Six

Somewhere Behind The Wall

"Aunt Seolhee, I'm going out with Narim.  See you later!"  Soojung said as she tied up her shoelaces at her front door.  Her aunt who's busy baking a chocolate cake in the kitchen came out to see her.

"Okay then.  Don't forget to call me if you need anything and make sure to come back before 7PM.  We'll eat this cake together".  She said

Soojung smiled at her and nodded.  She kissed her aunt's cheeks before going out to see Narim who has been waiting for her.

"Come on.  I need my coffee now".  Narim said, giggling.  They promised to hangout at their favorite coffeeshop which is located just 1km away from Soojung's house.  Soojung couldn't teach English for Narim on Fridays so they both agreed to change it to Saturdays instead.

The two friends cycled together side by side on their way to the coffee shop.  It was located in Soojung's neighbourhood and has been a top spot for people from all ages to grab their favorite coffee.  Little did Soojung knew, Jongin and his friends also love to sit around in the same coffee shop on every weekends.

Soojung and Narim finally arrived at the coffee shop.  The two ordered their drinks and sat at the table which is located at the corner.  They took out their books and stationeries while taking selfies happily.  They didn't realize 3 people were too busy staring at them from afar.  

The 3 were Jongin, Sehun and Joohyuk.  The boys smiled when they saw Narim and Soojung enjoying themselves in their own world.

"Okay, so that one is the Soojung that has been on your mind lately?" asked Sehun while spinning his pencil.  Jongin lifted his left eyebrow.

"Is that even a question?  Or is it a statement?" Jongin asked him back.

Sehun sighed then rolled his eyes, "It's a question, duh.  Please notice my intonation next time, thank you!"  he answered.

"Yes, Sehun.  The girl in the purple dress.  Not the one with the glasses.  Isn't she pretty?"  Joohyuk suddenly said.  Jongin looked at him and his eyes darted back to Soojung who was teaching Narim something.

Sehun nodded and sipped his own coffee saying, "Both of them are pretty".  The coffee foam remained above his lips, causing Jongin and Joohyuk to laugh at him.  Sehun snarled at the two but still wondering why they were laughing at him

"What!?"

"Above your lips, Sehun.  Wipe the foam off or else no girls would want to date you if you're still clumsy like this" said Jongin.  Sehun wiped his mouth quickly.

The boys decided to focus on doing their discussion at the coffee shop.  They always came on Saturdays and they have been the shop's loyal customers since its first opening.  The three of them sometimes received complimentary drinks from the owner who they called as Uncle Lee.  

While doing their discussion, Joohyuk noticed that Soojung was sitting alone, reading an English novel.  He elbowed Jongin who was still in the middle of discussion with Sehun.  Jongin felt annoyed when Joohyuk made him lose his own focus.

"What is it?" Jongin asked

"Look over there.  Soojung is alone, man.  Why don't you approach her and strike a conversation with her?"  Joohyuk gave an idea to Jongin.  

He then looked at Soojung's direction.  Joohyuk is right.  She was alone.  Maybe her friend went to the toilet, he thought.

"But, why should I?  I don't have any topic to share with her" 

Joohyuk facepalmed himself.  Jongin could be dense around girls.  

"Simple, man.  Just say hi, talk about few things and try to mention about the students' exchange program.  Then try to ask her number, who knows you could discuss with her in details if you got her number?"  He said.

Jongin suddenly felt nervous.  He ran his hands through his hair trying to make sure that he look okay.  He stood up and asked the two about his appearance.

"You look like a pig".  Sehun joked, putting on a poker face like he always did only to tease Jongin knowing that his friend got annoyed easily.

As expected, Jongin raised his middle finger at Sehun.  Both Sehun and Joohyuk burst into laughter at Jongin's reaction.  Jongin rolled his eyes and walk to Soojung's direction.


"Hi, Soojung.  Are you alone?"  Soojung knitted her brows and look up to the owner of the familiar voice.  She was surprised to see her secretly favorite person, standing in front of her.  She closed her book and smiled at him.

He's so handsome...

Jongin was dressed in a grey long sleeved knitwear with a pair of black jeans.  His hair was so perfect that she really wanted to touch it.

"I'm with Narim but she went to the toilet about two minutes ago.  Are you here by yourself too?"  She asked him back.

"I'm here with my friends.  They're at the back".  Jongin answered while pointing at his friends at the back.  The two waved at Soojung.  She smiled and waved back at them.

They had a good chit chat and Jongin followed what Joohyuk had instructed for him to do.  He managed to be comfortable around Soojung sharing about few things and also discuss about the students' exchange program.  While for Soojung, she really enjoyed her company.

Realizing that he took too much time to have a conversation with Soojung, Jongin cleared his throat and tried to came up with his first and foremost intention.  Asking for her number.

"Uh, Soojung.  Since the students for the program will arrive in next week's Wednesday,  I would like to ask for your number so that we can discuss easily.  May I have it?".  Jongin said, clasping his hands tightly under the table hoping that he didn't sound too awkward.

Soojung looked at him with another surprised expression.

He's asking for my number yayyyy!!!!!

"Sure.  I'll read up my number and let you save it in your phone".  She said.

Jongin smiled and took out his phone.  Soojung read her mobile number while Jongin quickly saved it in his contacts list.

"Thank you, Soojung.  I'll text you very soon".  Jongin said and went back to his table, so excited to tell Sehun and Joohyuk

Few seconds after that, Narim arrived.

"Wow girl, wow.  You might want to look at this".  She said and handed her phone to Soojung.  It was a picture of Soojung talking to Jongin.  Narim noticed the two sitting together when she walked out of the toilet.  She decided to take a photo of the two just because she wanted Soojung to keep it.

Soojung blushed.

"So, any good news?" Narim asked.

"He got my number and told me that he'll text me very soon!" Soojung said with a really happy expression on her face.  Narim couldn't help but to be happy too for her best friend.


After having dinner and eating chocolate cake with her aunt, Soojung went into her room and wanted to try a new makeup look.  She arranged her makeup collections and picked few stuffs for her to practice.

She her laptop and trying to find new makeup tutorials from her favorite Youtuber, KathleenLights.  She found some and tried her best to observe the techniques and later on recreated the look on herself.

Suddenly, her phone buzzed showing that she received a new text message.

It was from an unknown number.  Her heart raced while opening up the message

Hi, it's me. Jongin. Hehehehe.  Am I bothering you?

Soojung wanted to scream so bad telling the whole world that she is so happy receiving a text message from her crush.  She was thinking of what she should reply him.  Til then,

S: Hi, Jongin.  Nothing much.  I'm just watching few makeup tutorials on Youtube.  HBU?

J: Whoaaa that's cool.  I would like to see you put on makeup too!

S: Sure, will show you once I'm free!

Soojung smiled when reading the text he sent.  They texted all the way from talking about random stuffs and to discussing about their upcoming work.  Soojung couldn't believe that she fell in love again after few years of being stony-hearted.

She never really imagined that she would befriend the Kim Jongin who never knew about her existence all this while.

The Kim Jongin that has always been the ultimate heart-throb in their school.

And also the Kim Jongin who scored perfect grades and always ranked among the top 5 in their batch.

Soojung admired his cute traits so much that she feels like hugging him to show that she really liked him.  She knew for sure that she's not going to do that since it was just a beginning.  But, she knew that they'll be good friends since they shared few similarites that could make them strengthen their bonds.

Soojung was so happy that night.

Dear God, I'm in love again.