Chapter 9

The Doll

“Hyung, good morning!” I blinked a few times before reorienting myself once more, and was greeted by four cheerful looking guys. I looked around and saw the others had left. Mino must’ve noticed because he replies to my actions. “They’ve gone out for a bit, and had to practice for an upcoming concert. Well, at least that’s what I heard from Daesung hyung.” He smiles a bit, and fishes for his phone before I look back at Seungyoon.

“What time is it?” I ask, and he shows me his phone. It read 5:30pm, and I immediately sit up. “I thought you guys were coming earlier this morning?” I asked, my tone slightly panicking at the thought of me sleeping the entire day away. He chuckles, and puts his phone back. “Well, we were supposed to, until we saw a crowd of fans trying to get into the hospital before we even got in.” He sighs, and Seunghoon hums in agreement. “We decided it was best that we let you rest.”

I caught a strange glint in Seungyoon’s eyes, and he then faces the others. “I hope you don’t mind me talking to Seungri hyung privately.” They all nod, and went out of the room. When everyone had gotten out, Yoon sits on the edge of the bed, staring intently at me.

He sighs. I silently wait for whatever he wanted to talk about. “I’m guessing you can’t remember me.” He starts, and I almost wanted to laugh. “You’re Kang Seung Yoon, the 4th placer on Superstar K2, Winner’s Leader. What are you─” I suddenly stop, finally realizing what he meant after looking at him again. He sighs again. “You’re starting to remember. I knew the effect won’t last long.” He scoots closer to me, still sitting on the side of the bed, but much closer to my upper torso.

I voice out my curiosity. “What happened? Why… can’t I remember things?”

He looks at me, his gaze fixed on my eyes as if being able to read my thoughts. “You know. You’re starting to remember. I thought if I could make you live in this world and forget things then maybe you could escape the effects of whatever Chaerin tried to do to you. But Gikwang is dead, Mino is missing, and we can’t hide under Yang Hyun Suk’s care. We can’t run away forever. Your cousins need you, and so does Inhyeon.”

This time, I closed my eyes and sighed. “What can I do? I’m seriously just a human to you. I wouldn’t know why I’m here, or why I got involved in your magical feud of some sort.”

Instead of trying to argue with me, he merely smiles. “You remember. And no, you’re not just a human.”

This caught my attention. “Not… human?”

He nods, and pulls out his shabby notebook, the same one I found at Gikwang’s. “You’re a rare case, my friend. You’re a hybrid created by some unidentified being, so your weakness and other hidden powers are unknown. However,” he flips to another page, “Mino and I have detected a power of yours that we are sure of. Being able to cross world lines.”

I scoff. “What does that do? How can I even be of help if that’s all I can do?”

He shakes his head in amusement. “You may be a hyung in this timeline but I’m sure I’m more of a hyung to you in our timeline. You see, being able to cross world lines means that you can seriously do inter-dimensional travel, a thing which most witches and doll makers can’t do unless they’ve mastered being able to create life, aka dolls. Now, because often, witches and doll makers pass down some of their abilities to their creation so that they can live, you may have other, more powerful abilities.”

“So you’re saying that whoever messed with my life must be some sort of highly skilled witch or dollmaker? So, like, I get to be as powerful as they are?” I silently laugh.

I sound so ing hilarious. I think I’ve lost it.

“Yes.” He nods, and then narrows his eyes at me before returning to his normal expression. “You haven’t lost it, mind you. And besides, we need your power to defeat Chaerin. You know it.”

I ran my fingers through my hair. “But how about the other BIGBANG hyungs?”

“Oh, them? They’ll be fine. By the way, Soohyun and Chanhyuk are blending in well with the company, they can protect the others.”

I narrowed my eyes at Yoon. “Define ‘blending in well’.”

He shrugs nonchalantly. “In this timeline, Soohyun and Chanhyuk are super talented siblings, and are well known by the public. Who knew your cousins from our timeline are equally as talented? They just released an album and are currently promoting.” He grins at me, and takes his phone out and plays a song. As the song began to play, their voices blended together and Soohyun’s charming high notes made it even more enchanting. “It’s ‘Dinosaur’ and seriously, they blend in just well. They’re REALLY good.”

I look up, lost in thought once more, trying to remember if Chanhyuk or Soohyun had ever played any instruments at all. “I remember them saying they hated playing instruments, although they could easily pick up one and play it flawlessly if they wanted. There was one time where Chanhyuk made a little song when he was bored, and Soohyun just jamming to it, and I felt like the biggest potato in the world because I just don’t have that musicality.”

We nod in unison. “They’re musical geniuses.”

“Anyway, back to the subject. We still need to get back into our timeline, although I tried to make you avoid the war and wait it out here until you were safe.” Yoon says, and I reached out for my phone on the bedside table. “You can’t wait it out because you wanted to find Mino.” I said, and he looks up at me, wide eyed. “How’d you know? We’ve never met before all of this.”

This time, I looked at him in amusement. “I saw how you looked at Mino in this timeline. It seemed like you guys go very far back.” He just nods, and silence envelopes us more.

“When will we go back?” I asked, and he shrugs. “Until you get better. Or, if you wanna heal, then let me call for Seunghoon.”

I tilt my head, my brows furrowing in curiosity. “Hoon? I thought…”

“Yes, he’s from this timeline. People with powers walk among us. He just doesn’t know it yet. I joke around with him so he won’t notice. And yes, Mino from your timeline was actually from this timeline. He just chose to stay there.” He stands up and goes outside. I sit back in my bed when suddenly, someone covers my mouth, preventing me from screaming.

A whisper on my left ear gave me goosebumps. “Be quiet. I can end your life and whatever you may know right now if you make any noise.” I nod, and the pressure is gone from my mouth. “Kang Seungyoon is a dangerous doll maker. Go with him and kill him as soon as you get back to your own timeline. He is brainwashed by Chaerin. DO NOT TRUST HIM.” I nod, and the presence disappears.

Seungyoon then comes back inside with Hoon, and after making Hoon laugh and secretly trying to get him to say some spells of healing, I felt his powers.

 

Should I?

 

I yawned and stretched a bit. “I feel slightly better thanks to you visiting me.” I smiled at them and Yoon, along with everyone else, smiled back. “Always happy to be here. Anyway, we’ve gotta go, we still have to shoot some commercial. We’ll be back tomorrow to bring food” I waved as they left, and one by one, slowly, the room was filled with silence, aside from the faint humming of the air conditioner.