High School Musical??? RomanosCheese

KwaniNoni Drabbles.

New Year’s eve 2016 and it’s snowing heavily in the mountains where most middle class families run to for vacation. Dragging along their reluctant children and cramming the word “fun” into their bored little minds. Here, a popular ski-lodge is being overfilled with music and warmth and an atmosphere of this so-called “fun”. However, one lone boy steered away from the crowd. Opting to practice plays and receives in the gym instead. ‘Practice makes better’ he’s always said.

 

“The year is ending in an hour, Seungkwan, and you choose to play volleyball.” Seungkwan’s mother stood in the doorway watching on as her son sweated like crazy while spiking the balls with unbelievable force. She tapped her feet exasperatedly when he ignored her. “I know you hear me, young man.”

 

“Sorry, mah, I just got accepted to the school of my dreams! I can't afford to slack off especially when I was accepted to be the libero of the team!” the blonde argued. He knew he wasn’t as tall as most volleyball players, being barely taller than his mother. But, as he met his future teammates, a pink haired kid who was even shorter than him, another not too tall guy who was the captain by the name of Hoshi(?), an actually really tall guy but with awkward limbs and movement, finally a guy with tan skin a elongated nose and a smile that could very well light up the world. Seeing how normal his teammates seemed, made him gain a bit of confidence. “I just got to be on top of my A-game once the season starts.” he explained determinedly.

 

However the older more maternal version of him just rolled her eyes. “And who's going to keep your sisters from acting up?” she sassily replied, hands resting against her hip. Seungkwan finally looked at her noticing her attire. Very formal, overdressed in some senses, he rolled his eyes; she was trying to get a date. Walking over to her he wiped a bit of her lipstick off to her chagrin and smiled.

 

“Okay, okay, mah, I’ll shower and head out to that party, if only to chaperone you.” he responded fondly. His mother wanted to argue but was left no choice since her son was already halfway across the gym toward the locker room. She laughed to herself wondering just where did he get that personality from.

 

----

 

On the other side of lodge, was another lone boy. His nose was positively buried in his book. He blocked the outside world so much he barely heard his mother calling his name. Look up with teary eyes he saw his mother sigh and look upwards mumbling ‘what will I do with you?’ to the heavens.

 

“Vernon, Are you crying because of that book again?”

 

“Mom, Lord Aldersmith died!” Vernon replied as if this was the most obvious thing in the world. His mother just stared back trying to keep up with his nonsensical rambles about this fictional universe in which wizards exist, pigs can fly, and the main character is an alien from the future.

 

Vernon’s mom just sighed. “Okay, that's wonderful sweetie,” she paused cringing at the incredulous glare she received. “I-I mean it's tragic that Lord AlfredJones-”

 

“Aldersmith.” he corrected.

 

“Lord Aldersmith. Anyway, hun, you know I 100% support your literary interest and I know this is your way to cope with the big move from the other side of the world….” she stopped to see if Vernon was even listening.

 

“Moving to Korea wasn’t even my choice.” Vernon spat out closing his book harshly, finally giving her his full attention.

 

“I know. But, we did this for you and your sister….” she stopped when she realized her points weren’t going through. “Listen, no if, ands, or buts, take your behind inside and join the party.” She put her foot down and pointed at the doorway. “Make friends.” there was no question or room for argument. Vernon just complied and went inside.

 

-----

 

The party was already in full swing. Music blasting, people dancing, and once Vernon entered he could already feel the uncomfortable stares of people who noticed his and his mother’s presence. Vernon rolled his eyes, there was virtually no shame. They all stared at him because of his caucasian features a few of them even pointed.  He didn’t understand the big deal. So his hair was a lighter color, or his nose was high raised. Either way he doesn’t think this warrants hushed murmurs or intruding fingers. This was something he had grown accustomed to after a month. No longer was he the young boy that would cower at the intense stares. He instead, found the darkest corner with the least population density and holed himself there. His mother practically gave up and went off to join her friends.

 

Seungkwan had entered moments later on the other side of the room. He quickly found some acquaintances he met at the game earlier and stopped over to talk with them.

 

The MC—some guy who introduced himself as YoonAngel and wore some cheesy wings accompanied by a plastic halo wired above his head—grabbed the mic. He cleared his throat calling attention to himself. “Alright, alright, alright! It's time for angelme to turn into cupidme!” he cheered vehemently clearly excited about his next segment. “Time for the Love Connection Karaoke! Dj S.Coups, find us our first victims!”

 

Suddenly the lights went darker and two spotlights could be seen searching the crowd. They moved around for seemingly a long time before stopping right on two unsuspecting boys. Vernon and Seungkwan.

 

Suddenly the people around them cheered. Vernon who was reading was suddenly hoisted up and pushed towards the front. Seungkwan was battling a group of giggling girls on his own. They both insisted that they could not sing but their protest fell on deaf ears.

 

Vernon awkwardly grabbed the mic, feeling his face flush as he looked out at the see of people. His partner didn’t seem to be doing any better as his mouth simply opened and closed with no sound projecting making him look like a fish out of water. A beautiful fish, Vernon retracted. But, that was besides the point.

 

“I-I really can’t sing!” he pleaded for the both of their sakes. He just wanted to read his book and be alone for the rest of the year. All his friend’s in New York weren’t even celebrating New Year's yet! It just felt so wrong and backwards to be celebrating so far away from home. Even if it was so his sister and him could have a ‘better’ life. He looked to his partner but he was still set in a status of shock.

 

“Sorry, bro, no can do! The spotlight has chosen and that is final~” Vernon clicked his tongue this Yoon guy seemed way too excited. “Can you rap?” the blonde man question. Vernon paused thoughtfully before slowly nodding, confirming his suspicions. “I can pick a song perfect for you then!”

 

Vernon wanted to continue his protest but was cut short when the music started up. “Ariana Grande? Really?” he wanted to judge but he was also guilty of singing along to this song as well. However, the biggest shocker was when his partner started to sing.

 

I love the way you make me feel, I love it, I love it.

I love the way you make me feel, I love it, I love it.

 

Vernon’s mouth hung agape. Had he heard an angel? He didn’t think the guy couldn't sing or anything but he didn’t know he was just so...so talented! Vernon caught the sheepish look the boy gave when he noticed Vernon’s unabashed staring. He started to nod over to the machine that had the lyrics to remind Vernon his turn was up. The taller immediately shook off his instant goosebumps and cleared his throat. For some reason he just didn’t want to lose.

 

I thinkin’ ‘bout him

Every second every hour

Do my singing in the shower

Picking petals off the flowers like-

Do he love me, do he love me not?

I’m not a player I just ---- ----

 

The real surprise was how confident Vernon became once his turn came up. He smirked when he noticed he was now the receiver of that wow, you're really good look.

 

Seungkwan started up again. He didn’t think he could sing that well. But, given the cheers and shocked looks from around the room (even his own mother) he guesses he must have a pleasant voice at the most. He’ll embarrassingly admit that he sings a lot when no one is around, often to Ariana or Mariah Carey especially Beyonce but he never thought he was any good.

 

Although, the gasps when he perfectly executes a high note or when his voice soothe the crowd does make him feel really good. Good enough to become an addict. It also helps that his partner is some sort of model coverboy with a cool voice that seems like he could read the most boringest passage known to man and make is sound interesting.

 

I got a bad boy I must admit it,

You got my heart don’t know how you did it

And I don't care who sees it babe

I don't wanna hide the way I feel when you’re next to me…

 

At the Vernon even joined in the singing. He wasn’t amazing which caused the crowd to giggle but with Seungkwan’s low harmonic singing and his rough deep voice, it blended perfectly to end the song. Once the music faded out, the crowd stood in silence. Seungkwan worried for a moment that they were actually God-awful and they're going to get booed off the stage until thunderous clapping could he heard across the room. He was shocked at how much they liked it even calling for an encore. Vernon blush madly not used to having this many eyes on him all at once. Usually it was more side glances or peeks but now he was the in the public eye more than ever.

 

Seungkwan noticed the boy in his mini dilemma and grabbed his arm tugging him through the cheering crowd and towards the exit and out on the balcony.

 

They stood outside panting feeling exhilarated from what they just did. Finally looking at each other, they both secretly hoped they could blame the cold on their flushed cheeks.

 

“You okay?” Seungkwan started looking at the boy closer. He had the longest eyelashes and perfect skin he had ever seen. Vernon nodded trying to hide his face behind his long fringe. His blush was darkening at the proximity of their faces and he couldn’t help but notice how perfectly pouty and pink the smaller’s lips were.

 

“Yo-you were amazing in there…” Vernon wanted to facepalm at just how awkward he sounded.

 

“Thanks….you were really cool back there too…” Seungkwan replied avoiding the boy’s gaze. Seriously, just how long was he going to stare?

 

“Naw, you’re just saying that, I’m a nerd, nerds don’t rap,” Vernon mumbled the last part as if it was something natural and accepted in the laws of life. That yes, nerd do not in fact rap. Seungkwan let out a little choked laughter making Vernon furrow his bows.

 

“You were amazing, dude. Don’t sell yourself short.” the blonde smiled and Vernon admitted, it did something to his heart. They stayed outside admiring the night sky and talking about their parents, siblings, school, and pretty much everything in between.

 

“You’re going to be the libero at Pledis High School Varsity Volleyball team?!” Vernon blinked.

 

“Yeah...do you even know what that means?” Seungkwan was all smiles as the boy shook his head shyly. “It’s okay.” he proceeded to pat the taller on his shoulder. “Hey, we should like exchange numbers, who knows if we’ll meet up again…plus I could explain the rules of volleyball to you later” Vernon agreed and they switched phones putting their names and numbers in each other’s phone, Seungkwan even took a picture which Vernon did as well but quickly deleted it since he felt he looked weird. He ducked his head at the little giggle he earned from his spazziness.

 

The countdown began and they could hear the party growing louder as they neared number one. The two boys froze and looked at each other when the bell rang bringing in the new year. Thinking about all those movies in which couples kiss on new years made Vernon’s ears grow hot. The fireworks began and even then their eyes stayed trained on each other sharing some kind of silent connection.

 

‘Oh yeah, Kwannie, can you get anymore cheesier?’ Seungkwan puffed out his cheeks finally breaking the intense eye contact. He was known to fall in love easily by his friends but by the looks of Vernon he was probably straight. Aka, he had a snowball’s chance in hell. Maybe he was sadden by this, or maybe he was already numb to this realization since Seungkwan had a perfect record for falling for straight boys.

 

Vernon was rambling on about really nothing in particular but the smile on his face made Seungkwan fall just that much more in love. he thought. He barely met this guy yet he was already thinking about what theme for the wedding and what their first born would be named.

 

Seungkwan could hear his sisters calling for him and knew that if he waited around any longer they would see Vernon and try to get him number. He couldn’t risk that. So while Vernon droned on he made a break for it.

 

The blonde’s woes went unnoticed by Vernon was he was too into describing his novel he was writing to even notice that Seungkwan wasn’t even next to him. Upon this realization, Vernon pouted. Feeling ditched, he looked at the picture of the boy he learned was named Seungkwan, and smiled to himself at the sudden notification.  

 

Seungkwan: sorry dude, family stuff.

Seungkwan: your story sounds dope.

Seungkwan: maybe I’ll see you around sometime?

 

Vernon felt his heart warm as the thought of meeting Seungkwan again made him practically jump for joy. Little did they know that they would be meeting again very soon…..





Wait. You’re attending Pledis High as well?!”


See? Lazy. I aint know whether to continue or naw but if someone writes this link tf outta me and please make Jeonghan Sharpey. I would kill for that thanks! This is dedicated to RomanosCheese, she requested it! Go to her page and read her fics please A+ fanfction!

 

And also thanks to everyone for commenting, reading, subbing, all that alllll that. I appreciate it and I am really taking suggestions! Anything (mostly) you guys want!

((lol yes Vernon is Gabriella and Seungkwan is Troy the idea was just too good. Plus its super loosely based off of High School musical the plot in my head does not go the same way))

((like theres no random dancing and singing but there is a competition they end up practicing for because music is just soooo good.))

((And Seungkwan accepts his musical side early no angsty teenage confusion he doesn't have to get his head in the game and apparently no overbearing macho dad so....yeah.))

 

Also I made a verkwan fmv to 'Fresh Eyes' by Andy Grammer....give it some love please....