First Chat

Swipe Right
Please log in to read the full chapter

  I continue to stare at my screen and the faces that flashes before my eyes. There are potential matches, but the more I look at their photo and their decriptions, I can't help but swipe left for most of them. I did manage to swipe right on one guy, and we matched. However, when I tried sending him a message, he didn't reply back. It's only been ten minutes, but those ten minutes give me anxiety. What did I put, you may ask? Well, I posed a question like, "Would you rather live without listening to your favorite music or would you rather live without eating your favorite food? Yeah, I know it's lame, but I don't know what to say!

  As I reach my aparment, I head straight to my room and plop on my bed with my phone up in the air. I'll just take a short break before studying. After all, my exam isn't until next week. I check my profile and still can't think of anything interesting to put on my About Me. "Great, I bet people find me lame, that's why I only match with people who won't even talk to me," I mutter to myself, and then I hit my forehead with my phone as I realize how ridiculous I sound. I've only been on here for fifteen minutes, what do I expect?

  "Time to check who's near me."

  The loading screen pops up, saying that it's searching for people and the first thing I see is:

  I don't know if I should laugh or cry because I can't tell if he's being serious or not. This is the first time I have seen such an interesting About Me, and just can't help but to pass. Like I said, I'm looking for a serious relationship, not hookups. "Ugh, some people are weird," I mutter to myself as I swipe left. Let's hope the next contestant is at least sensible.

  Well, at least he's honest. Again, I have to pass. I don't even think he's been on this app for a while, so why does he even have this account? Maybe he just forgot to delete it? I proceed with my search and can't help but to swipe left most of the time, but when I do swipe right, I rarely get the match notification. Is there anyone out there for me?

  He's cute, but he's too young for me. I want someone my age or older. I need a man...

  I pause and stare at his profile for a long time. He looks a bit scary, but it looks like he's actually searching for someone. Flipping through his photos, he doesn't seem like a bad guy and it looks like he even has a twin. That must be interesting. I wonder if people accidentally mistaken one for the other. I can just give him a try by swiping right. It's not ilke I'm guarantee a match since he still has to swipe right for me. I quickly swipe and to my dismay, I didn't get a "It's a Match!" pop on my screen. Is there anyone out there for me?

  I throw my phone on my bed and just lay there. This really isn't my thing. I'm not the type of person to go on dating apps to chat to people I don't even know. Not only that, but most of them seem like trolls, and who knows what other people's profiles are like. They must be more interesting than mine. Yeah, I should definitely delete it.

  I grab my phone and open the app again. "Alright, time to delete this shizz." As I'm opening my settings, something in the back of my mind starts to nag at me, telling me I should give it one more try. This time I make a deal with myself. If I truly do not find someone to talk to or if I don't feel comfortable with it by midnight, then I will be deleting the app and pretend that I didn't even touch it. Yeah, that'll definitely work.

  Continuing my swipe left and swipe right techniques, I'm more picky than ever. Just the thought of that time limit makes me want to find someone who will be right for me. I want someone who will talk to me and no one else, but that's just wishful thinking because I'm on a freaking dating app where you can practically speak to anyone and everyone that you matched with. And I bet there are people who just swipe right constantly and chat for a day and stop all of a sudden.

  I did swipe right to a few people and about three of them matched with me. The only problem is, I don't know how to start a conversation. It's too boring to start off with a simple, "Hello!" My About Me is boring and lame enough; I don't need my conversations to be boring either. "Ugh. I really should be studying now." But I'm too addicted. I never realize how many guys there are that are interested in men just like me. It amazes me, actually!

  Suddenly, I stop at someone I have seen before and my eyes widen. I sit up from my bed and put my phone close to my face to make sure I'm not making up things, and sure enough, it is him. "No way. What is he doing here?"

  I never suspected Jung Daehyun to be on this app. He's popular with the ladies and men. He's bubbly. He's kind. He's smart. He's talented. He's practically everything a person wants, and here he is, on a dating app. "This can't be real. I bet he's only trolling people or something." Then again, he doesn't seem the type to do so. Oh, I also forgot to mention, I've admired this guy from afar for so many years, yet he doesn't know who I am. Why? Well, we attended the same high school, but I hung out with a different group of friends who liked watching anime, reading mangas, playing card games, and whatnot while he was in the Physics Club, Choir, and things like that. The only reason I knew him is because he's popular, but once college hit, I never saw him again. I wonder why he's so near me. I attend graduate school in the same university I attended for undergrad, so why is he here?

  My heart begins to beat quickly in my chest and loudly in my ear. Just seeing his face again makes my stomach churn from nerves. He doesn't know me, so I guess it's fine if we end up matching. At least, I look different from high school, so hopefully he doesn't recognize me and won't bring up my embarrassing past of braces and lots of pimples, and I'll try my best not to say anything about him. Creeping him out would be the worse.

  Wait, wait, wait. What am I thinking? We haven't even matched yet.

  I press my finger on the screen and just keep it there. His picture fades a bit as it registers my attempt to swipe either left, right, or up for super like. "There's no way I'm going to do a super like for anyone," I say to myself. I read his About Me and heave a sigh of relief. If we do match, I, at least, have something to chat about.

  Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath. It's just a simple swipe. That's all. Why am I so nervous just to swipe right? I swipe right and wait a moment. The suspense is real, but the worse that could happen is him not matching with me. I open one eye to take a peek and my heart leaps. "What?"

  I freeze and just stare at my screen. Did I really just get matched with Jung Daehyun? What!? My eyes are immediately glued to the words, "Send a Message." Should I wait a bit? I d

Please log in to read the full chapter