Chapter 12

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The harmonious sound of birds chirping their morning tune was what awakened me the next morning along with the calming sound of the early morning breeze rustling the palms of the trees. A small sliver of light came peaking in through curtains, blessing the room with it’s golden light. It was a glorious morning on Kensington Avenue the kind of morning that, despite the uneventful evening that came before it, made the dawn worth the dusk. It was an odd feeling, nearly every morning on Kensington Avenue held this much value however, this morning felt a bit different. I let out a peaceful exhale as I allowed the warmth of the blankets invite me back into the stillness of sleep with a pair of strong arms wrapped around my waist and welcome the tingles brought by the shallow breaths of a sleeping Jungkook, tickle the nape of my neck. It was impossible to feel so at home and so safe in an unfamiliar situation like this. How was it possible that I didn’t entirely lose my wits this morning waking up in Jungkook’s room tangled in his embrace? I have yet to discover the answer however, I have a sneaking suspicion that it had to do with the sight of Jungkook sleeping so soundly, cuddled up against me like a child with a teddy bear. I turned slightly, taking a peek of his face in all its early morning glory despite his disheveled pink hair and dark circles under his eyes, he was entirely ethereal and unattainable, like a star in the night sky. 

 

A long breath slipped past my lips, drinking in what was left of this morning’s unexpected bliss before reality set in. I had done wrong by him, if he awoken to me like this, he would surely send me away in all his bewilderment and he had every right to do so. We cant have an encounter like this, it wouldn’t exactly help our situation, in fact it would probably worsen the problem. I had to leave, but leaving was a problem within itself; not because Jungkook held me, but because I simply didn’t want to though I knew it was the right thing to do. Slowly, and ever so carefully, I unwound myself from the protective cocoon that was Jungkook, regretting every moment of it as I lost his warmth. It was for the best, I told myself, this wouldn’t be how we resolved our situation, it was better to find another way. As I brought myself to the edge of the bed, I glanced back at Jungkook, taking in what would probably be the first and last stolen moment of the early morning. I don’t know what it was in that moment that propelled me to lean forward, but in an instant, I found my lips placing a lingering kiss on his cheek, “I’m sorry,” I whisper into the wind knowing far too well how cowardly of me it was to apologize when he couldn’t even hear me to accept or deny my apology. It was true, I still had some things I needed to figure out, and they were mostly things that had to do with my self-esteem. I honestly couldn’t tell what he saw in me, but if someone as kind and genuine and Jungkook could find something in me so wonderful, then maybe, just maybe, I could find it within myself too.

 

I rose from the bed slowly, ensuring that I didn’t disturb either of the boys sleeping before slipping through the door and into the hallway.

 

         “Mily?” the groggy voice of Seokjin caught my attention as I slowly closed the door to Jungkook and Namjoon’s room, “what are you doing here?” he quipped, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes while a yawn passed his lips.

 

           “I-I,” I had no thought as to how I was going to explain this predicament to the eldest of the group, but gave it my best shot anyways, “Jungkook, he drunk dialed me last night from a club so Namjoon and I went to get him and he unintentionally clung to me like a koala when he went down so I had no choice but to stay the night. Sorry I startled you.”

 

Seokjin shrugged, “I wasn’t startled, I was happy to see you,” he stated, “are you staying for breakfast? I know it would mean a lot to the guys if you did.”

 

A brief pause came between us, usually I would never deny an offer like this, these boys had become a part of my family however, things between Jungkook and I weren’t exactly out of the woods. “Seokjin, I don’t think that’s a-“ I tried to reply however Seokjin cut in,

 

      “he’s been going to a tough time this week, I think he would greatly appreciate it if you stayed.”

 

           “You don’t understand, Jin,” I nearly grunted in frustration,  “the last time we saw each other things didn’t go so well, I don’t think it’s a good idea to be here when he wakes up,” I replied crossing my arms over my chest as I felt  small prickles in both my eyes, a sure indicator that tears were soon to follow, “besides, I’m the last person he’d want to see right now.” A small sniffle left me and as soon as Jin took his first step towards me, the tears came flooding down faster than I had liked.

 

         “Hey, it’s okay,” Seokjin cooed as he hugged me, “it’s all g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter