Chapter 1

Wheel of Fortune

[ClarenceYoo_EXO]

 

The chatter of crickets near the pond can be compared to the hushed conversations of the palace guards on night patrol. These aren't the ones serving the emperor nor the prince- they are too young. They were of fresh faces, from the prime minister's son to the scholar's son. So it just happened that these newly appointed guards were having a small talk with their oldest– there were rumours about him having messed hair– or crazy, to make it simpler– but still a handful of youngsters would sit and listen to his stories of old, that nobody would even believe. It started with a, "I remember this tale.." Which made the other seniors roll their eyes but the young men listened attentively, with the thought of, 'listening would not be bothersome' and, 'it is a lazy night anyways.' Among them was the law scholar's youngest son– Kyungsoo was his name, because while his mother laboured, the level of the sea rose. The moon was bright and full as well that night- and they said that is the reason why his eyes are wide and twinkling everytime he smiles or laughs. He wouldn't let himself miss out the said nonsense stories of their crazy senior. He was a young man of kindness and mercy, full of just and intellect like his father. Of course his father was proud, but was a bit disappointed that his beloved son chose to be in the emperor's army instead of the emperor's court.

He was fascinated– how enchantingly beautiful must it be, that even the emperor has fallen in love with how the boy dances. He always loved tales like this, his mother always lulling him to sleep with legends and tales when he was a kid. At some point he believed he have heard every legend there is, but this one– was something he has never heard of. Of course there were protests from the other old guards– 'that is a fiction made up by a crazy man's mind', 'that is pure nonsense', and, 'get back to work.' Still, the young man was left with thoughts regarding the old man's story.

Stories fade and trees die, so do people. Their old, crazy fellow had passed away– Kyungsoo was at his death bed and he saw the fond smile of the old man before he breathed his last words. "It is quite saddening that I cannot live to tell your legend."

The next years, fortune has come to Kyungsoo's way– he was appointed as an official– then as a captain– and until he reached the highest– he was now the emperor's general. He has changed a lot, physically, mentally but not emotionally. He was still full of just and intellect, a man of mercy and kindness. His tolerance is challenged everyday though– with the judging glares of the prime ministers and other officials of the palace. They kept on burying him with loads of work and headache but they didn't know one thing– he was a seed. A seed that is bound to grow. One moonless night, as he was checking the patrol units– a messenger from the emperor's palace came with an unusual request.

"The emperor wants me in his audience?"

"Yes, my lord. At this moment." With a nod he turns to his right hand. "Continue to check the patrols. I have some matters to attend." His right hand nodded, and he walks away with the messenger. It could've been a nice and peaceful night– the stars were bright, the crickets were in their usual spot near the palace pond, and the wind was cool. But as he was nearing the throne room, he could hear the chattering of people, "Why isn't it starting yet?"

The curtains were opened and he steps in, walking straight to the emperor and bowing respectfully.

"My lord."

"Ah, General Do!"

The emperor greeted with glee, tapping his shoulder lightly. "I am glad you came even though you have a handful of work."

"I will come in my lord's presence anytime he wishes." He earned another tap on his shoulder and he gets turned around, the emperor saying, "You must witness this, my good man." He gestures to a boy– just a little younger than Kyungsoo– and the general focuses on him.