Falling Slowly

Swipe Right
Please log in to read the full chapter

  I have the usual routine going on, and just knowing that I'm able to talk to Daehyun makes my day feel even better. Of course, this time, I pay more attention to my research and actually be less distracted by my phone to listen to Jongin since I get to meet Daehyun on Saturday. Now, I don't have to worry about him not communicating with me, and I don't have to worry about him ditching me because he's not that kind of person. Or at least, his past self isn't.

  "Alright. We're going to study tonight, right?" Jongin asks as we head back home after a long day of classes.

  I nod. "Yeah. Same time and place."

  "Cool." He pauses and we just walk there in silence for a moment before he says, "You seemed oddly happy yesterday and even today you can't stop smiling. Did something happen? Or maybe you watched a really good video." He chuckles at his own joke.

  I lightly punch him on the shoulder and give him a look. "Oh, shut up. I already told you I don't watch ! And yeah, something good did happen to me, but I'm not going to tell you since you keep teasing me about that."

  "What? It's only a joke! Oh c'mon, Youngjae. Don't be like that!"

  Sticking out my tongue, I begin to laugh. When I have close friends like him, that's when I'm not so awkward. I don't know. After I get so comfortable with someone, that's when I start showing my true self and forget about what the other will think of me. I just have that much trust in them that they won't judge me for who I really am. "You did tell me I don't have to tell you everything, so that's your fault. I'll just say I'm meeting someone." Oh, I also forgot to say that Jongin is one of the few who knows about my preferences.

  His eyes widen, and he gets in front of me to block my way. "Wait, who is it? Do I know this person? And how come I've never heard about this sooner? Oh, and why so suddenly? Why haven't you mentioned him before?"

  "You basically repeated the same question," I point out and walk around him. "And, no, it's no one you know, but someone I... knew... in high school. And no, you can't go with me when I meet him. That's just weird."

  "How is it weird? I'm your best friend here, and you can introduce me to him! How did you even get ahold of him?"

  That's when I start choking up. I'm still not comfortable talking about the dating app, so I guess lying a tiny bit doesn't hurt. "I just found out I had his number and decided to text him. That's all. And no, it's not a date. It's more like we're just catching up, that's all." I really hope I'm convincing enough because I don't want him to press this further. Let's just say I do start to ramble when I get nervous.

  Jongin eyes me for a little before heaving a deep sigh. "Alright, whatever. I won't in with your business, but you will have to tell me all about it after you meet him. Where are you thinking of going?"

  I open my mouth to say our plan, but I shut it before saying in a sing-song voice, "Not going to tell you!"

  "Why not?"

  "Because you might end up stalking me!" I confess. Jongin really is the type to do so. One time I told him I would be going to the store to buy some groceries and such, and guess who was there? Jongin. And apparently he told me he needed to buy groceries as well when, in fact, I remember he clearly went the day before.

  He purses his lips. "Fair enough. Well, this is my stop. I'll see you tonight, and this time, we can't chat more than we study. We really need to finish one full chapter tonight, at least."

  "Yeah. Promise."

  "Bye!" He waves before turning a corner.

  As he disappears, I open the app. The last thing Daehyun sent me was this morning, and I didn't get a chance to look at it since I was so busy with the research and classes and Jongin being everywhere around me. I reread Daehyun's words.

  We're heading to the park today! Pretty excited!

  I smile as I feel some sort of pride since he's actually listening to my advice. I just hope that his friends are also enjoying it. I also wonder who his other two friends are since they're using the app as well. I've seen so many faces, I can't even tell who is actually from this city and who isn't. It's really unclear since it just says how far they are from me based on my location. And it seems like Daehyun is a bit far right now.

Don't get lost!  

  I leave it at that, knowing he will be busy with his friends, hiking. The moment I enter my house, I grab a snack and head up to my room where I sit on my desk and begin studying. There's no time to slack off now! And I need to keep myself distracted while I wait for Daehyun's reply. I really hope he doesn't wait too long to reply, but I can't guarantee him replying anytime soon. The hiking trail is pretty long and you don't always get signal.

  Turning the pages one by one, I begin reading and writing my notes until I feel like my hand starts cramping. In the middle of my studying, I start to feel bored and sleepy, so I play music as a background sound. It soothes me and makes me want to work more. A little white noise is always nice, but also with music, I get to discover the different kinds of genres out there.

  Song after song, I continue to read and write notes, making it as organized and color-coded as possible that way if I reread them, it won't seem so boring. With the colors, it makes it easier to distinguish what is important and what is not. As I'm on my last page of notes, a song that I haven't heard starts playing in the background.

(Falling Slowly)

  I grin widely and put my pen down to take a short break. Closing my eyes, I listen carefully to the lyrics and let it sink it. Although I haven't seen the movie to this song, I've always thought it was beautiful and cute because the lyrics. I always wonder if I could ever get a chance encounter like this, and just fall in love slowly.

  Suddenly, I remember my phone and check as the song plays.

  Ah! I'm so tired, but we're still walking!   My friend just keeps going without waiting for me and my other friend.   I don't know how he does it! Haha giving up already?     No!
Please log in to read the full chapter