Chapter 13

Wheel of Fortune

[ClarenceYoo_EXO]

 

Ah- there it goes again. Kyungsoo thought as a smile crept to the dancer's young, unblemished face. But this time the smile only grew instead of being stopped. He hummed, the dancer lifting the sleeves of his light blue robes, revealing his arms. Kyungsoo examined is skin and nodded to himself, but his eyes went back up to the boy's face,waiting for him to continue when he paused momentarily. A grin crept on the younger's face, motioning the general to lean closer- which the general did of course- before he finally spilled the beans.

"Tell no one... but I spat a seed into the physician's eye."

And after that, the boy fell into giggles, his hands covering his mouth. Kyungsoo snorted and grinned a little, standing back up properly, hands now crossed, but he looked clearly amused. He could imagine how the physician could have reacted- and he was indeed satisfied. He was one of the emperor's whisperers, Kyungsoo remembered that their old, crazy fellow once said. Like a demon? He suggested in a whisper with a grin, and the old soldier laughed heartily. My boy, you are smart. He had said, he is indeed like a whispering demon.

"I hate how he sneers." Kyungsoo comments before he hummed, nodding at the boy, as if understanding why he did it. "He's like those pale men in one of my noonas' paintings. He's inhumanly.. Hideous to look at." He whispers back and snorts again.

That kind of face is common. And the general hates it. No matter how many times some women paint their faces with expensive palettes, or how many times some men groom themselves, they all look so common- so alike. Their skin had an olive glow- unlike Kyungsoo, who had a fair tan from all his field work, unlike this dancer in front of him, who had porcelain white skin. They all had the same pair of chinky eyes- and Kyungsoo was somehow thankful his eyes were wide- even though he's been degraded by enemies since he looks, "soft." They all died anyway.

"There will be a feast next week."