Chapter 2.6

My First and My Last

This could not be happening, this could not be happening. 

I wasn't in my right mind all the way back to the apartment. Already in a daze, I couldn't process my thoughts - it was the worst. "Back so soon? I thought you were cuddling up with Doyoung." Yunyi noticed me closing the door, she was already in her onesie. "Emma? Emma!"

"Y-yeah?" I stuttered. "What did you say Yunyi?"

She frowned, "Nothing, you just seemed a little distracted, that's all. By the way, Doyoung called me a few minutes ago - he said you were feeling unwell, is it true? He said if you're not well enough, you can call off the date tomorrow."

"He called you?"

"Yeah, since you weren't picking up your phone. He was worried sick, I'll tell you that."

I took out my phone, "No way, how come I didn't notice-" indeed there were five missed calls since the past thirty minutes. Despite it all, Doyoung's effort managed to make me feel better even if it was only a slither. Just when everything was perfect, he had to show up...

"Thanks, I'll give him a call now," and headed into my room. Immediately, he picked up. "Sorry, I had my phone on mute."

"So what's it gonna be? Fabricated City or Before I Fall?" he asked through the phone. 

I slumped onto the bed, "You choose, I'm okay with anything."

He could tell I was off, "Something's the matter, isn't it?"

I pursed my lips, I wanted to be honest with him. But how could I? 'My ex just popped out of nowhere and now I feel uncomfortable'? That was rule number one in a new relationship, never bring up a past lover as if it's any more important than the current one. 

"Emma, you know you can tell me - as long as it makes you feel you feel better." he said it in such a gentle way, it genuinely felt like it was okay to tell him the truth. I cursed at myself for thinking that way, it was wrong. 

"Doyoung," I sighed. "Have you ever been, I don't know, haunted by your past before - to the extent that the images are so vivid they're just scary?"

He was silent for a while, "I haven't experienced stuff like that yet, but I have a friend who told me something similar. The way he put it, Emma I believe that whether whatever past you had is still chasing after you, it's up to you to let it continue taking advantage when you can make a difference."

"So what happened to him to feel that way?"

"It wasn't about what happened to him, but how many mistakes he had commited in the past - he hated what he did to the point that he started to hate himself in the process. It was because he let his past take over his future, it can be fatal when not stopped."

Hearing him talk, it sounded like windchimes on an autumn evening. Hearing him talk like an actual adult, mature and wise - it felt comforting to know I had someone to depend on advice. Even if I didn't do anything wrong to hate myself, I hated myself for thinking about someone not worth remembering. 

"Got it, thanks for the advice, " I answered. "I changed my mind, how about we watch Fabricated City? I'm in the mood for some action."

He chuckled, "There's the bubbly Emma Song I know. Sure, how about we get one of those cosy looking couple seats? You know the ones shaped like hearts."

I laughed and wrinkled my nose, "Now that's just showing off. Just give me a bucket of popcorn and I'm okay with anything." 

"So I'll see you tomorrow?"

"See you tomorrow."



*Jaehyun's POV*

Does seeing a person again really make one feel guilty of the things they had done?

I knew there was a possibility of meeting her again, with what had been whispering back in the states - that Emma Song had flew halfway across the world a few months back to study music. She got admission to Berkeley and even Easton, but she chose to go to some college off the American continent - both of us had a gut feeling why. 

She had intended to run away from me. 

I was sure we wouldn't need to cross paths after high school, seeming that we had different interests. Everyone knew Emma Song was going to be a musician, with all that talent wrapped inside her. Believe me, I asked people around school to confirm that. I knew she had an acquired taste when it came to music. And she knew music was only a pit-stop for me, not my key interest. 

I got myself into music for her, it was a mistake but also a wonderful one. 

As expected, I went on to UC for a degree - it was fine until semester break arrived. Everyone had plans to go on vacation, loiter and just hang out. I had none of those thoughts at the time, when I stumbled on a student exchange program in the hallway.  A four month trip to Seoul School of Music and Arts, it triggered my interest in music once more. 

No one told me I had a nice voice until she told me so. 

The first day of exchange, I was whisked away by the students I had just met. A girl named Lia said she was in a band, and she needed a vocalist. I thought there'd be no harm in trying, without any idea how big it would escalate to. Two people had been coming our way, under the age old oak tree. I didn't recognize her at first - or more seemingly I refused to believe my eyes. Emma Song, I thought I'd never see you again. Those were my only thoughts. 

It was odd seeing a person from the past, not changing even a bit. Maybe her hair was shorter now, up in her usual high tail but now it only reached the back of her neck. The last time I'd seen her, I remember her raven locks reached the small of her back - I called it mermaid hair. 

Why was I thinking about it now?

"Jung Jaehyun." the receptionist called me out after a while and rung the bell when I didn't seem to pay attention. I hastily got up from the couch in the lounge and huddled over, she told me to check the documents and sign at the bottom of every page - then she handed me the keys to my rented house. I wasn't staying in the dorms, I decided it was better if I had a bigger space to live in. The house was decent, an apartment in the middle of Seoul - I had yet to find out who was my housemate.

I carried my luggage all the way to the apartment, took the elevator up to the sixteenth floor and pressed the doorbell. I felt it was better to let my housemate welcome me rather than barging in without any notice - but I waited for three whole minutes but to no avail. No one seemed to be at home. At last, I fished out my keys and unlocked the door. 

Inside was very mundane, pretty much like any expected college student's room. The standard items were there, banners of the university pledge and emblem - a few photos on display. , just great.

The person in the photo was the one I had met earlier that day - Emma Song's current boyfriend. I felt like I was being played a prank, this had to be too real of a coincidence. Then again, I didn't need to care - why was I caring?  

Frustrated, I took out my phone and called the college staff again. The receptionist picked up, "Hey, I was wondering if you could switch me to another room?" she apologized. "No? All occupied? Well-" then I groaned, there was no point anyway. "Fine, forget I ever asked." and I ended the abrupt call. 

Begrudgingly, I pulled my luggage into my room - pratically tossed them onto the bed and slammed the door. It was all a mess in my head, and so I marched out the house again wanting some clearance of thought. Out of all the possibilites that could have happened, why this one? I knew Emma Song hated me, it wasn't a surprise for what I did to her. Of all the things I could let go of, she was the hardest goodbye. I didn't want her knowing the reason I slammed the door on her. 

That particular door to her was never meant to be opened.

I wasn't looking where I went, and simply wandered into a random street. Ahead, there was a diner with neon lights advertising their menu. Without knowing what to do, I walked towards it. The door of the diner greeted with a cheerful ding! and not many people were in at the time. That led to even more painful coincidences.

"What's it gonna be? Burgers or hotdogs?" Emma Song asked Kim Doyoung as they were hand-in-hand, I watched them from behind.

"You just ate a bucket of popcorn, and you're still hungry?" he answered jokingly.

"No one forced you to date me, Kim Doyoung!" and she laughed, it was nostalgic. The cashier boy seemed to be in a daze as well, probably confused at what this couple was talking about. 

All I could do was stand and watch before running out the diner again.



*Taeil's P.O.V*

You, it can't be...

The world seemed to be flashing lights, an epitome of colours reflected my emotions at that moment. My hands turned numb and cold as I stared at the couple right in front of me. I wasn't fond of detail, but I recognized her face no matter how long time had passed, the exact way whenever she broke into a smile. 

I never thought I'd see you again.

"Hello?" the boy repeated. I snapped back to attention. "Did you get that?" he asked.

I cleared my throat, "I-I'm sorry about that, could you please repeat your order?"

"I'd like two sets of hotdogs and fries, and two bottle of cokes please," he turned to look at his girlfriend. "Anything else, Em?"

She kissed his cheek, "I want you." she said cheekily. 

He frowned and touched her forehead, "Are you high?" and he turned to me. "What is she high on?"

She punched him softly, "Don't scare him off," and she smiled at me apologetically. "Don't mind him, he likes goofing around."

I forced out a weak laugh, "He's funny," I swallowed again. "I'll send your food to you shortly, please have a seat first." and with that they walked to a booth hand-in-hand. As I walked into the kitchen, I had clear my thoughts. 

After more than ten years, Emma Song, I still remember you...