ONE

The Butterfly Files
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 


Sandara sat huddled in a corner against the wall on top of her bed. She hummed a nameless tune as she rocked herself to drown out all the noise outside her room.

Normally, she wouldn't be subjected to outside noise, unless they think it would be beneficial. Today, someone must have made a mistake. Left one of the doors ajar or something. She looked at the window and only saw her reflection as usual.

She continued rocking and as the noises grew louder, she hummed louder. Her eyes kept flickering back and forth from the glass window to the door.

She tried to curl into herself more, wrapping her arms around her legs, anticipating and fearing whatever is coming next.

 

________________________________

 

"Boss, we found something in the farthest room in the eastern part of the building." 

"On my way." Kwon Jiyong, code name G-Dragon, signalled his men and walked away from the ongoing altercation with Lee Seungri following him automatically. Since they met, Seungri, aka Victory, has always stuck like a leech to Jiyong. Most days, he doesn't mind; other times he'd have to resort to bodily harm just to get the kid off his back. Thankfully for Seungri, this was one of the days he didn't mind.

The two of them stealthily entered the room Daesung aka D-lite told them about over their comm sets. It was like a police interrogation room, complete with one-way glass and there were a lot of fancy looking equipment in the outer area. There, they found Daesung and two of his other men looking through a glass window.

"What are we looking at?" Jiyong asked as he approached the trio.

"A girl.." It was a statement but the question was clear in Daesung's tone.

Jiyong studied the figure on the bed. She was clearly female. The girl had her arms around her legs and her head bowed on top of her knees. Her long wavy hair covering most of her. She seemed to be wearing a white dress, baring most of her legs but it wasn't her smooth expanse of bare leg that caught Jiyong's eye. It was the chain looped around the girl's right ankle with most of it's length pooling beside her feet before disappearing somewhere beneath the bed.

As if sensing their presence, the girl raised her face and stared straight at the window. Jiyong's breath caught in his throat as he saw the girl's face.

"A very pretty girl." Seungri corrected as he stared at the beauty in front of them.

"She's chained to the ing bed." Jiyong gritted the words out. The room was bare. It only contained the bed. And the girl. "Do we know who she is?"

Daesung responded in the negative. "We've been tinkering with the computers here but we haven't gotten anything useful so far. I've tried to bypass the firewalls but I haven't gotten very far yet. I got distracted when she started doing that." Daesung admitted, pointing to the girl rocking herself back and forth.

"Area contained." TOP's voice crackled in their headsets. "Taeyang and I will start heading the clean-up so our crew can come in and destroy this damned place."

"Do it." Jiyong responded to TOP. "I'll be there in a sec."

"Hyung, what do we do with her?" Seungri asked momentarily forgetting that they were on a mission.

Jiyong studied the girl again, something unfamiliar tugging at his heartstrings. "Leave her there?"

"Hyung!?" Seungri was scandalized. "We can't do that! She's just a girl."

"Fine. Take her with you then." He told Seungri. "Just make sure you keep an eye on her. Until we find out who she is and why she's here we can't just let her go. If she does something to undermine our security or our operations, I'll have your head, Victory."

Seungri gulped nervously but nodded. "I'll take care of her, hyung." He turned to Daesung and asked him about opening the door. Daesung pressed some buttons on the computer and the door slid open without a sound.

Immediately, the girl turned her attention towards the door. She tensed and seemed to brace herself while at the same time trying to back into the wall further. Only then did they notice the welts on her arms. "Jesus. What have they been doing to her?" Daesung asked, his voice filled with concern.

Seungri meanwhile handed his gun to one of the men beside Daesung. Of course he has others hidden on his body but the girl doesn't have to know that. He entered her room just as Jiyong made his way towards the door leading back to the hallway.

"You're new." The girl commented as soon as she saw Seungri. "Are you one of the good ones or the bad ones?"

Jiyong stopped his exit as soon as the girl spoke. Her voice was melodious and sweet. He turned back and watched as Seungri approached her cautiously.

"Err.. I don't really know how to answer that." Seungri replied honestly. "I am here to take off that chain."

"I know that, silly." She giggled. "Everyone takes off the chain first."

"Maybe she's crazy." One of the men commented but his teammate nudged him into silence upon seeing Jiyong's glare directed toward him.

"Okay, then." Seungri said as he approached the bed.

The girl watched him carefully and as soon as he got close enough, she extended her leg so that the chain on her foot was more accessible to Seungri. Seungri backed away in surprise at her sudden move. He looked at her leg, then studied her appearance more carefully. "Woah. I thought you were a kid. How old are you?"

"Dunno. One of the bad guys asked me that once.." she shrugged, leg still raised. "Someone said I was 'legal' already so 'it would be okay'. He laughed when I asked him what he meant. He never came back to see me after that." She pouted. "What does that mean?"

"Means you're older than eighteen." Seungri told her as he studied the chain around her ankle. The chain was thin but when he tried snapping it, it wouldn't budge.

"Did you forget your key?" The girl or rather woman asked him.

"Key? Uh.. Yeah." Seungri looked at the window signalling that he needed help. In the anteroom, Daesung and the two other guys started searching for a key as Kwon Jiyong watched the girl intently. "My.. uh.. friends are bringing it over." He gingerly sat down on the edge of the bed and the girl casually placed her foot on his lap. "Uh, aren't you scared?"

"I was earlier." She admitted in a small voice. "There was a lot of noise and that.. bothered me.. my head ached.. But when you came in, you don't seem like one of the bad ones. The bad ones.. they hurt me.." Her voice trailed off and her eyes took on that far-away look, then she seemed to shake it off. "But you're nice. You haven't hit me or tased me or injected me with something.. Also, I like your smile. You're very cute. Like a panda."

"They tase you? Why?" Seungri blushed at her innocent compliment but focused on her words. The girl shrugged. "What's your name? Do you know?"

She giggled once again. "Of course I know my name. My name's Sandara. Don't you know your name?"

"I'm Seungri. Nice to meet you, Sandara."

Sandara bounced her foot on Seungri's lap, indicating that she wanted the chain taken off. Seungri looked at the window again.

Suddenly Jiyong entered and grabbed Sandara's ankle startling both Sandara and Seungri. Sandara whimpered. "Hey. It's okay. This is my friend. GD hyung. He's helping, see?" He pointed to Jiyong who was studying the lock on Sandara's chain. After a few seconds he reached into his jacket pocket and found the small lock pick that he usually keeps on him for situations like this. He then used it to tinker with the lock.

"So he's also a good guy?" Sandara asked as she watched Jiyong work.

"He's the best." Seungri answered evasively.

"What does GD mean? Is that really your name?" Sandara asked as the chain fell loose and revealed the marks on her fair skin indicating that the chain was on her too tight or maybe too long. Jiyong ran his thumb over the marks, before standing up and making his way out the door. "Thank you, GD!" Sandara called out, making Jiyong once again stop in his tracks.

"Jiyong." He told her. "My name is Jiyong."

She smiled at him and nodded then turned to Seungri expectantly. "Alright then, let's get you out of here."

 

________________________________

Jiyong watched as his men cleared the facility. Seeing that TOP and Taeyang have finished, he gave the order to disperse. He stood beside his two friends and whispered, "This is so twisted. Makes you wonder if the good guys really are the good guys."

Taeyang, real name: Dong Youngbae, looked at his best friend and nodded, "No wonder the government wanted this facility shut down. They’re experimenting on dangerous substances that could potentially be used for biochemical warfare.  I only wonder why they let it get this bad before they sent us in."

"You know they only call us for special occasions." TOP aka Choi Seunghyun, smirked. "We're still not officially employed by the government, you know. They like being able to deny that they sanction most of our activities." He started to say something when a flash of white caught his eye. "What the hell is that kid up to now?"

Taeyang turned his head and his eyes widened upon seeing a beautiful girl holding on to Seungri. GD remained silent as he watched Sandara realize their presence. Her eyes widened and she whimpered before hiding behind Seungri.

Seungri was surprised when Sandara suddenly moved behind him. She was telling him about the good guys and the bad guys and he was trying to find out if she had family when she suddenly stopped speaking and started whimpering. He looked around and saw his hyungs gawking at them. Even with their comical expressions of surprise, TOP and Taeyang still looked intimidating.

He twisted his head so that he could speak to her, "Hey, hey. Don't be scared. Those are my hyungs. TOP and Taeyang. They're really nice too. See, GD hyung is with them."

As Seungri comforted Dara, Taeyang and TOP turned to GD. "She's scared of us?" Taeyang asked in surprise. "I mean, I understand why she would be afraid of TOP hyung, but me?"

GD snorted as Dara bent her head to the side to peek at them over Seungri's shoulder, her hair falling in graceful waves over her own shoulder. She looked adorable. Dammit, Jiyong thought. He watched as she seemed to make up her mind, grabbing Seungri's hand she made her way towards them, giving TOP and Taeyang a wide berth.

"Jiyong." she smiled at up him, her eyes wide with excitement. TOP and Taeyang exchanged glances when they heard the girl call their leader by his real name. They don't call each other by their real names when on a mission. "Seungri said I'm getting out of here, right Ri?" She smiled at the maknae who nodded with a big smile of his own. "But Jiyong, I'm not allowed to go out without my anklet."

"What anklet?" Seungri asked her. "The chain?"

Sandara giggled. "No, silly. The chain is for when I'm in my room. The anklet is for when I go outside." She told him as if explaining that the sky was blue.

"Oh, okay. Where is your anklet? I can ask Dae - D-lite to look for it." They watched her smile fade at Seungri's words. He rushed to reassure her. "Hey, hey, don't be sad. I'm not sure we'll find your anklet. What does it look like? Is it your favorite?"

"No. I don't like it." She shook her head and bit her lip. "It gives me a shock when I go too far away."

"What?" Jiyong asked his voice vibrating with anger.

"You know. Kinda like when they tase me? I don't like it but they lock me up or hit me if I go out without it." she confided.

"Maybe we should leave the anklet behind then." Taeyang suggested. "We won't let them lock you up or tase you again."

Sandara turned to him with a happy clap. "You're not scary after all." she announced.

"I'm not scary too." TOP commented but his naturally deep voice had Sandara backing away from him.

"It's okay. That's just the way he speaks." Seungri told her. "Come on. We can talk more later, right hyungs?"

He started leading her away towards where they have hidden their cars when GD's voice stopped them. "Shoes?" Jiyong asked gesturing towards her bare feet.

Seungri scratched the back of his head with his free hand since Sandara was still holding the other one. "I couldn't find them, hyung. She says she doesn't know where they are."

Jiyong just nodded then picked Sandara up bridal style and started walking away, leaving his teammates gaping at him.

They could hear Sandara giggling as she asked Jiyong questions that their leader merely grunted in answer to but that didn't stop the girl from speaking and laughing.

"What the actual ?" TOP voiced the thought that was in their heads. Seungri just shrugged as he jogged to catch up with his hyung and his new friend. It was a pretty long trek back to their car and he didn't want his hyung to hog Sandara all the way.

"This is going to be interesting." Taeyang said as he clapped TOP on the shoulder and jogged to follow his comrades. TOP shook his head but started moving too.

 

________________________________

Once inside they got to the SUV they had hidden before making the trek to the secret facility, Jiyong placed Sandara in the back seat. He then started removing his gear and stashing it in the compartments specially made for that purpose - to hide their military-grade equipment from civilians.

Jiyong, Seunghyun, Youngbae, Daesung and Seungri are part of an elite group of highly trained military special forces. They were hand-selected when they enlisted and removed from the regular platoons to undergo a more intensive training. They were all selected because they tested extremely well on subjects that the government finds useful.

Seunghyun is a top-notch sniper and is fluent in over twenty languages and can easily pick-up new ones, Youngbae excelled in tactics and close quarters combat, Daesung in intelligence or hacking if you want to get more candid, Seungri for all his childishness is a genius when it comes to chemistry and he had a fascination with explosives, so the government decided they better get him on their side before he gets corrupted by terrorists. Thankfully, Seungri hero-worships Jiyong and would follow him to the ends of the earth. Kwon Jiyong is their team's all around guy. He's an excellent sniper, can also pick up languages quickly, but not as quickly or as fluently as Seunghyun, has passable hacking skills, can detonate bombs and is an expert tactician. Although he hates close quarters combats. He says if he wanted to get hot and sweaty, he certainly wouldn't do it with a guy.

He has just finished his transformation from deadly military operative to casual guy out with friends when the rest of his team caught up to them. He scoffed at them. "What took you so long? I was carrying another person and it still took you almost a minute to catch up with me?"

"Sandara?" Daesung asked. He didn't have any idea about Jiyong carrying Sandara since he helped the other men in transporting the hard drives they confiscated from the facility. "Why?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter