THREE

5 Seconds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Glaring at the dark clouds, I huffed in annoyance. It was another Monday morning and I had classes to attend. A raindrop fell on my eyelash and another followed suit. Groaning, I pulled my hoodie up and ran to a tree to seek shelter. I closed my eyes and a moment later, they flew open in shock. It had been days but everytime I closed my eyes, I kept remembering what happened between me and Baekhyun. After the truth or dare game, we casually packed up and went on our own ways. I dragged Jisoo with me to escape Baekhyun who has been acting like nothing happened. It had been days and I still haven’t told any of the girls about it. Was there even anything to tell? It might not even be a big deal to Baekhyun. He’s Byun Baekhyun, after all. I wasn’t the first girl kissed and I won’t be the last. Sighing, I looked up at the sky and found an umbrella hovering me. Turning my head to the side, Baekhyun--with his usual smile that warms my heart and gaze that sees through me--was standing beside me and holding the umbrella over me.

“Ya, how long have you been deprived?” In a deadpan face, Baekhyun asked me.

Curiously looking at him, I tilted my head in question. “What?”

“You’re out here under the rain because you want to get wet, right?” Baekhyun’s face broke into a smile as he dropped the punchline. As he laughed at his own joke, I glared at him until he sobered up.

“I’m just a concerned best friend.” He held hands up, palms outward, in defense.

Rolling my eyes, I muttered, “Your concern is not needed.”

Changing the topic, he asked, “Where’s your next class?”

“I have a one-hour break before my next class.”

“Let’s go eat in the cafeteria.” Before I could even answer, Baekhyun was already pulling me to the direction of where the cafeteria was. It’s not like I had a choice since the umbrella was his. So I let him drag me away with his hand holding my wrist.

Stealing a glance at Baekhyun, I wondered what he was thinking. He’s acting completely normal as if we never kissed. I was starting to think the kiss was just a product of my imagination because like what Baekhyun said, I had been deprived of for a while. Baekhyun still had that stupid smile on his face like he had everything under control and he could take on the world with no worries. How could I like him? Shaking my head in denial, I reassured myself with the idea that it’s impossible to like Baekhyun. I couldn’t like someone happy-go-lucky like him. I like my men mature and responsible. Nodding my head, I followed Baekhyun through the cafeteria.


 

Sitting on a chair, I placed my bag on the other chair beside me as Baekhyun sat across me. He fished for his phone in the pocket of his jeans and took it out.

“Should I tell the others to come over?” He asked as he typed furiously on his phone.

Shrugging my shoulders, I said, “Your call.”

Baekhyun glanced at me before nodding. He then placed his phone on top of the table. Looking at the phone, I asked out of curiosity, “Did you ask them already?”

“You said it was my call.” Baekhyun replied nonchalantly as he looked for something inside his bag.

“I did and you were typing something on your phone so I’m asking.” I shot back.

Baekhyun looked at me for a moment before getting back to whatever he’s searching for inside his bag. “I didn’t ask them to come.”

“Why?” I asked in surprise. We usually hung out as a group during our breaks.

“Because I want the two of us to be alone.” Baekhyun said in a matter-of-factly tone.

His response caught me off guard and my eyebrow raised in reply but he wasn’t looking at me. The pace of my heartbeat went faster than usual as I wondered whether or not he would open up about what happened between us.

“Ah, I found it!” Baekhyun interrupted my train of thoughts and my eyes shifted to the book he was holding out for me.

“You read books now?” My eyes widened in disbelief.

Rolling his eyes at me, Baekhyun said, “Read the title.”

“A Guide for the Single and Lonely Heart.” I read aloud. In a deadpan expression, I asked, “So?”

“This is my gift for you! Aren’t I a good best friend?” Baekhyun nodded his head as if he was proud of himself.

“How did this make you a good best friend?” I asked, taking the book from his hands and opening it.

His voice coated in seriousness, Baekhyun told me, “I’ve been concerned about you, Jendeuk. You haven’t dated for a long time now. When was the last time you dated--back when we were in middle school?”

Glaring at him, I  slapped his forehead with the book and he grunted in pain. “, I don’t need this book. I can handle dating just fine.”

Rubbing his forehead, Baekhyun smirked and asked, “When was the last time you dated? Wasn’t it back when we were in middle school and that guy called Song Minho or something asked you out? I remember your mom telling mine about it and they were frustrated because they wanted us to date.”

Shuddering, I remember how much my own mother and Baekhyun’s mother wanted me and Baekhyun to end up with each other. They met each other when they were in college and became the best of friends so Baekhyun and I had known each other since our diaper days. Our mothers were so desperate to pair us up that they probably wouldn’t mind if Baekhyun ever got me pregnant. Recalling the kiss with Baekhyun, I felt my cheeks getting hot. If our mothers found out, they would surely prepare our wedding already. Shaking my head to shake my thoughts off, I looked straight at Baekhyun.

“Did you forget that I dated Hanbin back in high school? We were together for years.” I genuinely wondered whether Baekhyun forgot the one and only guy I considered my ex.

To my surprise, Baekhyun’s stare hardened and his jaw clenched. “Don’t mention that guy ever again. He doesn’t exist.”

“Here we go again.” I muttered under my breath, avoiding Baekhyun’s eyes.

“Ya, how can you be so casual about it?” Baekhyun demanded to know.

Shrugging my shoulders, I took out a sandwich and a pack of juice from my bag then poked the straw through the pack of juice. “It has been a while since we broke up. I’m over it. There’s nothing to be angry about anymore.”

“That cheated on you after dating you for years! He made you cry for days! Do you know how traumatizing it was to see you bawling your eyes out? You’re Jennie Kim, you have no heart but you cried over that guy for days!” Baekhyun said in a loud voice. Some people turned to look at us so I immediately shoved a sandwich into Baekhyun’s mouth.

Glaring at him as I sipped on my juice, I said, “Can we not bring up those days anymore? It’s disgusting to remember I cried over someone.”

Nodding his head, Baekhyun spoke with his mouth full, “Let’s pretend Kim Hanbin did not exist, okay? He doesn’t deserve a place in your memories.”

Chuckling, I said, “I was talking about forgetting the part I cried. There’s nothing wrong with bringing Hanbin up. I loved him once, after all.”

“Enough with this Kim Hanbin talk.” Crossing his arms on his chest, Baekhyun sighed before stealing the pack of juice I was sipping on.

Just then, Suho suddenly appeared and removed Baekhyun’s bag then sat beside Baekhyun. “What’s with all this Kim Hanbin talk? Who is he?” Turning his head to Baekhyun, Suho’s eyebrow raised in question.

“Jendeukie’s ex.” Looking up, we sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter