Chapter 3

Wheel of Fortune

[ClarenceYoo_EXO]

 

The sound of string being plucked by skillful fingers resonated through the hall, and the boy on the stage started to move, the young general tilting his head in interest. The dancer was in lilac and rose pink robes, which fluttered and ruffled against the marble floor as he moved about, his movements as fluid as a stream flowing down from the mountains. The boy's head was high, but each time he meets Kyungsoo's eyes, he would dip his head low, as if avoiding his gaze. The action poked the general's curiosity awake, staring at the young dancer intently. He was so into the dance, he almost missed how the boy twirled with effort. His expression was blank, but the general could see how he tightened his lips with every move.

Something was wrong, Kyungsoo noted, now examining the boy from head to toe. One, two, three twists-- the boy fell, and Kyungsoo caught something on the boy's legs-- nasty purple and blue bruises. Anyone could've missed it, but not Kyungsoo-- his eyes were sharp like a hawk's. He tightened his jaws and almost ran to the boy's aid, but the sudden outburst of the emperor made him think otherwise. The dancer immediately covered his legs again and tried to stand up, only to fail miserably and be planted back on the floor. Whispers were exchanged, and judging stares were pointed at the boy, the emperor ordering someone to take the fallen dancer away.



"My lord, the emperor is deeply sorry for the lousy performance of his dancer earlier..." The emperor's prime minister said as he poured Kyungsoo a drink. They sat in the banquet hall, some of His Majesty's concubines entertaining the men. The general sat quietly, humming as he drank from his cup.

"A noble man such as you does not deserve to witness such a performance."

"It is fine, I think the fall of the stage can be saved by the kitchen."

The prime minister laughed and nodded. "Of course, of course. The emperor's cook would surely serve us the finest food."
And of course it was no bluff, the finest were always at the emperor's palace.

Seeing all these officials drinking and eating until they can't walk brings bitter taste in his mouth. Could it be? He thought as he stared at a platter of rare fruit. Is this where all the people's taxes go?

"General Do," His name was announced, and all heads turn to Kyungsoo, who was seated at the end, drinking quietly. The messenger approached and whispered in his ear, "His Majesty wants you in the palace dungeon."

Another odd request. the general finishes his drink and stands up without a word. Nobody notices that the platter of tangerines were missing a few.

He was standing inside the hidden dungeon, towering over a trembling boy. The instruction was whispered to him on the way-- he needs to punish the boy severely. He would've done that, but recognizing the boy as the dancer earlier-- he was thinking of a way on how to escape the order.

Sadly, he cannot.

"Leave us alone. Tell the others to exit. I'll take care of everything."

"But my lord--"

"Did you not hear me?" He turns to the soldier, voice low and cold. the soldier lowered his head and apologized, immediately marching out together with the others, leaving him and the dancer alone, the latter looking up at him as he crouched down, looking at the bruised and beaten legs of the other. The silence was broken by a growl of a hungry stomach, and that made Kyungsoo pull out some pieces of tangerine under his sleeves, and offering it to the other.

"Take it."