friendship / maybe you’re not so bad

just a rumor | seventeen

it was just a few days before the start of christmas break, and mingyu and wonwoo were lying on a couch, watching and switching through channels every now and then. the two were lazily positioned with mingyu's feet rested on top of the coffee table and wonwoo's legs placed on top of the other's lap, his head on the arm rest.

 

"aren't we supposed to be packing to go home?" wonwoo thought out loud.

 

mingyu replied, "we started, mind you. we just got sidetracked and procrastinated."

 

"you know what's going on with at least someone in our group?"

 

"only the summary of '95 line, but not much else."

 

"speaking of '95 line," wonwoo started. "people haven't been teasing us lately, even kai and mina."

 

mingyu turned his head to his left and sent the older a look. "that's 'cause they were mostly the ones doing it. yuna started to take over a few times, but we all know it's minsu that she ships."

 

"you think?" he shook his head at the younger. "she went on top of a chair and screamed, 'shut the up and stop whatever the hell you're doing and ship minsu' to the cafeteria."

 

mingyu chuckled. "she was murdered by them after though."

 

"i would murder her too if she did that with us." wonwoo chuckled. mingyu smiled and agreed with him. 

 

"what even are we?" mingyu asked seriously. the older stopped chuckling and decided not to look into mingyu's eyes this time, hoping he could avoid or dodge the question.

 

"we're best friends. no matter what happens, we'll always be best friends," he replied shortly, a nervous feeling rising in him.

 

"wonwoo, what if i don't want friendship?" 

 

wonwoo's eyes widened in shock, but he kept his head lowered down to prevent mingyu from seeing the blush dusted across his cheeks. "what?" he whispered in disbelief.

 

the younger sighed. crap, he thought, well, there's no turning back now. he took a deep breath and repeated his question quickly, his words too fast for wonwoo to understand. "maybeikindasortalikeyouinadifferentway," he replied quickly.

 

wonwoo glanced at mingyu for a few seconds but immediately looked away. "um, i didn't really understand what you just said," he chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

 

"okay," mingyu started slowly this time. "maybe i kinda sorta like you in a different way that's not platonic and-yeah." the boy braced himself for the harsh rejection and the shattering feeling in his heart until the other spoke once again.

 

mingyu heard wonwoo say, "well, maybe that's good since i kinda probably like you back." mingyu thought that he was either imagining things and was about to snap back to reality, or he heard wonwoo wrong.

 

"aren't you gonna say anything?" asked wonwoo. "i did just say that i liked you back, you know."

 

mingyu's eyebrows raised in slight surprise. "oh, so i'm not imagining things," he mumbled. he coughed, "so, um, what are we? you didn't answer my question."

 

the other rolled his eyes playfully then smiled softly. "well, we could start off slow if you want," wonwoo suggested. "but i don't really think we're boyfriends yet. i don't know, i'm not that good at this stuff."

 

the younger nodded. "okay."

 

"how do they make this look so easy and not awkward in dramas?" wonwoo asked in a slightly exasperated tone. 

 

mingyu shrugged and turned his hand back to the screen in front of them. every now and then, his gaze would be on the boy beside him, and he would stare at him with admiration and awe. "i can see you staring, mingyu," said wonwoo.

 

mingyu blushed in embarassment. wonwoo shook his head at him, muttering something along the lines of, "why do you have to be adorable?" the older inched a bit closer to the other and placed his hand on his, intertwining their fingers.

 

***

[ note: bold - english

bold italics - japanese ]

 

mina carried a duffel bag on her shoulder as she entered her old house, immediately heading towards what used to be her bedroom. most of her family was still out doing a last minute shopping spree before christmas day, so it was just her mother with her at the moment.

 

as she stepped into her old bedroom, she dropped the duffel bag to the floor, and it landed with a thud. she looked around the room, gazing at the memories it still held from previous years filled with wonderful memories. mina smiled fondly at the things she had left behind before going off to college.

 

suddenly, the sound of her ringtone filled the comforting yet deafening silence in the bedroom. mina took her phone out of her jean pocket and glanced at the caller. it was yuna.

 

she's probably going to fuss over me or something, the girl thought to herself. that, or she asks if plants have feelings again.

 

mina answered her phone. "hello?"

 

she heard the familiar sound of yuna's voice say, "hey! are you at your house already? did you eat dinner?"

 

"yes for the house part, and no for the dinner part," mina answered, taking a seat on the bed.

 

yuna replied, "you better eat dinner, or i will personally march over there and give you chips."

 

"says the one who skips meals everyday-"

 

"shut up," her best friend mumbled.

 

"-and doesn't tell kai or jisoo, or basically anyone else who still doesn't notice," the older finished, smirking slightly.

 

"anyways, have you talked to jisu lately?" asked the other.

 

mina shook her head but remembered she was on the phone and not talking with her roommate in person. "nope."

 

"you need to talk to her soon, okay? she's been suspecting stuff and asking me who you like, and it's only a matter of time before kai snaps and shouts that you like her. so, please talk to jisu," yuna insisted.

 

"what the , kai knows?"

 

"no, but you guys are victims of her shipping, so it's very much expected," the younger answered nonchalantly.

 

"whatever, i'll do it later."

 

"you better do it, or-" the girl was cut off.

 

"i said i'll do it." mina grit her teeth in frustration, but she didn't know why she was acting like this in the first place.

 

yuna replied, "jeez, dude. i was just saying it because i don't want you to be hurt or anything like that."

 

"and i told you millions of times not to fuss over me!" mina's voice started to raise.

 

"well, i'm sorry for trying to show that i care," yuna retorted, her voice raising as well. "you ask me for advice, so i try to give you the advice!"

 

mina scoffed. "how could you possibly give me advice when you don't even know what the i'm going through right now?"

 

"i don't know the you're going through?" the two were yelling at each other by now. mina's hands were balled into fists as she clutched onto the bedsheets tightly with anger and frustration. "i don't ing know who the hell i like! one of them is aual and doesn't like people other than in a platonic way, and the other one is still getting over a breakup, and he won't be thinking of liking someone else after this!" yuna was switching from english to korean after each sentence she spouted from .

 

"you still don't know every single ing thing about what's going on with me, so don't say that you're going through something worse," mina growled. the girl was also switching from her native language, which was japanese, and korean.

 

"i know i like girls, but i don't know who i am!" the older screamed. "i've been questioning myself for almost nine months now, and you. didn't. ing. notice." 

 

mina heard the sound of the floor creaking and the bedroom door being pushed open. she sighed. "i-uh, need to do something. bye." she heard yuna from the other side of the call say, "what the ?" in english before she hung up.

 

the girl turned around to face her mother, who was staring at her in shock and disgust. "was that true? what you said on the phone?" she asked her in disbelief. "you like girls?"

 

mina raised an eyebrow at her and laughed dryly. "eavesdropping now, are we?"

 

her mother ignored her question and asked again, "you're gay?"

 

"oh no, because liking girls totally means that i'm straight," she commented sarcastically, rolling her eyes at her.

 

and then, her own mother whispered in a harsh whisper, "get out."

 

"what was that?"

 

"i said get the hell out of my house!" she seethed, pointing out the door. "you're not my daughter, i raised you to be a normal kid, not some who likes girls! how are we supposed to continue our family if you don't like boys? and no, i don't want to see you kissing someone your gender—it's wrong. i don't want to call you my daughter, it would seem like i raised you wrong, when really, you were just born wrong."

 

mina said nothng, she stayed silent. she muttered curse words under her breath as she picked up the most important things out of the stuff that she had left behind and shoved them inside her duffel bag. she slung it over her shoulder and walked briskly out of the room, her eyes beginning to water.

 

once she stepped out of her house, the door slammed loudly behind her, making her flinch. she wiped her eyes with the sleeves of her grey hoodie, walking away from what used to be her home with her head lowered in shame.

 

the saddened girl began to walk towards a 7/11 and entered the store. she walked to one of the aisles and grabbed a six pack of beer in a can. mina payed for it then walked out of the store, starting to drink from one of the cans as soon as she stepped out.

 

in another house nearby, there stood a girl named jisu. she waited in her kitchen, watching her mug fill up with coffee. she tiredly rubbed her eyes then took her mug of coffee, blowing at it before sipping from it slowly. 

 

her cat, ironically named the unnamed cat, meowed as it walked towards the front door. the doorbell rang loudly, making the unnamed cat jump in surprise and dash away to the stairs and up to jisu's room. the girl sighed and walked over to the door to answer it.

 

surprisingly, she found one of her closest friends outside her door, drunk and laughing with several beer cans in her arms with her bag slung lazily over her shoulder, slowly slipping down to the ground. "heyyy, jisuuu," mina slurred.

 

jisu looked at mina with a confused expression. "are you drunk? never mind, don't answer that. come in," she said, still staring strangely at the drunk girl in her house.

 

drunk mina suddenly collapsed onto her couch and groaned. the older began to head towards the kitchen tp get the other either another mug of coffee or a glass of water. she stopped dead in her tracks once she heard mina sniffling and sob quietly into the soft cushions.

 

"mina." she stepped over to her cautiously. "are you crying?"

 

all she did was nod at the question. jisu sighed and sat beside her, pulling the other to sit up and placed her head on her shoulder. jisu rubbed mina's back, whispering to her to let it all out.

 

"wanna tell me what happened, mina?" she asked in a gentle tone.

 

mina nodded. "i—i'm sorry if i haven't been talking to you lately, i-i'm just c-c-confused r-r-r-right now."

 

the older raised an eyebrow. "that's it?"

 

the younger glared at her slightly before continuing. "i didn't finish," she said, sniffling. "i-i've been really confused a-about my f-f-f-feelings."

 

jisu nodded, deciding not to reply until she finished.

 

"i l-l-like girls," mina admitted, making the other's eyes widen in surprise. "i've been questioning since-one, two, three, four, five-nine! nine months now, and the only ones who know are you and y-yuna."

 

"i-i went back h-h-h-home today, and yuna called. she was telling me to talk to you again and stuff because you were worried or some , i-i c-c-can't remember. b-but, we got in a fight. she started to yell in english, i think, since it didn't sound korean. we were both yelling at each other, and she b-brought up my s-se-uality problem."

 

mina choked back a sob before taking a deep breath and continued, "m-m-mom heard me. she told me i was a d-d-disappointment, a d-disgrace to the f-fa-family b-basically. i understand why sh-she said that though, i mean, who would want a g-g-gay p-person in the family? at least, for my religious one. then, she k-kicked me out."

 

jisu nodded, not knowing what to say. "i'm gonna kick her for not accepting you. i mean, who wouldn't like the park mina? you're amazing and fantabulous, and you shouldn't care about what the she has to say about you," she told her, trying to comfort her.

 

mina wiped her face with her sleeve. "t-t-thanks, j-ji." she smiled warmly at her while the other gave her a comforting side hug.

 

"tell you what, you can stay here until we have to go back to college."

 

"n-no, you don't have to do that f-f-for me, i-" she was cut off by jisu.

 

"i want to," she told her. "you're not gonna be a burden, okay?"

 

mina nodded.

 

"anyways, want some ice cream?" the younger's eyes lit up at those words as she nodded eagerly. "okay then, we can watch a movie."

 

 

[a/n:]

i'm sosososososooooo sorry for not updating for a really long time but i was very much stressed with school, tests, drama, procrastination and whatever else can bother a 15 year old. it's almost chRISTMAS SO THAT MEANS BREAK & i will try my best to update as much as possible:))