Chapter 11

Wheel of Fortune

[ClarenceYoo_EXO]

 

He was left with a handful of old soldiers to give tasks, and young ones to train. He doesn't really need to visit them since there are assigned trainors for every skill- Bo Joon for archery, Kang Saeghyun for jousting, Seo Taebin for swordsmanship- but still he would spare some time to visit, reminiscing the old days where he was still one of the trainees, striving to be better and to protect everything within the red walls and wooden fences, everything embedded into people's souls.
"Stop!" A voice announced as soon as he set foot on the dust filled grounds with his lieutenant and major.
Kyungsoo stands in front, hands behind him, feeling completely , standing without his sword. Kyungsoo was already itching to have his hands resting on the hilt of his sword again, but then the polishing will be finished later night.
Hundreds of men bowed deeply to the man before them, but the general waves them off.
"I am just here to watch. Go back to your training."
"Yes, sir."
They all bow again and screams are shouted, swords meeting with a loud shing, arrows hitting the red bullseye on wooden target practices.

After watching the young spar with sharp swords and spears, he asks his lieutenant.
"Is the emperor at the palace?"
"No sir, he's travelling- his majesty will be attending the festival of harvest at the other side of the kingdom."
With a hum, he says, "I'll have to go. I give you an order to visit Gaegyeong, follow the group that left this morning. Take the major with you. I will follow soon."
"Yes sir."

He now stood in front of the iron doors of the dungeon, waiting for the cell guards to open the door. They can't look at him in the eye- perhaps they were now afraid of him after seeing what he did to the boy. The dungeon was cold- if it's from the dampness of the ground or the hundreds of weeping souls trapped inside the greasy walls- he was not sure.
Of course the guard is smart enough to open the cell of the court dancer, who, to his surprise, wasn't at the corner where he first saw him. Instead, he was seated near the cold bars, dainty and pale hands holding on it weakly.
Without word, he entered and waited for the guard to go back to his post.
The young dancer was seated like a well-mannered boy, dressed in another shade that still highlighted his almost glowing complexion. The general was just staring at him for a bit, watching those lips curve into a wide smile, which was unlikely of the boy.
Kyungsoo started to think that maybe he is really something amusing for the boy- or maybe he was just staring at the scar he had on his face.
Maybe it was both, maybe it was none.

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust." The boy began to whisper. "What a fitful end to such a place, don't you think?"
The general doesn't answer. It was obvious, and he didn't need to point it out further.
This tragedy needs to be claimed by the emperor, he thought. Whether he likes it or not, I will make him claim it as his- and I'll make it as his own tragedy.

"That town's prestige began with a legacy tempered in fire. So it should only be natural for it to have ended in flame."
The red glow outside flickered, his shadow snapping out of his place of a moment. Something broke his silence- a buzzing laugh that came from somewhere far them, which sounded more like a cry since it was clear that the owner's throat was completely dry.
"Isn't it that right, General?"
Was it? Of course it was. Everything just goes back from where it started. War starts from war and ends with war. Freedom? It was only the belief of being able to do anything one wishes. Materialistic and selfish people doesn't suprise Kyungsoo- but selfless people do.
"I am going to Gaegyeong soon after my men have control over the place. Apparently, my third general set everything into conflagration." He doesn't know why he was saying this, but then, why does he need a reason to tell?
"It's been a week. They have not released you yet?" He asks in a small whisper, not wanting anyone to hear him.
"Your cuts seem better, though."