• iii •

I'll Protect You

 


It was late midnight, while taking the secret route.. Haknyeon, and Euiwoong went to Justin’s abandoned mansion. It was really a bad decision since it was raining really hard and they were drenched as they entered the mansion.


“Damn it, Euiwoong. You owe me a pudding for this,okay?” Haknyeon said as he tried to dry himself.

Euiwoong nodded as he looked around, “Let’s go already,hyung.”

“Yeah, off we go to see your lover boy,” Haknyeon as they were walking down the stairs.

“As if he’s my lover boy,” Euiwoong retorted and Haknyeon laughed, “Unrequited love .”

“Indeed. Been there, done that!” Haknyeon stated as he was preparing the tools that they’ll be needing.

 

 

 

Haknyeon gasped as he saw Hyungseob’s state. If the boy wasn't infected, he would be thinking that Hyungseob was just sulking at a corner.

 

 

 


“Your boy’s too adorable even when he’s infected,” Haknyeon stated as he whistled.

“W-Woong..” Both of them were surprised when Hyungseob called Euiwoong’s nickname, the boy was already in front of the cell room and trying to reach them out, “Help.. it h-hurts.. food.. help me..”

“Seobbie, please wait.” Euiwoong was about to take an arm of the corpse he just killed a while but Haknyeon stopped him which made the latter tilt his head, “Hyung, what are you doing?”

“Don’t feed him with those anymore. You know what, they can be fed by human food too. But it won’t make them full,” Haknyeon informed him as he took a loaf of bread before handling it to Hyungseob, “Hey there, want to have a bite?”

“G-Go.. ” They were surprised when Hyungseob backed away from Haknyeon, it’s eyes kept on widening, “Y-You.. not Woong.. you’re not nice..”

“Hey, I won’t hurt you.” Haknyeon stated as he smiled but Hyungseob just wailed.

“Woong, he’s scary.. help me!” Hyungseob cried that made the researchers gasped.

Haknyeon looked at Euiwoong, “Uh, dude. What have you done?”

“Nothing. I just came to visit him whenever I can escape or something. But seriously, I haven’t done anything to him.” Euiwoong explained as he went near the bars, “Hey, Seobbie. Don’t worry, I’m here. He’s just here to help us.”

“Help?” Hyungseob stopped crying but he kept on sniffling as he look at Haknyeon then went back to Euiwoong, “W-Woong.. hungry.. help meeee...”

“I haven’t got your usual meal but I hope that you can be satisfied with this meal for now, I’ll bring some more once that we’re on our destination.” Euiwoong said in a calm way before handling Hyungseob the bread that Haknyeon gave him.

 

 

 

Hyungseob looked at the bread before looking at Euiwoong that kept on smiling, despite seeing the boy smiling. Hyungseob felt like he was stabbed in his chest as he took the bread. Euiwoong looked sad.. his eyes were sad. That’s what he’s thinking as he started to chew a small piece of the bread.

 

 


“Tasty..” He whispered before starting to bite a big part on it and finishing it as soon as possible.

“Did you liked it?” He looked at Euiwoong which kept on looking at him and he nodded, “That’s great. Now, Seobbie. We’re going somewhere but you need to behave. No biting, or hurting me, and Haknyeon. Understood?”

“Where.. are we going?” He asked as he tilted his head, “Are there many tasty food? I’m still hungry..”

Euiwoong nodded which made him gasp, “So before that, let’s get you out of there.”

 

 

 

 

Euiwoong looked at the key which was at the wall next to the cell room and opened it. He went beside Hyungseob and held his cheeks, it’s cold as ice and Euiwoong felt like he wanted to cry but just kept on smiling.

 

 


“Why are you crying?” His eyes widened as Hyungseob spoke, “Am I making you sad?”

“Crying? Me?” He touched his cheek and felt something wet so he wiped them immediately as he tried to laugh, “Silly me, why am I even crying? No, Hyungseob. You’re not making me feel sad, I love you. I love you so much.”

“Love?” Hyungseob tilted his head and blinked, “What is love? Do people need to love? I don’t remember anything about love.”

“Love.. is quite complicated,Seob. Don’t worry, I’ll teach you every single thing that you need to learn,” Euiwoong stated before looking at Haknyeon which finished removing the cuffs on Hyungseob’s wrists, and ankles.

“Here, all done. Geez, looking at both of you made me remember Kenta hyung. Damn it,” Haknyeon sighed as he gave Euiwoong some clothes, “Infected ones might forget most of their memories but they can still understand human speech, and they can communicate with us. It’s the memories that they have with other people that’s being forgotten, as if it was a virus that was supposed to make other people forget and forget that they’re human at all. It’s like their whole body changed but not really..”

“Hyung, thank you so much.” Euiwoong said as he looked at Hyungseob as he pointed as his clothes, “Hey, do you want m to change your clothes?”

“I.. don’t know but.. something’s weird.. like I should not let you do that.” Hyungseob looked away from Euiwoong as he pouted, “Uncomfortable.. it’s uncomfortable..”

“Oh.” Euiwoong said as he looked at Haknyeon which was preventing himself from laughing, “I see. Well then, it’s up to you.”

“I feel sticky..” Hyungseob murmured.

Euiwoong looked at Haknyeon, “Hyung, the water from the bathroom upstairs is still working. Maybe we could just clean him a bit?”

“C-Clean? I can do it myself.. no.. no.. no!” Hyungseob shook his head furiously that Euiwoong wa worried because his head might fall off.

“Okay. Okay. Just stop shaking your head,” Euiwoong stated as he helped Hyungseob on standing up, “Let’s go, Seobbie.”

 

 

 

 


Haknyeon, and Euiwoong helped Hyungseob until the boy finally went inside the bathroom. Euiwoong looked at Haknyeon in a scary way which made Haknyeon raised an eyebrow.

 

 

 

“You didn’t tell me that you’ve found out some interesting stuff, greedy hyung.” Euiwoong spat as he rolled his eyes.

“Well, you didn’t asked.” Haknyeon retorted, “I just figured out that they can really act like normal humans but the problem is that their memories were quite fuzzy, they can’t understand different kind of emotions that well. And one more thing, if there’s something or someone that will trigger their former memories, don’t let them see it. They’ll go berserk and it’ll be hard to tame them.”

“But why?” Euiwoong asked as he looked at the ceiling, “I really thought that it is a zombie apocalypse where they'll eat people and there will be no cure for the infected ones.”

“Blame the movies and books for that, imagination can produce some weird ideas sometimes.” Haknyeon said as he chuckled, “But you know what? You’re quite lucky that Hyungseob can understand you a bit, I had a rough time with Kenta hyung. He kept on snarling, growling, and glaring at me for a month. It seems like Hyungseob is fighting really hard for his own sanity.”

“He might be a loser but he’s a tough person, he won’t break that easily.” Euiwoong said as he smiled.

 

 

 

 

Both of them gasped when they heard a loud thud, next was a yelp from Hyungseob that made Euiwoong run inside the bathroom. Haknyeon tried not to laugh as he looked away from Hyungseob while Euiwoong sighed, not knowing what to react on this awkward situation.

 

 

 


“H-Help.. Woong..” Hyungseob said as he tried to get out from the long sleeves that was all around him.

“This is quite awkward.” Euiwoong stated as he went to Hyungseob’s side and helped him wear his clothes.

Haknyeon whistles, “It’s a good thing that Hyungseob is already wearing his underwear and pants or else, Euiwoong could’ve had a nosebleed.”

“S-Shut up!” Euiwoong exclaimed as he glared at Haknyeon who laughed, “Hyung, seriously.. stop it.”

“Sorry not sorry, pal. But both of you were just too cute, and dumb. So after all of this, let’s get him on the facility.” Haknyeon said as he went out of the bathroom.

“You saved me..” Euiwoong looked at Hyungseob that was smiling.

Euiwoong smiled back as he patted Hyungseob’s shoulder, “Don’t talk like that, I just fixed your clothes. Now let me help you wear this hoodie. It’s raining really hard outside..”

“Outside?” Hyungseob asked as he looked at the window which made him scowl, “Thunder.. I’m scared of it..”

Euiwoong can’t help but shook his head, “You’re so helpless, Ahn Hyungseob.”

 

 

 


If it wasn’t for the visible black veins, white irises, and the pale skin.. Hyungseob would still look the same. Euiwoong felt like his heart is about to burst, like how can someone still be as good-looking even though he’s an infected person? Other people was ugly as hell yet this guy became more gorgeous for Euiwoong.

 

 


Euiwoong shook his thoughts off as he helped Hyungseob to get out of the bathroom and Haknyeon carried their things as the three went out of the Huang’s abandoned mansion. It’s still raining so hard that Euiwoong’s umbrella flew out of his grasp so they arrived at the facility and they’re so wet that Haknyeon shivered a lot.

 

 


“Damn it, it’s so ing cold.” Haknyeon stated then glared at Euiwoong, “Hey, don’t forget the pudding. Okay?”

“Yeah, yeah.” Euiwoong kept his attention at Hyungseob which was not affected by the cold weather but kept on shivering because of the thunder, “Hey, don’t worry. I’m here. Woong is here.”

“I’m scared..” Hyungseob whispered as he covered his ears.

“It’ll be better to take him on the room,” Haknyeon suggested which Euiwoong quickly agreed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Euiwoong!” As they were about to enter the elevator, they heard Woojin’s voice which made Euiwoong freeze and Hyungseob tilted his head in confusion as he kept on looking at Euiwoong.

“Oh .” Haknyeon could only facepalm as he looked at Park Woojin.

“I should get him out of the picture..” Euiwoong whispered as he took a scalpel from his lab coat before looking at Woojin.

“.” Haknyeon whispered as he pushed Hyungseob, and Euiwoong inside the elevator in all of the sudden, “Sorry, dude. I'll distract him. Don't you dare kill someone.. Euiwoong, everything is under control.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

He was about to get out of the elevator to get near at Woojin but he felt something cold on his left hand, he saw Hyungseob holding it while looking at him—as if he was confused. It’s the same look that he was giving Euiwoong whenever he’s mad.. that doe eyes staring at him. The elevator closed and Euiwoong just leaned at the nearest wall before laughing really loud.

 

 


“Woong...?” Hyungseob tilted his head again, he was really confused of what Euiwoong had been doing.

“You are definitely helpless,Ahn Hyungseob..” Euiwoong kept on laughing as he covered his eyes with his right arms, “Even in that state, you chose to protect him? Why?”

 

 

 


He doesn’t get why Euiwoong kept on laughing but he felt the urge to wrap his arms on the boy which caught him off guard. Hyungseob hugged him as if it was the right decision, it’s like his body acted on its own. He doesn’t want to see Euiwoong in that state, despite being wet by the rain—there are tears streaming from his eyes. And it’s because of him.

 

 

 


“Please don’t be mad. I’m sorry.. I made you cry,right?” Hyungseob said in a calm tone as if it was comforting the latter.

Euiwoong sobbed as he stopped laughing, “You’re really helpless. Dummy..”

“Are you.. alright now?” Hyungseob asked and Euiwoong saw him smiled so he nodded, “I’m sorry.. please stop crying.”

Euiwoong wiped his tears, “Okay, you helpless dummy.”

 

 

 

Euiwoong can’t resist Hyungseob, and it seems like Hyungseob can understand that. Despite the heavy rain, and thunderstorms.. Euiwoong can only pay attention to the boy in front of him which made him do things that he never did. Which made him feel happiness despite the despair he’s experiencing.

 

 


-----

 


“Why didn’t you fought back?” Euiwoong tried to ask in a calm tone as he looked at Hyungseob.

 


The boy was covered with purple bruises all over his body, his hair was messy along with his uniform. It seems like the boy coughed out blood because there were dried blood at his chin, Euiwoong can’t keep calm. Despite the injuries, the older still looked gorgeous but he was infuriated.. how can they do that to Hyungseob?!

 


“Who did this?” Euiwoong asked again.

Hyungseob stared at the ground, “I can’t say. Woongie will be mad.”

“I am already mad!” Euiwoong screamed as he slammed his hands on the table.

Hyungseob flinched, “I’m so sorry, Woongie. It’s my fault, I’m so pathetic.. and weird. I’m so clumsy, I can’t even do a single thing right. Maybe they’re right.. maybe I shouldn’t even exist.”

“No!” Euiwoong screamed once again as he held both of Hyungseob’s shoulders, “That’s not true, Hyungseob. Those ers are the ones who shouldn’t exist! They’re just a bunch of bastards who can’t do anything aside from breaking other people! Don’t you dare ing listen to them,hyung!”

“Please don't curse..” Hyungseob bit his lip as he tried not to cry in front of his dongsaeng, “I'm really fine, don’t worry.”

 

 

 


Euiwoong stared at Hyungseob before laughing really loud, it kept on echoing throughout the student council office. He leaned in the wall before covering his eyes by both of his shoulders as he started to sob which caught Hyungseob off guard.

 

“Euiwoong..” Hyungseob can’t help but feel guilty, it’s the first time that he saw Euiwoong cry.

“You’re so helpless,hyung..” Euiwoong muttered.

“I know.” Hyungseob agreed.

“You’re so helpless..” Euiwoong repeated as he kept on crying.

“I'm sorry,Euiwoong. Please stop crying.. I don’t want to see you crying. Don’t worry about me, I’m still fine.” Hyungseob had re-assured him.

“Dummy. How many times have I seen you in that state?What if everything will be worse?” Euiwoong retorted.

 

 

 


Euiwoong can’t help but continue crying so Hyungseob hugged him tight. His eyes had widened as he looked at his hyung which was just hugging him, in all of the sudden—he cried again. He cried, and cried until he’s tired. 

 


He doesn’t understand, why would people hurt Hyungseob? He’s too precious for all of them, he haven't done a bad thing to them yet they’re hurting him. Aren't they even aware of what might happen to them once Euiwoong finds them? 

 

 

Because for Lee Euiwoong, his life would be worthless if Ahn Hyungseob would not be in it.