Thirteen

Trapped
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“A toast for both Mirae Enterprise and Royale Group! And a toast for Kim Kai and Jung Kira!”

Guests in their best suits and dresses lifted their glasses of wine, cheering for the companies and the two newly engaged couple. The loud sound of them applauding came next as both Kira and Kai stood on the stage to greet the guests. The engagement party’s so grand.

Kai started greeting the other guests as Kira did her own share of thanking the guests for attending. If one is unaware, he would mistake the event as a wedding reception. Kai had a smile permanently painted on his face as he made his round shaking the hands of some people in their field. He’s been weirdly calm during the past days but he still kept his distance from Kira.

“My feet are feeling numb,” Kira muttered as she sat on the table where Hyunbin and Minhyun were sitting.

“Congratulations, noona,” Hyunbin greeted with a small smile. She nodded and gave him a matching smile.

“Thanks.”

“Glitter…huh…” Minhyun suddenly mused before the corner of his lips curved upwards in a playful grin. “Was that the reason why you told me not to call you Glitter? Someone already gave you that nickname and it’s just for his exclusive use.”

“That’s not-”

“Don’t lie. I know I’m right.”

Hyunbin glanced at the two with a confused expression. “What are you talking about?”

Minhyun turned to the younger guy with a look of disbelief in his face. “Your family runs a broadcasting station and you don’t know what I’m talking about? I’m talking about the nickname that his fiancé gave him – Glitter,” Minhyun replied, leaning towards Hyunbin before playfully nudging the latter as the last word left his lips.

“Glitter? Why?”

Minhyun shook his head, pushing Hyunbin aside. “Read some news and watch some shows from time to time. You’ll know what I’m talking about.”

Kira looked around, trying to find her grandfather amongst the crowd. She spotted him with Minhyun’s father on a table near the stage. They were seriously talking about something.

“Your grandpa’s scheduled for the surgery next week. Everything’s going to be okay so don’t worry,” Minhyun remarked when he noticed the expression on her face change. Hyunbin nodded immediately.

“That’s right. And Minhyun hyung’s uncle is going to be in charge so the chairman will be alright.”

The corner of her lips curved upwards before ruffling Hyunbin’s styled hair. The latter moved away as quick as lightning. “Ah noona~ You’re destroying my hairdo~” he whined, pouting. Kira chuckled and pulled Hyunbin for a headlock as she continued ruffling his hair. Hyunbin sighed in defeat.

“You look greasy with that hairdo anyway,” Minhyun commented, chuckling when Kira let the younger man free. “Now you look better with that hair.”

Hyunbin combed his hair with his fingers as he glared at the two. “I’m going to make my revenge. Just wait and I’ll start with Minhyun hyung.”

Minhyun raised a brow. “Me? Why? I did not do anything.”

Hyunbin stood and walked to Minhyun’s seat. Kira chuckled when Hyunbin pulled Minhyun into his arms. The younger guy had his lips puckered for a kiss. Minhyun was already pushing Hyunbin away, telling him to let go.

Kira couldn’t contain her laughter when Hyunbin successfully planted a kiss on Minhyun’s cheek. The latter looked like his soul left his body. Knowing that Minhyun does not like skinship from Hyunbin in that way, that’s the best revenge that the younger guy could think of.

Kira looked up at Hyunbin who has a triumphant smile on his face. “Don’t do anything stupid. I’m warning you,” Kira stated, pointing a finger at Hyunbin as he made his way to his seat. Kira was already distancing herself from Hyunbin.

“Don’t worry; I’m not going to kiss you or anything. I’m going to get punched by your fiancé if I do so. He’s staring like I’m some kind of meat ready to be eaten,” Hyunbin commented, gesturing to his right.

He was right.

Kai was staring at their table and so were his friends who were also sitting on the same table. But as soon as their eyes met, Kai looked away. He’s been acting like that since that day.

On the other table, Seungwoo was playing with the glass of wine on the table. Daniel was just staring blankly at the table while Kai’s eyes were darted on the stage. The mood in their table was definitely different from the whole room.

Seungwoo sighed, throwing his hands in the air in frustration. “Oh my god. You two are frustrating. You’re acting like you’re two kids who fought because of a toy. Why are you not talking to each other?” he finally exploded.

After calling Kai a , Daniel has been extremely quiet. Even when he’s hanging out with the two, he just kept his mouth shut except when Seungwoo would ask him something. Kai returned to his quiet self. Having his two friends acting like that was making Seungwoo lose his cool.

Sighing, Seungwoo pulled Kai and Daniel’s hand and forced them to shake hands. “Act like adults and make peace,” he commented, glancing at the two.

“Sorry,” Daniel sighed after some time. “But I won’t take back what I said. You’re still a for treating her like that.”

Seungwoo eyed Daniel like he was telling him that saying sorry was enough and that it’s not necessary for him to add the next sentence that he just said. Seungwoo turned to Kai who was already leaning on his back after the hand shake.

“Sorry for snapping at you like that,” Kai mumbled.

One…Two…Three.

“Good!” Seungwoo exclaimed. His voice was loud enough to catch the attention of the people there. Daniel and Kai glared at him, warning him to keep his voice down. “Now that you two are not acting like , let’s grab something to eat. I’m starving from babysitting the two of you. I was nervous that you’d punch each other’s face whenever you’re together,” Seungwoo chimed as he stood and walked away.

Kai and Daniel just stared at their friend as he started filling his plate with food.

Kai’s gaze went back to Kira and her friends’ table. They were talking animatedly between fits of laughter. Daniel noticed his odd behavior.

“You’re acting like you want her badly but then you’re trying to push her away. You’re so frustrating,” Daniel remarked, shaking his head. Kai just kept quiet and that’s another odd behavior that’s making Daniel suspect that there’s something going on with his friend. “Glitter…”

Kai looked at Daniel when he muttered that word. Daniel gave him a lopsided smile. “So that was the meaning of that word…” he mused before a teasing smile finally made its way to Daniel’s face. “I saw a notebook of yours with that word all over a page…like…3 years ago. It’s obvious that you still like her.”

Kai sighed. “Stop it. Don’t push your luck.”

Ring.

Ring.

Kai stared at the screen of his phone before answering it.

“Hello?”

He sounded anxious. “W-What? When?”

Daniel was intently staring and listening. Kai nodded his head quickly. “Thank you. Thank you so much.” He sounded so happy and that was the first time Daniel saw his friend like that. He was smiling from ear to ear and his smile looked so genuine – not like the kind of smile that he would flash businessmen during meetings or parties.

And when Kai ended the call, that smile was still on his face. Daniel asked himself if he was seeing things because he’s sure Kai’s eyes were glistening as if he’s going to cry. In order not to spoil the mood, Daniel just kept the question that he wanted to ask to himself.

Who is this Doctor Seo that made Kai act like this?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Being officially engaged made Kai and Kira the most popular ‘couple’ in the campus that even their professors talk about the two during coffee breaks. The other students were being obvious; they couldn’t take their eyes off them when they’re around.

Kai and Kira were forced to act like a couple when people are around but Kira could feel that he’s still keeping his distance from her – or more of, he’s being too careful when he’s with her. They would share a car from now and then but the atmosphere would always turn extremely quiet – they just won’t talk to each other. A part of Kira already gave up trying to understand why he’s acting like that but another part of her is still wrapped around the mystery behind his made-up story about himself.

And just like any other time, nobody’s talking despite the fact that they’re the only people inside that car. Kai was just so focused in driving. A sudden invitation by Kai’s father for them to have dinner at their house took her by surprise. And looking at Kai’s face, she’s sure that he hated the idea. Kira was suddenly reminded of the times that she saw and heard Chairman Kim hitting, slapping and scolding Kai.

She couldn’t blame Kai. Even if she’s not sure of what’s happening between the two, being treated like that by one’s own father is just wrong. Jongin told her that he grew up with only his mother by her side so she thought his parents got divorced. Having him appear after four years as Chairman Kim as his father was totally unexpected.

“We’re here,” Kai informed as he stopped the car.

Kira got off, closing the door behind her, before following Kai inside the gated property. They were welcomed by a maid who was waiting for them right in front of the door and they were ushered inside where they heard the sound of laughter coming from the vast living room.

As they stepped in that part of the house, Mr. Ji and his wife looked at them. “You’re here,” the woman chirped as she stood to give them a hug. She looked like a nice person. Kai and Kira bowed in greeting afterwards. Chairman Kim also stood as he introduced the guests.

“Meet Mr. and Mrs. Ji. They are the new investors of Royale,” Chairman Kim stated and Kai bowed once again. The older man offered his hand for a hand shake which Kai accepted.

“At last, we’ve met,” Mr. Ji remarked with a smile. “I’ve only seen you in the news and in the internet. And this young lady must be Miss Jung of Mirae,” he continued, turning to Kira who also bowed in greeting. He also offered his hand and Kira accepted it with a small smile on her face.

Chairman Kim rubbed his hands together, looking at everyone. “Now that we’re all here, why don’t we continue our little talk over dinner?”

“Why not?” Mr. Ji replied, shrugging.

From the corner of her eyes, Kira saw Kai sigh and shut his eyes for some seconds as if his head suddenly hurts.

Business.

Business.

Business.

Chairman Kim and Mr. Ji continued talking about investments, stocks and other business stuff. Kira’s not complaining but she wished she was not there at all. After a stressful day of school work and company reports, the last thing that she’d want to hear over dinner is business.

Kai was just eating his food in silence.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter