Chapter 9

Wheel of Fortune

[ClarenceYoo_EXO]

 

The general looked at his own reflection in the silver mirror of his room.

Scars were normal for a general- he had more than a dozen on his back, not even counting the scars all over his body. Before, he had a scar on his left eyebrow, after the lieutenant of the enemy army had hit his face with the hilt of his sword (who immediately died after doing so) and also a scar above his lip when the 5th general of the North tried to slash him (he stabbed him through his heart, twisted his sword, and pulled it out) and surprisingly all his war scars complimented his wide eyes, thick brows and round face.

But the scar he had now wasn't from war.

It was a pretty nasty gash across his face, from his right eyebrow, diagonally across his nose and left chin. It hurt, of course, but then he knew the boy had it worse.

He had it treated the night before, the Emperor giving him a late night visit and complimenting the punishment he gave to the dancer.

"You've done me a great job, General." Was the words he left, not noticing the stabbing glare of Kyungsoo's wide eyes, reflecting anger and distaste in the dark.

The general paced across his room back and forth at the crack of dawn, only in his black robes, his amour sent to be polished once again, together with his sword. He needs to think of something soon. Something that would stop the growing madness from his kingdom- yes, he dared to say 'his' since the emperor is only caring about himself and his treasures, or the people's treasures, rather. If his majesty can do anything to a dancer, what more to the commoners from his kingdom?

He needs a well-made plan, something that will throw the emperor away from his throne- a rebellion.

He knits his brows at this random thought. Such rebellion cannot be started if there's no plan to finish it. He tried to dismiss the idea, but still he kept it as one of his options.

For now, he kept his anger locked away- he can use it somewhere else- at another time.

 

It's been a week since his last encounter with the court dancer, and it's also been a week since the performances stopped. This left him in wonder. I'm sure the cuts I gave will only take two days to heal. He thought, brows knit together, mind wandering to somewhere else, as he started to walk slowly on his way to his headquarters. The soldiers behind him whispered amongst themselves, wondering why their dear general is lost in his thought. Even though he had always been like this- lost looking and passive, they know he's not lost into something shallow.

"General." He focuses on a figure before him, watching the other bow in respect. He looks at the messenger with question.

"I have a message from Gaegyeong district." As Kyungsoo observed the messenger from head to toe, he noticed that he had scratches on his arms. Then he notices a patch of red blooming on the man's arm.

With alarm, he immediately ordered, "Call the physician to my office."

The soldiers bowed and marched away, the general aiding the man to his office.

"Who attacked Gaegyeong?" He asked, setting the man to sit by door of his office.

"It was the third general, sir."

His face hardened. "Third General Kim Young?" How could a kingdom's general attack his own? He thought with anger. The man said no more, but the look he had confirmed Kyungsoo's question.

Later on the messenger spoke again in a low voice. "They said they were about to collect the taxes, but the people had no money and they set everything to fire."

"Did they say the emperor ordered them so?" He asks in a whisper.

The messenger nodded. And before the general could ask another question, he caught by the corner of his eye that the physician is approaching, so he fixes his stature, hand resting on his side where the hilt of his sword was supposed to be, but he felt no cold metal brushing against his palm, (finally remembering he had sent if away for polishing and sharpening), and talking loud enough for the emperor's physician to hear, "I'll visit Gaegyeong myself soon. Make sure that the border guards are alert at all times. I heard the festival is going well?"

He sees the physician's face twitch a bit. He internally quirks a brow, staring at the messenger who immediately gets the meaning of his look.

"Yes sir." A clearing of throat was heard and the general turns around, hands behind his back. "Ah, you are here. Please do treat my messenger's wounds. I really need to renew the training system, accidents are always happening. Are you sure that the arrow was not poisoned?"

"It wasn't sir."

"Good." He looks at the physician. "If you can't make him good as new by afternoon, you can bring him back to me, and I'll treat him myself." He uses a slight mocking tone, the doctor immediately catching on it, but he doesn't give the mocking back. "I will, sir."

"Now, if you'll excuse me- I still have matters to attend." He hums and walks away, his soldiers marching behind him again and he walks to the training grounds, turning to them after the gates have been closed.

"Gaegyeong has been attacked. Send troops and help rebuild everything." He looks up at the darkening sky. "The fire will be out as soon as you arrive there. And if the border guards are down and are replaced by Kim Young's men, tell them I sent you. If they stop you even if you already told them so, you know what to do."

"But sir, they are our own men." One said. With his hand on his waist, where the hilt of his sword was supposed to be, he says,

"We are our own enemy."