Chapter 2

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had already been a week since the unexpected knock on my door however; my mind had grown rather fond of the memory of the nameless boy. It was all quite ridiculous to me, normally new neighbors gift the other a homemade pie or cookies, but instead my new neighbors gifted me an unexpected and unnecessary –but still appreciated- in the comfort of my backyard. I still couldn’t wrap my head around the whole ordeal and it was no help what-so-ever when the official neighborly introduction was done. They came over to formally introduce themselves about three days ago, fortunately nothing bazaar had occur save for the fact that I came face to face with Taehyun, the boy from the grocery store. I have come to know that the new neighbors were a group of seven boys who transferred to Ilemy University for the fall term, which was a University I’ve known all too well, given that I have been working there as a professor for the last two years. They seemed rather impressed with the revelation of my profession, some also seemed rather intimidated –they would most probably be future students of mine no doubt. They were all majoring in different fields, for example, Jin –the eldest in the group- was accepted into the pre-med program at the university and is an aspiring nurse practitioner. While Jungkook –the youngest of the boys as well as the most brazen since he took a dip in my pool- was majoring in film production in hopes of one day becoming a critically acclaimed director. Three of the boys, J-hope –he insisted on me calling him that but just settled for me calling him Jay- Jimin, and Taehyun were accepted into the performing arts program; Jimin and Jay for dance while Taehyun was accepted for theater. Then Namjoon and Yoongi were both majoring in classic literature. They were a kind and enthusiastic bunch who would unmistakably be the cause of my cardiac arrest in the near future.

Today was just like any other day; I had gotten out of bed to be greeted warmly by the summer sun and prepared myself for my outing. My oldest sister, Molly, just got into town last night and is visiting for a few days; no doubt taking measure of my well-being as well as comparing her success to mine. Though I loved my sister, she was a bit too full of herself –too proud to admit her mistakes and too proud to be happy of my accomplishments at such a young age.  Pride is undoubtedly her folly and it only got worse with age unfortunately. As I had finished changing clothes, I heard knocking coming from the front door, thinking it was Molly I took my sweet time going down the steps, relishing my last few moments of peace for the day. When I finally answered the door, imagine my surprise when I opened the door and found a very sweaty Jungkook in a white tank top that was practically clinging onto his muscular frame, a pair of red gym shorts, and a red baseball cap that was placed backwards on top of his head.

       “Jungkook,” I said startled at the pleasant sight of him and not Molly, “what brings you here?”

Jungkook looked down at me with a small smile on his face, he was indeed a man of many sides; at first he was indifferent, then he was brazen, and now he seemed to be shy. “The boys and I were playing basketball again and the ball flew over the fence and landed in your backyard again. Would it be alright if I just jumped the-“

         “Come in,” I cut him off opening my front door wider for him to make his entrance. He was hesitant, standing at the door as he shifted to his other foot, “I don’t want to impose.”

        “It’s no imposition at all, you are just taking a short cut to my backyard to get your ball and hopefully this time it hasn’t landed in the pool.” I joked and Jungkook seemed to relax a bit, allowing a small laugh pass his lips as he cracked a smile. He took two steps into the house and waited for me by the coat ra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter