Another Chat

Swipe Right
Please log in to read the full chapter

I wake up, and before I get ready for my research lab, I check my phone. Unsurprisingly, Daehyun hasn't messaged me yet because, well, it is five in the morning. I have my usual moring routine before walking to the university where I am greeted by my lab partner, Jongin. As the day goes on, I can't help but get distracted as I'm working on my lab. My mind just keeps thinking about Daehyun and wondering what and when he will be texting. I feel bad for Jongin because he's constantly trying to bring me back to reality, so let's just hope our research isn't completely messed up because of me.

  By the end of research, Jongin approaches me with a worried look on his face. "Is there something wrong, Youngaje? You don't seem like yourself today."

  "I'm fine," I reassure him as I hold my phone in my hand. All I want to do is check if Daehyun messaged me, but with Jongin right beside me, I'm afraid to even look at he notification. To stop him from worrying, I add, "I'm just a little nervous for my upcoming exam. That's all."

  He smiles. "I'm sure you'll do fine. You always do."

  I laugh nervously. Just leave already! He's one of my closest friends, but right now, I need my privacy before I have to go to my class for lecture.

  "Are you studying in the library tonight?" He asks as he follows me downstairs at the atrium.

  "Yeah, probably."

  "Then we can study together. They say that you retain information better if you 'teach' the material to someone else. Also, we can quiz each other to see if we really know our information. Will that work for you?"

  "Yeah. That works." I'm trying to keep this conversation short and simple, but he doesn't seem to get the hint. That is, until I check my phone and heave a sigh when I see no notification.

  "Seemd like you're busy. I'll just see you in class later." He makes his way out the building.

  A part of me feels guilty for treating him this way. After all, I didn't do so well during our research, and he would have to fix whatever I messed up on or explain why I shouldn't be doing what I did. I call out to him, "Hey, Jongin, sorry. I've just been distracted lately. I don't mean to sound rude to you or anything. It's-"

  "Hey, don't stress about it. I understand, and if you don't want to talk about it, that's fine, too. As long as it's not something that I did wrong, you don't have to tell me. We're friends."

  My chest feels lighter now that I let that out. "Okay. Thanks. I'll see you later tonight, then."

  "See you tonight." He leaves the building, probably to get breakfast.

  I stay in the atrium and pull out my laptop from my backpack and start studying some more. My phone is laying face down on the desk next to my laptop, and I can't help but glance at it every so often to see if Daehyun sent a message. This goes on for a while as there's nothing on my notification. When I do get a notification, it's usually about an email or someone I rarely talk to adding a new photo on FaceLook. I really don't understand why I'm getting notifications like those when I'm not even in the photo or involved in their life.

  For a long time, I begin studying seriously, forgetting about the phone for the meantime. When I realize it's almost time for my class, I check my phone. A huge smile is displayed across my face as I see Daehyun's name. I click on the message and read it.

  Good afternoon!   I was going to message earlier, but I woke up late.   We tried out the pub you suggested and you could say, we spent more than intended.

  I can't help but feel like a child, fanboying over their favorite idol. I try my best to contain myself since I'm still on campus, and I definitely don't want questioning glances if they see me bouncing up and down in their seat. Taking a deep breath, I try my best to not be to excited when answering. I get up from my seat and swing my backpack over my shoulders as I make my way towards my classroom. What should I say? Should I ask him what he ordered? Or maybe I can ask what they did. Or maybe, if he tried multiple drinks, I can ask what's his favorite.

It's alright. I've been busy this morning, anyways.    I assume you had a wild night then?  

  I slap my forehead. So, I'm basically assuming they got wasted. Good job, Youngjae. Good freaking job.

  Haha not really. Well, I didn't but the rest of the guys did.   One was hitting on girls and guys.   The other drank so much, he passed out on the toilet when we got back.    I ended up being the designated driver, so I only drank a little before needing to sober up. Sounds fun.  

  Geez, Youngjae. You and your two word replies. I've been waiting to talk to him this whole morning, and now that I am, all I can think of are one liners. Certainly, he will not be able to say anymore.

  I stare at my phone, waiting for his reply, but before I can even tell if he does, Jongin pops out of nowhere and throws his arms over my shoulder. "What's that?"

  I jump and place my phone to my chest while locking it so he wouldn't see. "It's nothing!" I exclaim with wide eyes. "It's nothing at all!"

  He gives me a look. "You really are acting weird today." His eyes shift to my phone. "I didn't see anything, I promise. Your brightness is so low, all I could see was a dark screen, so whatever you're hiding, only you know... Unless, it's ."

  I blush. "Of course not!" Part of me wants to tell him that I'm on a dating app and chatting with a guy I used to know, but then the other part of me is just too embarrassed to admit it. For now, I'll just keep this between myself. "It's really nothing like what you're thinking. I'm just texting a few of my friends," I lie.

  "Alright. Alright. Don't push yourself." Jongin laughs and tightens his grip to put me in a headlock. "Ready for a class? I better not see you watching inappropriate videos while our professor is lecturing."

  "Jongin!"

  He laughs more. "I'm just teasing you."

  I pout and say no more as

Please log in to read the full chapter