ELEVEN

The Butterfly Files
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyesun sat behind her desk with her face cradled on one hand. She gave a sigh before straightening up, and letting her body go limp.

She closed her eyes as she tried to even out her breathing.

There’s no denying it. She is stressed out and agitated.

“Knock knock.”

She opened her eyes to find Park Bom leaning against her door. “Hey, Bom.”

“You okay?” Her visitor asked.

“Just thinking about stuff..” Hyesun smiled as she gestured for Bom to take a seat. When Bom did not move, she raised an eyebrow in question.

“I.. uhm.. Do you have some time?”

“Sure. Come on in.” She invited again. This time, Bom moved towards her after closing the door.

“Is this friend time or doctor time?” Hyesun asked.

“A little bit of both, actually.” Bom admitted. Hyesun waited for her to speak again, knowing how the other doctor prefers to organize her thoughts before delving into serious stuff. “I have a friend..”

So they were going with the friend story. Hyesun mused.

“This friend has a friend who went through something horrible. Really horrible.” Bom continued. “My friend and her friend were just starting to get close when my friend discovered what her friend went through. She wants to help her friend but doesn’t know how.”

Hyesun nodded. “Well, since they were just starting to get close I think the best thing that your friend could do is offer support.”

“I know that.” Bom answered a little mulishly. “But I – I mean my friend doesn’t know..”

Hyesun finally smiled. “Just show her that even after knowing what she went through you don’t see her any different –“

“But I do!” Bom exclaimed dropping the pretense, much to Hyesun’s surprise. “Not in a bad way. I admire her so much. I can’t figure out how she found the strength to move on after everything she’s been through. She’s had such a hard life, Hyesun-ah.” Bom reached for the ever-present tissues on Hyesun’s desk and wiped away the tears on her face. “I want to hug her and protect her from the world but I don’t want to crowd her. Has she talked to you about it?”

“A lot of people have talked to me about a lot of things.” Hyesun hedged.

“Right. Doctor-patient confidentiality.” Bom huffed. “But you know what I’m talking about right? I’m just worried about her, Hyesun.”

“What I can tell you is that, because of that.. episode.. She’s even more determined to get better.” Hyesun shared.

“She won’t talk to me about it again.” Bom shared. “When I tried to bring it up at first she brushed me off, and then she was like huh, as if she had no idea what I was talking about.”

That decided it for Hyesun. Before Bom came in, she was thinking about Sandara’s case. After that horrible flashback, Sandara talked to Hyesun about it. She was a mess. They both were. As much as Hyesun tried to maintain a professional distance, she couldn’t help it. She cried with Sandara. She’s now wondering if it would be best to turn Sandara’s case over to another doctor since she’s too attached to Sandara already. She worries how there are moments when Sandara barely seems to remember Tamtamie.. Other moments where the horror was so tangible, she’d end up hyperventilating.

“Dr. Park, I have a patient I need your opinion on.” If Bom was surprised at the shift, she didn’t show it. “Earlier scans didn’t show any damage to her brain except for a surgery done when she was a child but my patient seems to have trouble holding on to her memories. Are there more comprehensive tests we can do to determine damage or maybe brain activity?”

“If you’re that worried, I can call in a consult with a specialist. You know I’m more of a general practitioner. We can call in a neurosurgeon..” Bom answered. “I can do that now.”

“No. Not yet.” Hyesun stopped her.

“But if it’s as serious as you fear, she needs help. The quicker, the better!”

“I need to discuss this with her first.” Hyesun explained. “I promised her that I will keep her updated on treatments or changes..”

Bom huffed again but agreed. “So just be there for her, huh?”

“Yeah. Just be the loveable Park Bom that you are.” Hyesun told her. “I can safely share with you that I know she appreciates your presence and your overtures of friendship. You said it yourself, she’s been through some horrible things, a lot I’m sure we still don’t know anything about. This understandably affects how she interacts with new people. For some reason, she’s taken to Big Bang. Maybe because they saved her from that place that’s why there’s this unexplainable bond between them. However, you were there when she remembered what has to be one of the worst days of her life. Possibly her worst memory right now. You were there and you held her and told her it would be okay. She hasn’t forgotten that and I highly doubt she would.”

“Really?” Bom’s expression brightened and here she thought all her efforts were futile.. “Alright then! I’m off. Thanks, Hyesun!”

And just as quickly as she came, Park Bom left Hyesun to her thoughts.

 

_______________________________

 

“Quickly, quickly!” Seungri urged Sandara and Youngbae as he ushered them towards the visitors. People who he refused to name, telling them it’s a surprise. Finally, he pushed them a little behind a pillar. “There!”

He pointed his finger towards a group of people in the center of the room. Sandara squinted as her eyes searched for the visitors who had Seungri jumping in excitement. They are in one of the training rooms which contained several wall climbing courses, their cross-fit gear and several other exercise equipment. Of course, this was only a small part of their huge gym complex but for some reason Chaerin and Jiyong were meeting the visitors here.

“See those girls, Sandara? Two of them are part of my favorite girl group.” Seungri informed her giddily. “The rest are actresses and models. They are going to film a movie and they want BBSI to train the actors.”

“Cool.” Youngbae said nonchalantly. They do get requests like this often and while he admits that the girls were all pretty, none of them were really his type.

“Ahh..” Seungri sighed. “Sandara, you see the one in red, that’s Hara. She’s my bias. She’s so pretty. I hope I get assigned to train them.”

“You’re injured.” Youngbae reminded him.

“For her, I’m willing to work through the pain.” Seungri sighed again, ecstatic at being able to look at his ideal girl.

