Hello and Goodbye

Swipe Right
Please log in to read the full chapter

Today's the day where I finally meet Daehyun, and you have no idea how nervous I am for this. For the past few days, we've been messaging each other and our conversations seem to get longer and longer. However, you can still say that I'm a bit awkward especially when I don't know what to say next.

  Anyways, I literally wake up at 7 in the morning and lie on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I can get more sleep, but my body is betraying me and won't let me close my eyes. My mind is just too worried about my encounter with Daehyun later today. I really don't want to disappoint him and I don't want to embarrass myself because, let's face it, I am prone to making a fool out of myself when I get nervous.

  I think I end up staring at the ceiling and thinking about what I should wear and what I should talk about for about an hour and a half before I get up to prepare myself some breakfast. It isn't much because the nerves is getting to me and causing me to lose my appetite. I literally just get a bowl of cereal and milk before brushing my teeth and heading back to my room to pick something to wear.

  Standing in front of my closet, I stare at all the possible outfits I can wear. I don't want to be too drabby, but I also don't want to be too flashy. I don't want him to think I always wear a t-shirt and shorts everyday. I definitely need to pick something appropriate for today. It's not going to be too hot, but also we might be inside most of the time. Or I can take him around campus? No. That'll be a big mistake because who would want to walk around campus on a weekend?

  Choosing my clothes is difficult enough, but I did end up wearing jeans, white v-neck shirt, and a navy blazer. Now, I need to worry about my hair. Ah, I guess I can just go with the usual hair style because I can't do much with it anyways.

  By the time I finish getting ready, it's only 10:30 which means I have about another hour and half before I need to meet with Daehyun. Should I be there early or should I get there on time? Or maybe I can come a little after 12 because I don't want him to think I am too excited to meet him, but I also don't want him to think that I seem like I ditched him. Should I take my car or should I walk? It's not to far, but what if I start sweating and have sweat stains all over my clothes.

  I take a deep breath and carefully think about the situation. It's a hassle trying to find parking anyways, so maybe it doesn't hurt to walk. And if I'm walking, I'll just get there early, go to the restroom, and cool off until I stop sweating. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan.

  I check the time. It's only 10:45, and it'll take me about thirty minutes to walk there so I'll get there by 11:15 which will then give me 45 minutes to dry off. That doesn't sound so bad. I grab my wallet and phone and stuff it into my pockets. Locking the door behind me, I make my way to the cafe. As I'm walking down the sidewalk, my mind continues to drift, wondering what it'll be like to actually talk to Daehyun in person. I remember his voice being a bit deep, so does that mean it got deeper or is it still the same? Whichever it is, I just remember being captivated by his voice.

  The sun is beating down on me, but luckily there's shade once in a while or else I will be dripping with sweat. I try my best to slow down and pause a bit on the shade to cool down before continuing my trek. I even raise my arms to check if I had any armpit stains and good thing I didn't. However, I think a few people did see me doing that which is really embarrassing. I think it's best to just leave my arms down for now.

  After the long  walk, I finally reach the cafe and pause at the door with wide eyes. Jung Daehyun is sitting at a table with a cup of coffee in his hand as he gazes dreamily at the little frames on the wall.

 What is he doing here? I look at the time. It's only 11:30! Why is he here so early? I search for an escape, but just as I find one, I take one last glance at Daehyun and find him staring straight at me. I tense up and give him a short wave and smile. Shoot. I definitely am sweating at my armpits and I can feel sweat forming on my forehead. C'mon A/C, you gotta blow harder!

  Daehyun gives me a huge smile that's brought up to his eyes and gives me a big wave.

  Crap. Crap. Crap. What now? I'm sweating like a river here from the heat and from nerves. All I needed was to go to the restroom and my plan would've worked! Stiffly, I walk up to him and greet. "Hey!" Crap. I think my voice squeaked a bit.

  He doesn't seem to notice as he keeps his smile. "So you're Youngjae."

  I nod. Oh gosh. I'm actually talking to him right now. "And you're Daehyun."

  He laughs which gives me goose bumps. "Yeah. The one and only! Well, not really, but you know what I mean. Sit down." He gestures at me and moves his hands towards the chair where I sit. "I already ordered something because I didn't eat breakfast, so once you're ready, go ahead and go to the counter to order. I'll still be here. Don't worry."

 I know he was referring to the conversation we had about me worrying he would be late, but I try my best to act normal. I didn't say anything and line up. Seriously, it's hard to believe that I'm speaking to Jung Daehyun right now, and not only that, but we're going to be hanging out for nearly the whole day. Everything I came up with doing leaves me, and I don't remember where I want to take him.

  Fixing my blazer, I glance at Daehyun. Once again, he stares off at the frames while holding his coffee cup in between his hands and rubbing the porcelain.

  I decide to order a mocha and nothing else since I'm still not hungry.

  "We will deliver it to you. Thank you!" The cashier says.

  I walk off and sit back in front of Daehyun. His eyes seem to sparkle when I return and this is the first time I actually see him. He's finally close enough for me to touch him, but of course I won't do that. Anyways, seeing him this close makes me admire him even more. His deep brown eyes bore into mine as his thick lips are always curled into a smile. His slightly tan skin seems to glisten in the lighting and his tousled hair gives him a little y look. Ah, what am I saying?

  "So, now that we have finally met, I have a very important question for you," Daehyun says as he never breaks eye contact.

  Being the stubborn yet shy person I am, I try so hard to keep the eye contact, but I end up shifting my eyes from his eyes to the side and to his eyes again. "And, what question is that?" I ask nervously. We're going straight into 20 questions, are we?

  "Glasses or contacts?"

  "What?"

  "You heard what I said. Glasses or contacts? Which do you prefer?"

  I'm so confused about this question because it's just so random. I didn't really think so much about it anyways because I don't wear either of them. "Uhm. Glasses?"

  He gives me a look.

  "What?"

  "Hm... I prefer contacts. Now, why do you say glasses?"

  Seriously, I have not thought about it, but I'm just going to go off based on what Jongin told me when he wears his glasses vs. his contacts. "Well, I think glasses are easier to handle because you can take them off whenever you want. Contacts, on the other hand, it's easier to take them off when you have a mirror in front of you, and let us not forget about solution. You gotta carry that everywhere you go just in case you need to take them off or they start drying off."

  "You have a point, but at least with contacts, you don't have to worry about getting glasses tan. And what if someone hits you in the face! Not only will you get hurt by that, but also by the glasses if it makes direct contact with it. Also, it's pretty easy to take off your contacts especially once you've had them for a long time."

  "Yeah but it's so weird seeing people poking their eyes just to put it on and take it off." I shiver at the thought. "And I hear they bother your eyes sometimes." Why are we discussing about this? I thought he said he had a serious question! This is just ridiculous.

  "Ah, so you haven't had contacts before, so your argument is invalid."

  "What! I'm basically saying what I think based on what my friend tells me."

  Again, he laughs while holding his stomach. "You're funny. You get so defensive, but okay, I'll accept your argument for now."

  I pout my lips. I mean, do a lot of people argue about this in general? I rarely hear conversations like these. Before I can say more, but drink comes in, steaming hot. The steam reaches my nose and I feel the warmth of the mocha. The smell soothes me and I take in a deep breath.

  "Alright. Next question."

  I take a sip. "What's next?"

  He taps his thick lips. "What made you swipe right for me?"

  The question nearly makes me spill my mocha as I'm caught off guard. Do I really need to answer this? I place my coffee on the table, fold my hands together, and look at him in the eyes. Okay, I only look at them for a moment before looking away and stumble for words, "Well. Uh. I-" Crap. I can't say that I remember him from high school and had a crush on him a long time ago and decided to swipe right because of that. "I thought you were cute." Ah, what am I saying? I can't believe I just said that! Can we just turn back time right now? I definitely have a better answer than that!

  Daehyun's eyes widen and he doesn't say a word.

  Ugh. What have I done?

  But then he grins. "I thought you were, too."

  My heart skips a beat and I can barely breath. Did I just hear what I thought I heard? I grab my mocha and take another sip, forgetting it's a little hot and burn my tongue. "Ouch," I mutter and turn back to him. My cheeks flare as he's still gazing at me with his deep brown eyes. Ah! Stop staring at me like that! It's making me nervous. "Anyways, how long are you staying here?"

  He leans back and for the first time, he doesn't look at me. "Until Monday which because this road trip's been really nice so far and once I'm home, I'm back to being in the office."

  I feel sad by his statement. Him leaving also means I won't be able to see him after this unless we have another planned meeting. "Wow. Your road trip is over already? I hope you enjoyed the trip."

  "Oh yeah, I definitely had fun and the places you told me were pretty cool. My friends liked it, too." He pauses and finishes his coffee. "So, where should we go first after you finish your drink? I'm pretty sure there's lots more we can go to."

  "You're right." I rub my cup with him thumb as I think of places to go. Okay, maybe there isn't much to do. "We could go see a movie." A movie? Really? We're not on a date! Ugh, what is my mind thinking? Oh, that's right, it's not thinking straight at all! But then again, the other alternative is to go to the mall and shop around or go to the park again. However, I don't want to stay outside because I don't want to sweat in front of him.

  Daehyun doesn't hesitate to answer, "Sure! I was thinking about watching ______." (Sorry. Just choose a movie to your liking.)

  My mood lightens. "I wanted to watch that movie, too but my friend, Jongin, doesn't want to. He's not really a movie person, and actually, I think it's best he doesn't watch with me because he's a talker sometimes. In the middle of scenes, he would sometimes whisper to me asking about the logic of the character's actions or things like that. I mean, they're reasonable questions, but I don't want to hear it when I'm in the middle of watching the movie. There's a reason why they say no texting or talking during the movies." Crap. Now I'm rambling.

  "I agree. Luckily, my friends like watching movies, so every time we go to one, we make sure we split the popcorn and fill up extra containers evenly that way we don't bother each other during the movie. We always try to talk about it afterwards, but most of the time it ends up with us saying how great or terrible the movie was." Daehyun chuckles. "I'm glad to find another person who shares the love for movies as I do."

  His bubbliness seems to be rubbing on me. I start laughing with him. "Yeah, same. It feels weird watching movies by yourself."

  "You watch movies by yourself?"

  "You make it sound like it's a taboo!"

  He shakes his head. "It's not, but that's just sad."

  "Hey! I'm not the only one!"

  "Yeah, but don't you think that's a little bit too lonely? Here, give me your phone." He holds out his hand towards me.

  "Huh?" I feel my phone in my pocket and clutch onto it. Why does he want my phone?

  "Just give it to me."

  I hand it over.

  Daehyun takes it in his hands and turns it back towards me to show my lock screen. "What's your password?"

  "I still don't understand what you're doing," I say while taking it from him to unlock my phone. Once it's unlocked, I give it back to him. At least I don't have anything to hide from him since he's the one I've met through the dating app, and that's the only thing I'm embarrassed about.

  He seems to be doing something on my phone before handing it back to me. Immediately, he says, "Now you have my number, so you can text me any time you want instead of using the app. Well, that is unless you're talking to other people on there, then I don't mind answering you through there."

  "Oh, I'm actually not talking to anyone else but you."

  He an eyebrow, and I regret what I just said. Good going, Youngjae. I bet you sound super pathetic right now.

  Then he says something I didn't expect, "Then that means I'm special, huh?"

  I blush. Is that really what it means? Well, it is true, but I didn't think he would be so blunt about it. "Well, I mean- Truthfully, I was going to delete the app if no one spoke to me, but then you ended up doing so, and well, I kept it. But that also made me not want to talk to other people because I fel

Please log in to read the full chapter