eyes widened. She took a peek of herself from a full length mirror that was randomly there. From head to toe, she was dressed as a proper 22 year old like how her character is. Nothing from her makeup or outfit shows that she's 19 years old. "Aigoo, I do look old."

L rummaged the top of her head playfully. "You look fine."

So Hyun slightly stepped back, a little taken back from L's sudden skinship. Her eyes adverted over to the photographer and Seung Ho. It's surprising to see how different Seung Ho is from real life. Right now, all she can see is Actor Yoo Seung Ho. There isn't any trace of shyness in him. Instead, all she sees is charisma, grace and fierceness in his eyes as he moves around for each photo. 

"We finish filming episode one tomorrow," So Hee said. "Can't believe we'll start filming episode two already. When does the drama broadcast?"

"In a month," L answered. "I think we'll have five episodes done before it goes on air." He looked between So Hee and So Hyun. "Have you both filmed a scene together yet?" He has been so focus on his own scenes, he hasn't been able to read the following dialogues or situations for other characters.

"Yes," So Hyun said. "She slapped me."

So Hee gave an apologetic smile to her. "I didn't slap for real though."

"So Hyun-ssi!" She glanced over to see the photographer calling for her. "We might as well get your couple shots with Seung Ho. Come here." 

"Ah, okay." So Hyun rushed over to Seung Ho's side. "Do I stand here?"

The photographer sighed as he tapped his camera. "Hold on, stay put. Let me grab another set of film. I don't know what's wrong with my camera today."

Seung Ho sighed out of relief as he leaned against the back drop. Twisting his arms around as he relax his body, he watched as So Hyun started tapping her foot against the floor along with the background music that's playing. "You dance and sing as well, right?"

"Not good at it though," So Hyun softly said. "I'm not an idol so I can only be considered as okay level." 

"Okay level?" Seung Ho repeated. "I watched your performances for the award shows, that's not okay level. You're a pro."

Surprised that he watched her singing and dancing performances for the awards, she stopped tapping and looked at him. "You watched it?"

"I'm back," the photographer hurried over and fixed up his camera. "Production told me to take your pictures with three key words." Counting down his fingers with each word. "Passion, Heartache and Love." He looked between the young actors with a worrisome expression written all over his face. "Do you think you can do so?"

"We can try," Seung Ho laughed lightly. For the past week, all he and So Hyun has been filming together so far are either screaming scenes or coldly ignoring each other scenes - they still haven't been able to film a scene where their characters are speaking decently or not glaring at each other. "Won't we, So Hyun?"

So Hyun nodded her head as a reply. "We will do our best." Once the lights went dim and the photographer looked through his camera, he gave the ok signal for them to start. So Hyun watched as Seung Ho placed both hands on both side of her cheeks, his eyes looking into hers intensely. Silently getting into character, she gripped her hands on both sides of his waist as she stared back at him. They held the position for more than two minutes before the photographer asked for another pose. With the production staff watching and directing how they should hold or look at each other - So Hyun and Seung Ho managed to pull off everything so easily for the next ten minutes. 

"Seung Ho! I need you to wrap your arms around her as if you never want to let her go." The photographer instructed as he moved around to get a closer shot. "I need intensity in your eyes, filled with passion." 

"Excuse me," Seung Ho said politely as he wrapped his arms around her. With her face on his chest, he stared into the camera with the expression as instructed. Once the ok signal appeared, he lets go of So Hyun. "Sorry."

"It's okay." She said as she faced the cameras again, focus on what the photographer wants next. 

Walking closer to the both of them, he gave them an encouraging smile. "I need one last couple of shots of you both looking into each other's eyes as you stand like this," he gently moved So Hyun farther to the left side and Seung Ho to the right side. "Hold hands and look into each other's eyes. As if you're in love. I've been told that this can convey into the later part of the drama once you become a couple in there."

Seung Ho held his hand out for So Hyun. As soon as they hands and fingers intertwined, he looked down at her big, round eyes. He hasn't notice how round her eyes were until now. 

So Hyun couldn't focus. As she looked up to stare into his eyes, she keeps noticing how soft and kind Seung Ho's were. Taking a couple of deep breaths, she pulled herself back into character as Chun Ji Hyo - looking lovingly at Seung Ho.

"PERFECT! Hold the position and look for a couple more minutes, please!" The photographer instructed as he moved around, snapping his camera away.

Over at the corner where So Hee and L stands and observing the two main leads, they watched as some of the staff were taking secret photos over their photoshoot. "Wow, the affect of Yoo Seung Ho and Kim So Hyun."

. . .

author's note: wow! the beautiful comments and love that I received from the first chapter was absolutely insane! i really didn't expect that! it's so crazy, thank you so much! it sinerely means alot for me to read so many comments, makes me feel so much more motivated to write about our beautiful shy shy couple! as you can see, this chapter is super long - thanks to you guys! i just kept adding more due to the beautiful comments! thank you so much! i hope you all like this chapter and the development so far between them! please comment and subscribe! thank you!