Sandara, on the other hand, was hyperfocused on the other idol. The other extremely pretty and voluptuous idol. The one who keeps touching Jiyong. She narrowed her eyes when the idol leaned up to whisper something to Jiyong. When she saw Jiyong laugh, her hands unconsciously fisted. She saw Chaerin trying to lead the group away as she showed them the different areas in the room and gave a brief explanation on what they were for. She saw how that idol refused to move away from Jiyong, how she’d keep turning to Jiyong. And he’s letting her!

“I’m surprised Jiyong’s with them. He doesn’t usually do these things.” Youngbae commented, breaking Sandara from her haze.

“Me too!” Seungri agreed, nodding his head. “I heard they wanted Jiyong hyung specifically because they heard he’s the best.”

“Well he is the best.” Youngbae stated. “But other people have asked before..”

“Maybe he likes one of them.” Seungri giggled childishly.”Hyung, look at that actress! Isn’t she the one on that new show? The one we saw last night? The one you said is really cute!”

Youngbae leaned closer to Seungri to get a better look. The two men were so engrossed in spying on the group that they didn’t notice when Sandara moved away from them.

_______________________________

 

Sandara pouted as she walked away from Youngbae and Seungri. She was so excited when Seungri said they had visitors. Even more so when he said he’ll bring Sandara to the gym. She’s never been there before and was eager to explore. She’s been hearing all about BBSI’s operations but she never got the chance to actually see.

Then that stupid idol just had to touch Jiyong’s arm. Then Jiyong had the gall to smile at her! The nerve! She watched silently as they laughed together, acting as if they were in their own little world.

The last straw for her was when the group was moving forward, the idol grabbed Jiyong’s arm holding him back from joining the group. Then Seungri said Jiyong liked her!

She thought Seungri was her friend! How could he say such things?!

She promptly left Youngbae and Seungri, unable to watch whatever else will happen next.

She planned to go back to her room but remembered that she has no access. Jiyong said he would take her to get her to the Security office so she could be given access to the places she normally goes to. Jiyong doesn’t want her wandering around the non-secure areas for fear of her safety but he also doesn’t want her to feel like a prisoner.

You’ve been chained long enough, he told her with his smoldering eyes. When he said that, she felt like her insides were melting. In the best way possible! Stupid, beautiful, lying eyes!

Eyes she wants to poke out right this minute!

I guess he forgot about me. Her shoulders dropped at the thought.

She was about to give up and just go back to Youngbae and Seungri when she heard something inside one of the rooms.

Curious, she peeked inside and found another room with two boxing rings, several punching bags and lots of space on one side; on the other the floor was covered in mats. There were only a few people inside at the moment and her curiosity overwhelmed her shyness.

She made her way inside drawn by the people grappling on the mats. Unknown to her, the men already spotted her and were watching her closely. Most thought she was part of the group touring the place. They wondered if she was an idol or an actress. The rest were just content to watch her. With her floral dress and ballet flats, her innocent expression and her hair in shiny waves, she was a vision of femininity that most of them were happy to observe peacefully.

She watched the people on the mat, something about how they are moving triggering something inside her brain. It was as if she knew something about it but not exactly what.

Just then a noisy group entered the room, surprising her. Putting a hand to her chest, to calm her beating hard she watched them move towards the punching bags, laughing with other. She watched as they warmed up then started punching.

When one guy punched the bag hard, she flinched at the sound.

“Excuse me, miss?” She turned to see a guy approach her as he removed the boxing gloves he wore. “Are you with the group from the production company? Did you get lost?”

She turned wide eyes towards the new guy, intending to explain but the sound of a viciously loud punch jolted her.

“Hey. It’s alright.” The guy gently took hold of her arm and led her to the side, away from all the action going on in the center of the room. “My name is Song Mino. I think your group is checking out the pool areas. I can take you there. Miss?”

“Huh?” She barely heard his name, so distracted by the rhythmic thumping on the punching bags playing in symphony with the ones in her head.

“Do you want me to page them instead?” Mino asked. “You’re looking pale. Maybe you should sit down.”

“I.. uh..” She grabbed Mino’s arm as her other hand went to the side of her head.

“Miss? Miss?” Mino ushered her to the chair as he motioned one of the other guys to get him some water. He helped Sandara take a seat, then handed her the glass of water. He helped her take a sip. Only releasing her when she leaned back against the chair. “Are you okay?”

“Yes. Thank you.” Sandara answered weakly. “I think I’m just not used to the noise.”

“You should rest.” Mino suggested. “I can take you to the lounge, it’s cooler and more comfortable there and we can just have your companions go to you once they’re done with the tour.”

“No need. Thank you. I’m sorry for all the trouble.” Sandara quickly stood up, intending to make a run for it. She’s so embarrassed and worried about what Jiyong would say once he finds out she disturbed his men’s training. “I can – “

She took one step away but the pounding in her head intensified, she found herself falling..

Before she passed out, she heard Song Mino give out a surprised, “Holy !”

 

_______________________________

 

Kwon Jiyong is not amused. He is most definitely not amused and a certain Lee Chaerin will surely hear about it.

She summoned him to the gym under false pretenses, claiming a matter of utmost importance, the explanation so convoluted, he gave up trying to understand and decided go see what her problem was.

Only to find her hosting a group from a production company who wanted to use their services. A group composed mainly of the females and Chaerin’s very close model friend, who is also one of the cast.

CL gave a very false, “Sajangnim, what a surprise to find you here.” Before proceeding to introduce him to ever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter