Chapter 4

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Tuesday night and surprisingly instead of staying at home I found myself sitting inside one of my favorite restaurants, Jaguar with two of my female co-workers for- what they consider- a girl’s night out. The restaurant was fairly crowded for a Tuesday night, the place was so crowded in fact, that our waiter had yet to have made his presence known to us.

     “So Mily,” Tina, the professor of the Humanities began, “how has your novel been coming along?”

I groaned internally at the daunting question, it is true, I have been working on a novel for the past two months but, alas, not much has happened within those two months. Every time my fingers hovered over the keyboard of my laptop my mind would draw blanks, it was like the most severe case of writer’s block any author could experience.

        “It’s not going to well, T, I’ve been having some complications getting this book started,” I replied dejectedly.

       “What’s the trouble? Anything we can help you with?” Audrina –one of the professors in my department- offered.

I shrugged my shoulders, “I don’t think you could help, I’ve been suffering from the worst case of writer’s block known to mankind!”

Audrina threw her head back in joyous laughter while Tina tried to control her giggles, I glanced at the two oddly; either these ladies have been drinking before coming here or they were just simply insane. “What’s seems to be so comical?” I questioned defensively, crossing my arms over my chest.

Tina, who seemed to have exercised the most discipline of the two, spoke, “it’s just ironic that the person who always has something to say is actually having difficulties putting her ideas into written word.” Audrina nodded along in agreement as she tried to grab a hold of herself, “you know what your problem is, dear?” Audrina asked.

I cautiously shook my head, knowing whatever would come out of next would probably be highly inappropriate, “what you need, darling, is a good shag.” At this, Tina lost all her self-control as she began snorting with laughter while my face began to feel heat creep up to my cheeks as I lowered my face into my hands. Before I even had the chance to make my comeback, a voice piped up at the edge of our table, “Good evening, Ladies and welcome to Jaguar. My name Matthew and I will be your waiter for the evening; sorry for taking so long we are a bit backed up today as you can see. Any drinks to start off with or appetizers?”

We placed in our orders for drinks and glanced at the menu for anything that gained our interest, just as I was skimming through the entrees, Tina spoke up, “Cutie with a booty at 10:00 and he seems to be liking what he sees at this table because he keeps on glancing over here.”

Audrina perked up at the mention of a good looking male and subtlety glanced over to the right. She squealed delightedly in what I would assume to be approval, “Mily you’ve got to see this guy, he’s a total stud muffin!”

I rolled my eyes playfully at her, “honestly, aren’t you two a bit too old for this? I mean the both of you are happily married women with lovely ch-“ I turned my head to the right and my words got caught in my throat. My eyes widened as they held contact with a familiar dark brown pair who was equally just as surprised. “My goodness, he is everywhere,” I muttered to myself blinking rapidly to make sure I wasn’t imagining things, I must look like a total lunatic at the moment but who could really blame me? I smiled awkwardly as I waved at him and he returned the friendly gesture with a bright smile of his own, he glanced around the restaurant momentarily before jumping into the empty booth beside ours.

          “Hey, Mily, what brings you here?” Jungkook asked as he folded his arms over the divider and rested his head over it.

I laughed lightly, “Well I could ask you the same! What are you doing here?”

Jungkook tsked lightly as he shook his head, “I believe I asked you first, young lady!”

I scoffed at his usage of ‘young lady’ because we both knew that I was quite a bit older than he was, “this just so happens to be one of my favorite restaurants in town, now tell me, what are you doing here?”

    “Well,” Jungkook began, lifting himself off the divider to show off his black uniform shirt with his nametag, “I work here now, I just started yesterday.”

    “That’s great, Congratulations!” I replied happily offering him a high five which he gladly took.

    “Oh Mily,” Audrina called out, “aren’t you going to introduce us to your friend?” She questioned; her voice sickeningly sweet.

I smiled at the girls nervously and introduced them to Jungkook, I was praying to heavens above that they wouldn’t embarrass me in front of Jungkook. As much as I loved my friends, they have always drawn the conclusion that I was in need of a love interest and have always insisted on finding me one which included all of the following: the mail man, my dentist, Audrina’s step brother, Patrick, the pizza delivery guy, one of the anthologists at the university, and lastly, the random cashier at a department store because he said that I had a pretty smile.

    “So Jungkook,” Tina started, her tone of voice changing into one that was all too familiar to me, so I did what any logical girl in my position would do; I began to slowly slide down on the booth towards the bottom of the table discreetly. “Are you single?”

Jungkook chuckled as he shyly rubbed the nape of his neck, “yes I am.”

    “Oh bollocks, a handsome young fellow like you being unattached is simply unheard of, isn’t that right, Mily?” Audrina asked and my blood ran cold, all eyes were on me with an expectant look on their faces. I cursed Audrina internally for her British wit, for I hadn’t the slightest idea for how to approach the situation and it didn’t help that my brain

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter