Four

Trapped
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“In the 1350s, the Yuan dynasty declined rapidly due to internal struggles… repulsed two large invasions by the Red Turbans in 1359 and 1360… Goryeo turned its attention to the Wokou menace and used naval artillery created…”

Running her fingers through her hair, Kira flipped her book as their History teacher, Mr. Song, continued writing on the board while explaining. After cutting everything with Yuna and Jimin, she could definitely feel the difference and she also noticed how the other students tried to stay away from her.

She doesn’t really have any problem with that which is kind of weird but then again there’s a ‘Kim Jongin’ by her side. He’s been nothing but a ray of sunshine when he became her friend. There’s no day that passed by without him making her tear up because of laughter.

Kira could say that she really made a good decision accepting Jongin’s proposal to be her friend.

She turned to his direction and her brows bristled when she saw Jongin busily folding a colored paper. A satisfied smile crept on his face when he finished what he was doing. His smile got even bigger when he caught her gaze as he showed her the paper crane. She shook her head in disbelief. Sometimes she asks herself if Jongin’s really a high school student and not a kindergarten pupil.

“Kim Jongin,” Mr. Song suddenly called out, making him snap to their teacher’s direction. Kira lowered her head, biting her lip to stop herself from smiling. You’re so dead.

“Y-Yes?” Jongin asked as he slowly stood, pushing his chair hesitantly. He looked like a bunny in a trap.

“Tell us what happened in the year 1392. What did General Yi Seong Gye do?”

Jongin’s lips curved upward and his expression changed into a confident one. Kira lifted her head and intently waited for his answer.

“General Yi Seong Gye, later known as Taejo, established the Joseon dynasty, named in honor of the ancient kingdom Gojoseon. The prevailing philosophy throughout the Joseon dynasty was Neo-Confucianism which was epitomized by the seonbi class, scholars who passed up positions of wealth and power to lead lives of study and integrity. Taejo moved the capital to Hanyang and built Gyeongbokgung palace.”

The class was dead silent after his answer. Kira found herself smiling in awe.

“Very good but please pay attention during class,” Mr. Song remarked as he closed his book and Jongin nodded his head in answer. The former looked very impressed since he was not really expecting anything from that class. History’s not really a subject that makes the students hyped.

Jongin turned to Kira’s direction and winked at her as a grin crept on his face.

“Showoff,” she mouthed before smiling.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“It looks like Mr. Song found his new favorite student,” Kira commented as she pulled a tray from the counter. Jongin chuckled as he did the same before stepping into the queue to get their lunch. “Were you even listening back there?”

“Not really. I just happened to know what he asked,” he casually answered. Kira’s brows bristled.

“Really?”

“Why? Are you impressed? That’s also one of my charms,” he replied casually before pointing at his temple. “Your friend here is also smart.”

Kira faked a shiver before rolling her eyes. “I can’t believe you said that with your own mouth,” she remarked as she scooped some rice for her plate. Jongin followed with smile painted on his face.

“Where will you ever find someone like me to be your friend? I’m one of a kind, Glitter.”

“Yes. Yes. Okay,” she replied, nodding without really giving attention to what Jongin was saying. She already learned to go with Jongin’s comments but sometimes she asks herself if Jongin’s also cringing inside whenever he acts like an airhead.

Kira started walking to the empty table and Jongin followed her like a baby duckling.

“I’m pretty smart. I’m good in sports. I’m also artistic and a good dancer,” Jongin started enumerating his good qualities as they sat opposite of each other. “Not to mention that I’m also good-looking,” he continued, grinning.

Sighing, Kira drew a long breath as she started eating. “And why are telling me those things?” she asked with a ‘I-don’t-really-care’ expression. Giving attention to Jongin’s bragging will only make him say more cringe-worthy things. Kira knows that he’s just making her feel comfortable with his acting.

“Nothing. I’m just bragging,” he replied casually.

“You are?” she asked, faking a surprised expression. “No wonder the wind suddenly blew stronger a while ago.”

Jongin chuckled and so did Kira. She noticed that she’s been laughing a lot these days. Jongin really is a good painter and Kira could see the small colors being added in her life.

“Glitter.”

“Hmm?”

“You said you’re going to join the relay race, right?”

“Yes. Why?”

“I also joined.”

“Really?” Kira asked, raising her head to look at him.

“Someone pulled out so I just wrote my name on the list. How bad could it be?”

“Our team’s doomed then. You don’t have that good stamina though. Do you remember that day when we were being chased by the owner of the building that you were vandalizing?”

Jongin scoffed, exaggerating an expression to show that he’s in disbelief. “Hey, I’m good at sports and that includes running. And I was not vandalizing. I was making art.”

Another chain of friendly bickering came next.

“This is so random but I’m going to ask it anyway. How did you get into this school? I heard that it’s not because of the scholarship that this school grants,” Kira suddenly asked when she remembered what Yuna said. It really never occurred to her but she just realized that she never asked Jongin about it.

“That really is random. Well, I have a private sponsor. I haven’t met him yet but he has been supporting my education since I was in grade school. My mom said that he’s a foreigner so I just know him by the name Mr. Davis. She worked in the U.S. for some years so that must be how she knew him.”

Kira nodded as she hummed. “You’re so lucky to have a private sponsor.”

Jongin nodded in agreement. “I really am. Come to think of it, if it wasn’t for him, I would’ve not met you and you would’ve not met the great me,” he stated as the corners of his lips curved upwards. Kira was left speechless. She sighed and just nodded before looking at her food.

“I can’t believe I became friends with you,” she mumbled, picking her food with her chopsticks.

“That’s understandable. Sometimes I still get surprised when I look at the mirror. I just can’t believe how awesome I look and-”

Kira stood and Jongin looked up at her. “I’m done eating.”

“Already?”

Kira smiled, nodding. “I think I’ll suffer from indigestion if I keep eating while you’re talking about your awesomeness,” she said jokingly as she started walking away.

“Wait. Glitter! Wait for- Ouch- me!” Jongin hurriedly emptied his bowl of rice before running to cope with Kira. The latter was already chuckling as she hurriedly walked towards the door. Jongin, with his long limbs, cope with her.

“Glitter!” he shouted as he took few more steps. Kira stopped and turned to him.

“Oh? You’re here Mr. Awesome?” she asked before a smile broke on her face.

Jongin started coughing and rubbing his chest. Kira handed him her bottle of water which he quickly reached and drank from.

“I’m going to the restroom. You can go first,” she stated and without waiting for his reply, she entered the restroom.

Jongin felt like he could breathe again after drinking some water. His food probably got stuck in his throat a while ago. Fixing his tie, he started walking through the lobby. Murmurs from some students standing in front of the bulletin board caught his attention. Curious, Jongin made his way through the crowd to see what was posted.

Jongin’s expression turned dead serious when he saw an edited picture of Kira. It was edited to make it look like she’s in bed in a guy’s arms. The picture was pretty graphic with a messy mosaic work which barely covered anything except the man’s face. His jaws tightened as he read the words written below the picture.

Jung Kira’s a sly fox but I have to admit that she’s good in bed.

He took a step and ripped the whole thing from the bulletin board. He crumpled it and pushed through the crowd once again.

“Is this your childish way of getting revenge for Kira hurting your ego?” Jongin asked, showing the crumpled paper to Yuna. The latter raised a brow as she looked at Jongin from head to toe. She scoffed.

“I see you’re backing her now. She sure lowered her standards to be with a guy like you.”

“Answer my question,” Jongin said with a calm yet stern voice.

Yuna looked back at her phone after rolling her eyes on him. “It’s none of your business.”

“It is my business. She’s my friend.”

Another scoff left her lips. “Friend? Are you perhaps ing her?” she asked, meeting his eyes. Jongin’s brows bristled in disbelief and anger. “Are you after her family’s money? Let me give you an advice, stay away from that if you don’t want your life to be ruined. You are- ahk!”

Yuna shot Jongin a deadly glare as she tried to pull her arm from his grasp. Jongin tightened his hold, making her yelp. “Let me also give you an advice. Don’t pull a stunt like that ever again if you don’t want your face to be ruined.”

A hint of fear crossed Yuna’s face as she stepped back. Jongin let go of her arm. “Hurt Kira again and you’ll regret it for the rest of your life.”

Yuna held her reddening arm. “Whatever,” she stated, trying to sound like she’s not affected but Jongin could detect the slight shaking of her voice. She held her head high as she stomped her way out of there.

A sigh escaped Jongin’s mouth as he ran his fingers through his hair. Walking back to the classroom felt like a long journey with a heavy load on his back. He’s too concerned. Since that day that Kira broke her friendship with Yuna and Jimin, some things changed. Jimin’s sudden transfer to Australia to be with her parents, made the situation messier since no one’s there to control Yuna’s actions.

Since Yuna’s on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter