Chapter 2.7

My First and My Last

Musical auditions started after classes. The music teacher, Miss Caroline rounded all who were interested, the musicians, and that included me as the main violinist. She was a woman in her late forties, loved opera and would tap her foot everytime she was unsatisfied. 

The performance was for the end of the year, a mashup of Disney Fairtytales. The female lead was set, Rachel was going to be the female lead - now the only problem was the male lead. To Miss Caroline's despair, not one of the boys who auditioned met her criteria. "No, no and no..." she said after each try-out. 

"Psst," Rachel whispered to me. "You think this will work out? She looks pretty on edge now."

I shrugged, "If she doesn't fine her prince charming yet, it's gonna get cancelled."

"No wonder she's so nervous-"

Just then, a boy pushed open the doors of the school theatre. It was Jung Jaehyun, immediately murmuring erupted. What was he doing here? He should be in the field. Those were the words tossed around by the students. I looked at Rachel, she was just as confused as I was. 

"Mr Jung," Miss Caroline said, bemused. "It's a surprise that you have come to audition for the school musical."

He stared, "Um, actually Miss Caroline, I'm not here to audition for anything. I think someone pulled a prank on me, saying you wanted to see me-"

"Well since you're here, why not give it a try?" she asked, but her tone seemed final.

"Huh?" he said, bewildered. "I think you got it all wrong, miss - I don't sing-"

"We don't have all day, Mr Jung," she crossed her hands. "You can refuse to try, and you're not stepping out of my theatre until you sing."

He sighed, I could understand that. No one wanted to do something they knew they would at. Plus, he wouldn't know what to sing. He wasn't a singer or a musician. He was an athlete, and it had nothing to do with music. Reluctantly, he took the mic from its stand and he just stood there unsure of what to do. Miss Caroline arched her eyebrows, "Well, what song are you going to sing for us?"

He his lips, "I don't really know many songs, miss."

"But you must know Disney songs," she walked over the stereo and randomly clicked on the soundtrack, then she snapped her fingers at Rachel to get ready. "Aladdin perhaps?" and the song began playing.

Upon instinct, he began singing along to A Whole New World - and everyone was surprised by how good his voice sounded. It wasn't bad at all, not the tone deaf voice I expected to come from him. He sounded like a literal prince, an actual voice a musical actor would possess. Miss Caroline seemed to be taken off guard as well, and she stared.

Then Rachel sang her part, and both of them were harmonizing as if they had practiced this already. It was so seamless, they almost didn't need our orchestra to accompany them - it already sounded magical. I couldn't stop staring at him, he looked unreal while he sang.

When the song ended, there was a moment of silence for everyone to take it in. Miss Caroline was the first to react, with an impressed smile as she applauded the impromptu performance - it was almost as if she was lost to breath. "That...was beautiful, Mr Jung. I'm surprised you didn't audition sooner, you're perfect for the role!"

He had no idea what he had gotten into. "I think you have it all wrong, Miss - I'm not interested in musicals."

"Nonsense! You must be in the musical, you'll be the breakout star of the show. Your voice will be adored by everyone, don't let it go to waste." her tone seemed she was already set on her decision, hook or by crook. "Is this about your sports practice?"

"Well, I'm afraid my training time might clash with whatever practices the musical has."

"I'll talk to your coach personally, you don't have to worry." she clicked her tongue. "Finally, the male lead has been chosen. Now we can finally begin rehearsals, starting tomorrow!"

Everyone was out of the theatre, but I could see Jung Jaehyun being the last one to exit the hall. His backpack was slung on his back, his expression hard to read - but it was obvious he was not quite happy. People walked past him, strangers to him shaking his hand in congratulations - probably school band members he never bothered to interact with. 

I didn't know why I stayed back, but I approached him in the end. He raised an eyebrow at me, "May I help you?" he asked.

"Oh nothing, I just noticed you weren't quite thrilled about Miss Caroline's decision." I answered.

He snorted, "You tell me, this wasn't what I expected to get dragged into." he rolled his eyes. "Great, now a musical to waste my time."

"On the contrary," I refuted. "Like she said, you have a great voice - and you're perfect for the role."

"I'm not even that good at singing, I don't have a good voice."

"Yeah - you have a BEAUTIFUL voice. Practically a Disney Prince voice, and I meant it as a compliment." I was giving my absolute honest opinion about him, and he was surprised. "What I'm saying is, I must adore your voice as much as the next person so that means you have the potential and talent."

We stood in the corridor, and it was only at that time did I realize no one else was left but us. I swallowed nervously, I wanted to dismiss myself but I didn't know how to. So, I started with a light remark, "So...yeah, you should give this musical and your voice a chance - don't be too selfish and keep it all bottled in."

He looked bemused, and grinned crookedly, "I'm being selfish?"

"Or you only sing to your girlfriend, which I assume you have one."

"If I have one to begin with." he corrected. "Which I don't. Will you be at rehearsals?"

I nodded, "Yeah, every single day since I'm part of the orchestra."

"Good." and he walked past me. "Seeing you everyday makes the idea of performing in front of a crowd less horrible." 

I spun around, "Seeing me? W-why?" he was still walking away. "Jung Jaehyun, I want answers!"

Even from afar, I could see him smiling cheekily. "What can I say? I like looking at beautiful people."



*Doyoung's POV*

I came back after our little date, it was almost past midnight. Emma really had an appetite for someone with such a small frame, I loved her for that. I did hear there was a new housemate sharing the place, so I was not surprised by the unfamiliar pair of shoes on the rack. A pair of kicks.

When I entered the living room, the TV was still on - and I heard footsteps emerge from the kitchen. I spun around, and was slightly surprised. It was Jung Jaehyun, the guy I recalled meeting on campus the very same day. He was in his nightwear, sweatpants and a hoodie, in his hand held a mug of something I believed was hot chocolate. Contrary to me, he didn't look surprised but slightly disinterested. 

"Oh, it's you!" I greeted in a light tone. "We've meet before right? You're Lia's new band member, Jaehyun right?" and I extended my hand. He eyed it, and shook it lazily. I shouldn't be thrown off by his reply, so I reminded myself he was possibly exhausted from his flight and a trip to the campus without anytime to rest. 

"And you're Emma's boyfriend, huh?" the way he said it almost sounded like he felt strongly for that sentence. "Doyoung, I remember your name somewhere along the line."

"Y-yeah, that's me." and I thought of something quickly to fill the awkward silence. "The way you mention Emma sounds like you two have met before, have you?" I asked curiously.

He narrowed his eyes, "What if it's a yes? What would you do about it?" 

I blinked because of his sudden remark, "Huh?"

He switched straight to his laid back smile, "I'm kidding," and he laid his hand on my shoulder, then patted it. "Good night, Doyoung. See you tomorrow morning." and turned before walking back into his room. 

"G-good night, Jaehyun." I responded a little too late, because as he walked - as much as he looked relaxed, his relaxation looked stiff. 

It might have been my imagination, I thought.