Chapter 2.5

My First and My Last

"The movies? Sure," I said through the phone as I prepared breakfast. "We can rent it if you want, Lala Land or Night in The Museum? You choose, I'm okay with anything." I could hear Yunyi groaning across the living room as she ate her slice of sandwiches. "Of course I'd like to 'accompany' you to Lotte World this weekend, Doyoung," I laughed along with him on the other side. "Mm-hm, I get that we'll get half prices if we go together - as if that's your whole point. So it's the two of us then."

"Make that three!" Yunyi hollered.

"Cut it out!" I warned her jokingly before getting back to the call. "Don't bother, it was only Yunyi. See you at noon after class? Okay, bye." and I ended the call.

"You've been talking to him for two hours straight..." Yunyi muttered. "Do you guys really have that much to talk about?"

I stuck out my tongue, "It's called affection, Yunyi."

"Jesus, you guys are crazy in love," she rolled her eyes. "You weren't like this with Daehyun."

"Doyoung's different, he's not a douchebag," I reasoned. 

"How do you know that? You've only been together since the last month - it's too early to tell."

I took a bite from the bread, and hugged a plush pillow. The thing was, Doyoung was more than I expected him to be - we connected in a way that seemed wonderful. Sure, there were some things we disagreed on, for example he was slightly lactose intolerant and he liked Fast and Furious while I hated it. Our recent relationship worked and we didn't bother to question why. 

"Yunyi, have you ever had the feeling that this certain person you meet just clicks with you?" I asked, more at myself. "I mean, it all seemed like it was all planned out - right now, everything just seems perfect and if I could I don't want it to change."

Yunyi seemed lost, "I wouldn't know, I'm a potato and I'm apparently single as eff. But if you're happy then I'm happy for ya, girl. Hey, do you think Jude's predictions about you that day were true? If that's the case, Doyoung could potentially not be your true love-"

"That's just a ton of garbage, Yunyi," I reasoned. "I told you before, fortune telling is for the desperate. I don't need to believe it now that I'm perfectly happy in this narrative."

She shrugged, "Have it your way, Emma. Don't you have class today?"

I looked at the time, "Oh god, I'm running late!" and I dashed out our apartment.



He was the first person person I saw when I got out of classes. 

His bright smile greeted me as he waved for me to come over, with me dragging along my violin case. Like always I jogged towards him as he held out his hand, when he caught it I felt a sensation of relief. 

"Sorry I'm late, class ended later than expected." I apologized.

"Hmm," he looked at his watch. "You're late ten minutes, which means you'll have to stay for ten minutes longer today."

I laughed, "That wouldn't be a problem. So, where to now charming?"

"Well, I bought us lunch," he held up the take-outs he had ordered. "How about we find a quiet place to have lunch?"

I nodded, "That sounds great."

We found an empty spot near the recreational fountain, and we sat down and ate. It was just as how I expected it to be, us chatting about things we liked, occasional touching of hands and perfection. Then I took out my unfinished score of 'Brave Enough' after long persuassion by Doyoung, saying he had been dying to take a look at it ever since that day where we collided.

"Did you write this?" he asked when he read the lyrics.

"Yeah, it's cheesy isn't it?" I covered my face in embarassment. 

"Not at all, it's what your heart's telling you," he told me. "But, I'd really like to see you play it for real."

I blinked, "Right here? Right now?"

He nodded, "No one's here, I'm all ears."

After long consideration, I took out my violin and tuned it. Taking deep breaths, I started playing. It wasn't long since the piece wasn't finished yet, and so I played the main part where the dubstep would kick in. When it was done like a cliffhanger, I still didn't think it was finished and so felt like playing the latest song I had mastered a few days ago. A violin rendition of Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams. 

"You were a fan of Green Day?" he asked, amused. 

I shrugged, "I had an emo phase before." He didn't believe me. 



We walked hand in hand to the college gardens, where Lia and her bandmates normally sat. From afar I could hear someone already strumming the guitar, accompanied with a voice I had never heard of yet within the campus. That seemed odd.

"Emma!" Lia waved at me cheerfully. "Glad you came, I wanna introduce our new bandmate!"

In an instant, the color drained from my face. He wasn't any much different from me, and merely stared without uttering a word. The memories flooded back, a flurry of flashbacks of rain and tears and heart ache. No, please no, I thought meekly. 

"Jaehyun just got back from America, can you believe it?" Lia said, I found it hard to focus. "Finally, a native speaker besides you. And did I mention he has a great voice, like a prince out of a Disney movie."

Of course I would know, that was one the very first reasons I fell for him. 

When Doyoung noticed our silence, he picked it up quickly. "Er, you two have met before?" he asked curiously.

Jaehyun was the first to get over the shock, "W-we used to go to the same school," and he laughed nervously. "I didn't expect to meet any familiar faces here, guess I was wrong."

Lia whistled, "Now that's fate, I bet you two went to prom together! No offence, Doyoung." she winked. 

I was dreading it the whole time. "It's completely fine, as long as she's my girlfriend now." he answered with a genuine smile, and put his arm on my back like a gentleman. 

I gulped, "Uh, I really need to get back."

He frowned, "Is everything okay?"

"Must be something I ate, I did get a stomach flu this morning," and I edged away nervously, I prayed he didn't see my hands shaking. "I'm so sorry I gotta go."

"Do you need me to accompany you back?" Doyoung asked with concern. "You look pale."

I shook my head, "I'll be fine, I'll call you when I get home." and upon impulse, I pecked him on the cheek. Turning on my heel, I jogged away. 

Don't look back, don't look back, don't look at him. I feared that if I stared at him again, Jung Jaehyun would bring up that night all those years ago.



It was odd how I never noticed him in the hallway until the last week before summer.

Sunday, May the 15th, I walked out of our second last period - calculus with Mr Poe. The bore started when he told us to turn to page 238, and gave us hand-outs of guess what? Math modules to do over the summer. 

"You'll need all that math for your college admissions," he had said. "Don't say I didn't warn you."

Not when you're heading to music school, I had thought. My plan was simple, I knew I wanted to pursue music after graduation - options were either Berkeley or Easton, and all I needed for admission was an 'okay' result in my exams, with a determination for music. I was only counting down the days to burn all those papers and turn to scores. 

Blame me for not bringing along a stapler, so all I did was slip the stacks of papers into my file - all at the same time as I answered a call in a hall crowded with sophmores. "Yes, mom - I'll be back late today for practice. What do I want? Anything edible is fine- Hey!" I exclaimed when I dropped my file and the papers started scattering across the floor. I looked ahead, a boy I did not know had crashed into me - he didn't even bother to help out. 

I couldn't accept that. 

"Really?" I glared. "Not even one bit of decency?" and I rolled my eyes before proceeding to pick up the sheets of papers. It was already miserable to think the time wasted to pick it up, let alone classify them back to their page numbers and no one even cared to help-

"Ahem," the boy grunted as he passed me the papers he had picked up. He had his other hand in the pocket of his denim jacket, with a disinterested expression on his face - I hated myself for staring. Honest to god, he looked like someone out of a description in a book - every little detail on his face was intricate yet prominent. He looked like a Greek god. He raised eyebrows, "This is yours, right?"

"Er, yes," I hastily took it back. I had nowhere else to look or else it'd seem like I was uncomfortable, I cleared my throat, "I think I saw you head down the opposite direction a few seconds ago?"

He shrugged, "I changed my mind, wouldn't want anyone saying I had no decency," and he smirked, goddammit. "I was actually in a hurry so, yeah."

"Not an excuse to do a hit and run..." I muttered.

He looked bemused, "At least I turned around in the end, that's more than enough," still he could tell I was unsatisfied with his answer, so he sighed. "Okay, miss president, let me make it up for you then?" and he took out a business card from his wallet. 

I narrowed my eyes, "For any inquiries...are you serious?" I said incredulously. "You're giving me your business card?" but he was already walking away. 

He held up his hands in defence, "Like I said I'm in a hurry, but feel free to contact me through that number." and he continued walking down the hallway. 

I blinked in confusion, until my classmate Rachel caught up to me. "Hey, Em! What's gotten into you? You look like you've been struck by a ghost."

"I-it's nothing," I stiffed a laugh and shoved the card into my pocket. "Come on, we're running late." and we raced to the last class of the day. I still couldn't believe how it all happened so fast, and yet I couldn't forget his face - it was that serious. The way Jung Jaehyun acted the whole thing out was downright ridiculous.

So ridiculous I found it oddly entertaining.