never

Uncover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Of course Jihoon was teasing, there was no way that a complete amateur like me could be Kim Yuna or even close.

But there was something about Jihoon I realised. He was a smooth talker and had a way with words, yes, but in a way that inspired confidence even in something I had no faith in. He was unyieldingly patient, going a snail-like pace despite being comfortable with skating already and never once showed frustration or impatience at me scuffling along like a polar bear on ice. 

And while I couldn't say I liked it exactly, he always had his hand on my arm to make sure I didn't fall. At least he's not taking the chance to get close to me; unexpectedly a gentleman.

Looking around me, I saw Somi and Minhyun, Doyeon and Jonghyun chatting while skating skilfully like graceful figure skaters. Chunghwa and Sejeong were in the running for Academy awards with their exceptional acting skills- Sejeong even fell down and scraped her knee and Daniel had carried her outside bridesmaid-style to tend to her wound. Seungwoo kept laughing at Chunghwa, but still guided her along by holding her hands. I hid a smile and continued focusing on getting my pace steady.

"It's okay, relax."

I looked up to see Jihoon gazing at me kindly.

"If you're too tense, you'll lock your knees and put more weight on the skates. Keep your knees soft and relax, then it'll be easier."

I nodded, trying his instructions out but after a few rounds of trailing after him, I felt myself nearly stumble.

"You're still not relaxing. Could it be that you're nervous because of me?" Jihoon leaned nearer to me- to the point that our faces nearly touched. Startled, I jolted, slipped backwards and skidded at high speed in the backwards direction.

"Ah!" I could barely have a chance to react or break my fall, I just closed my eyes tight in fear but the fall never came- I felt two sturdy arms encircle me before I toppled over to the ground. I opened my eyes, half-afraid of what I was going to see.

"Oh my god, Haerin, are you okay!?" Somi screamed, skating over to me. Chunghwa had skated over too and Seungwoo trailed behind after her, looking both shocked at her progress and worried for me.

"Haerin! Minhyun-" Jonghyun and Doyeon had skated over, staring at me then behind me. I suddenly realised that my back wasn't touching the icy cold ground. I turned my head slightly around to see a familiar face with sharp, angular features. "Minhyun-ssi?" My eyes widened in horror and I tried to get up, but a searing pain shot through my ankle.

"Slowly, yah!" Somi bent down and she, Doyeon and Chunghwa helped me up, while Jonghyun and Seungwoo hurriedly scooted over to Minhyun, who was lying unconscious on the floor.

"W-what happened?" Sejeong and Daniel were calling out from the side of the rink, looking extremely shocked and anxious.

I opened my mouth to apologise, but suddenly a figure stepped in front of me. "I-it's my fault, Haerin and Minhyun are injured." Jihoon called out in reply and without a word, he bent over with his back facing me.

"Jihoon-" I stammered.

"I know you don't want me to be close to you right now, but we need to tend to your ankle right now. Just get on, okay?"

"Yah, just get on." Chunghwa patted my back. "You fell very hard."

"But Minhyun-" I turned to Minhyun, who was being carried up by both Seungwoo and Jonghyun.

"Let's just get both of you to seek medical attention, okay?" Somi nudged me and reluctanly with one last look at Minhyun, I got onto Jihoon's back, who silently stood up and skated towards the exit of the rink.

"Haerin, I'm sorry."

I continued looking down at my lap. I felt tears prickle at my eyes as I thought about the unconscious Minhyun. 

 They had called the ambulance and I had wanted to go, but only two people could accompany and definitely not another injured party. Somi and Jonghyun had went on, while the others had taken the cab to the hospital. They had insisted I could only go after the swelling of my ankle had subsided and Jihoon had decided to stay with me, to my chagrin.

"Haerin." Jihoon's voice seemed to be coming nearer. "You can ignore me, but can you please elevate your ankle... are you crying?" He sounded horrified. "I'm really so sorry, Haerin, please don't cry." His voice almost had a pleading tone to it and I wanted to look up and tell him that I wasn't angry at him and that my tears were for Minhyun, but I didn't want him to see that I was crying, so I shook my head.

"I-i'm okay." I mumbled under my breath. "I'm just scared... for Minhyun..."

"It's not your fault." Jihoon sighed exasperatedly. "I shouldn't have..." He ruffled his h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter