Sixteen

Trapped
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kira’s in cloud nine and she’s not planning on getting down. She could still feel his lips on hers. Her heart’s constantly fluttering whenever she would remember how he gave her kiss after kiss. Jongin’s been in her mind for the rest of the day. The corners of her lips looked like they were permanently curved upwards.

“You look like you’re in a good mood,” Minhyun remarked when he noticed her smiling from ear to ear. Kira, obviously startled, turned to him and quickly cleared . Minhyun had a teasing smile on his face.

“I am…in a good mood,” she stated as she tried to look busy. She grabbed her pencil and started doodling things on her note. Her friend chuckle and she glanced at him, giving him a ‘what are you laughing at’ look. Minhyun shrugged.

“You’re so obvious. You look happier that Kai’s not acting like a jerk lately. Speaking of him, try and drag him with you this weekend.” Minhyun flipped the page of his book. He pursed his lips before tracing a line on the page. “I think you both need a breath of fresh air and Busan’s a good place to be at during the weekend. My mom insisted on making you come. She’s going to prepare a bunch of seafood.”

Minhyun’s family is known in Busan, not only for their business but because of their family’s charity works which his mother is in charge of. His mother has been treating her very well and she would even personally prepare food for her whenever she visits them in Seoul. She’s not like those rich ahjummas who would act like they own the world just because they have money.

“I’ll try and drag him with me,” she replied, nodding. “Do I have to get something for the kids? I think I should bring some stuff for them.”

“Maybe you can show a little performance,” Minhyun suggested, craning his neck to look at her. Kira gave him a confused look. “The kids would love it if you dance for them,” he continued as his smile got even bigger.

“D-Dance? Me? Are you joking with me? You know I have two left feet. I can’t dance.” She was glaring at him and he looked like he’s enjoying what he’s seeing. Kira hit his arm harder than she intended, making him move away from her.

“I was just kidding,” he remarked. “You don’t need to bring anything. Everything’s taken care of anyway. Just bring yourself and your fiancé.”

The word fiancé suddenly hit her. She pursed her lips into a thin line.

“Minhyun.”

“Huh?”

“I-” She paused. Minhyun was staring at her, waiting for what she’s about to say. Two parts of her are fighting if she should say it or not.

“Why?”

“I think…I think I should cancel the engagement.”

There was silence. Minhyun’s expression changed into a confused one. He had his eyes narrowed.

“Why? I thought you…like each other. Why are you suddenly having such thought?” he asked as he completely closed the book that he’s reading. Kira internally sighed, thinking of how she’s supposed to explain it to Minhyun without divulging Jongin’s secret.

“That’s the exact reason. I want to cancel it because I like him,” she muttered. Because I like him, I don’t want to see him suffer for the rest of his life acting as Royale Group’s heir.

 Minhyun sighed, shifting on his seat. “Are you sure you can do that? The last time we’ve talked, you said we don’t have time to find other solutions to save Mirae.”

She gave him a reassuring smile. “I already talked to grandpa about this and he said he’s okay with it. I’m sure we’ll find a solution which will not take us a long time.”

Minhyun has reservations about the sudden change in plan but if that’s what his friend wants, he’s going to support her all the way. Kira’s been through a lot and he’s sure that she has her reasons for suddenly thinking of backing out. He knows some things about him – about Jongin – and in his mind, he’s already coming up with the conclusion that it has something to do with his secret. Jongin’s living as Kai.

Coming up with such deductions amidst the tangled stories that he discovered, Minhyun does not have any plan to mind Jongin’s business but it looks like he needs to rethink that because of Kira. It’s obvious that she’s sacrificing a part of her for Jongin.

And he could only wish that she will not be hurt in the end.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Minhyun was right; they really needed Busan’s fresh air. The small school for children with disabilities is located away from the busy city. It’s in a place overlooking the blue sea. The view is just so calming.

Kira stood near the fence and she was facing the sea. She had her eyes shut and was just feeling the cold breeze touch her bare skin. She was trying to free herself from all the stressful things that have been filling her mind for the past months. She could breathe once again.

Slowly, she turned back. A smile crept on her face.

There were no reporters, no cameras and no publicity. Minhyun’s mother has been supporting the kids in that school for 10 years and despite having its anniversary on that very day, she chose to just spend it with the kids and their parents. It’s not grand. It’s a simple celebration and Kira was very thankful that the people there are not giving much attention about her and the engagement issue or the corruption scandal that her grandfather was dragged into.

Minhyun was playing house with some of the kids and he looked like he’s been given the role of the baby. Hyunbin was playing rough with the boys. Two kids were hanging from his arms and two more kids were being dragged on his long legs. Seungwoo and Daniel, who voluntarily invited themselves after hearing Kira asking Jongin about going there, were having a great time playing water guns with the older kids.

Kira followed the ball rolling to her direction with her eyes. She crouched and picked it up when it stopped exactly on where she standing.

“Pass!” Jongin shouted, waving his hand for her to pass the ball to them. He was with some kids who were already running around. After estimating how much force she sould use, she threw the ball. Jongin looked like he was having a blast playing with the kids. For a day, they’re away from all the stress. For a day, they’re free.

“Are you enjoying your free time here?” Minhyun’s mother asked when Kira made her way to the long table where they were preparing the food for the kids and their parents. Kira nodded, smiling.

“Yes.” She helped display the cake on the center of the table as the members of the staff fixed the seats.

“I heard from Minhyun that your grandfather’s surgery went well. How is he now?”

“He’s doing better. I think he will be out of the hospital next week.”

The older woman, nodded. “That’s good to know.” There was a pause. “Honestly…I was surprised when I heard that you got engaged.”

Kira lifted her face and looked at Mrs. Hwang. She’s not sure of what to say to that.

“I really wanted you in my family. I thought that you’d make a very nice daughter-in-law,” she casually stated and Kira was left with nothing to say. How should one answer to that? Kira just pursed her lips before smiling.

“Minhyun and I…are good friends…” she trailed off. Mrs. Hwang noticed her expression and chuckled.

“I know and I know that your relationship with him will stop on that.”

Kira gave her a lopsided smile before she continued placing the plates on the table.

“Kim Kai, your fiancé, looks like a nice guy,” Mrs. Hwang remarked, nodding towards where Jongin was. He was tying the lace of the kid who was playing with them. “You two are still young and you have so many things before you. I know that one of the reasons for the engagement is the current situation of Mirae. I hope that you’ll be happy with every decision that you make in life. I considered you as my daughter when Minhyun introduced you as his friend and as a mother, I don’t want you to be hurt.”

Mrs. Hwang was the closest to a mother that she got. Just like Mrs. Yoon, she gave Kira the love that she never experienced from her own mother. For such a short time, the two of them developed a connection and Kira could say that Mrs. Hwang is one of the persons who helped her through the tough times.

Kira gave the older woman an assuring smile.

“Don’t worry. I will try not to get hurt.”

She said those exact words four years ago when she was talking to Jongin.

It’s impossible not to get hurt and she knows that.

But…is it wrong to hold on to that?

I will try…I will try…I will try…

Is it wrong?

But if ever I get hurt again, I hope it will not leave me so broken.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Splash.

Splash.

Kira stared at her bare feet as the water came rushing to where she was standing. The cold nigh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter