Five

Somewhere Behind The Wall

*Few lines below that's written in Italic represented Soojung's thought

Soojung couldn't stop smiling when she remembered that Jongin waved at her that morning.  She felt wonderful and it has been a long time since she had a crush on somebody.  

Suddenly,

"Jung Soojung, Madam Lee wants to see you now".  Her classmate, Woohyung, informed her.  Soojung glanced at her watch and realized that their Maths teacher will arrive anytime soon.

"But, our Maths class is about to start.  Well, you know how Miss Han doesn't like it when anybody goes out".  Soojung muttered.

"It's alright, Soojung.  Madam Lee said that it is urgent and I'll explain to Miss Han later on your behalf".  Woohyung, as a class monitor assured Soojung that he'll help her.  Soojung smiled and mouthed "thanks" to Woohyung.  She walked out of her class, heading to the staffroom.

Madam Lee is the Head of English Language Panel in their school.  She always had her eyes set on Soojung since the girl had her first step on the school.  Madam Lee has been admiring Soojung's obvious potential in the language.

She was too busy studying Soojung's excellent past records that were presented on her table by Soojung's form teacher until she heard a slight knock on her door.

"Come in", Madam Lee said.

Soojung entered the room, smiling.  "Good morning, Madam.  My classmate said that you wanted to see me".

"Yes, Jung Soojung.  Take a seat".  Madam Lee smiled back at Soojung and gestured her towards the chair across the table.  Soojung nodded and sat down.

"Actually, our school has teamed up with one of the public schools in the U.S for a short-term students' exchange programme.  I called you here today because I wanted to inform you something and I had a task for you".

When Soojung heard the word 'U.S', she was so delighted.  It's been a long time that she had left U.S and how she missed the place where she was born and the last time she felt the warmth of having a happy family.

"I've discussed with my other members and I think you're fit to be the students' guide when they arrive here, Soojung.  What do you think?"

"Me? May I know what should I do, Madam?"

"Okay, there will be 5 students from Cottonwood High School, Utah. By 5 means 3 girls and 2 boys respectively.  They'll arrive here in two weeks from now.  Me and my other panels have planned on a few activities for the students.  Your task will be on communicating with them, fetch them at the airport and also you'll be the one who's going to guide them during their visit here.  Tell them everything about our culture, our school, our students' activities and you got to make sure their upcoming visit will be memorable forever".  Madam Lee smiled, hoping Soojung will agree to everything she had explained.

Soojung was lost for words. She thought that she might not deserve to be called as a guide since she's just a normal girl in school.  Not even close to being a member of the most important club in her school which is the Students' Council Club.  Yup, his club.  But then, Soojung thought that Cottonwood, Utah has left a lot of memories for her.  Her childhood days were spent at the place Madam Lee mentioned.  She was eager to wait for the students to arrive.

"Madam, I am so thankful that you've selected me to help you and the other teachers.  When I heard U.S, being mentioned, my childhood memories came flooding back and I just missed everything".  Soojung said.  Madam Lee smiled at her with full interest.

"Besides, when you said Cottonwood, Utah.  I am more than happy because I've lived there since my baby days until I turned 8 years old".

Madam Lee was so happy to hear that Soojung was familiar to the place.  She knew so well that Soojung would be a good help for her, her other panels and also to the whole school.  She took out few pieces of papers from her printer with 5 photos and personal details of the students from Cottonwood High School printed on every pages.  She handed Soojung the papers.

"You'll have to look through every photos and details of the students so it will be easy for you by the time they arrive here".

Soojung read the students' details carefully one by one and when she stopped at the last page, she was surprised to see that it was her childhood friend, Danielle.  

Madam Lee noticed that Soojung had her eyes glued on the last printed page.

"Do you, by any chance, know that person?"  Madam Lee asked.

Soojung looked at Madam Lee and nodded happily.  "She's my friend.  We grew up together in the same neighbourhood, Madam".  Soojung answered.

Suddenly, they heard a knock on the door.  Madam Lee said,

"Oh, it must be him.  Come in, Jongin".  

Jongin? Which Jongin? Kim Jongin? Kim J? Soojung's heart pounded when her thoughts stopped at the name, Kim J.

"I'm sorry Madam Lee. I was late".  said a familiar husky voice at the door.  Madam Lee invited the person to sit next to Soojung and that made her heart beat rapidly when she heard his footsteps coming near but she didn't want to turn her back at the person.  Soojung knew it was the ever so charming Kim Jongin.  She could feel herself blushing.

"Ayy, Soojung is here too".  Jongin said and flashed Soojung with his attractive smile.  Soojung smiled back at him and felt very nervous having him sitting next to her.

Ugh that smile! So freaking adorable!

"Alright.  Since both of you are here, and Soojung, I would like to say that you two will work together for the programme".  Madam Lee said.  Jongin and Soojung exchanged glances, which make Soojung blushed even more.  Jongin coughed awkwardly and sat straight.

"Great.  I'd like that, Madam Lee".  Jongin said.

'I'd like that'......Cool huh, Kim J

"Jongin already knew what he needed to do for this upcoming programme.  I want both of you to discuss as soon as possible on how to ensure that the students will have amazing experience visiting our place.  And, Jongin, as promised, here's yours".  Madam Lee said while handing another copy of the exchange students' details.

 "Thank you, Madam".  Jongin said.

"You're welcome.  So, I'll call both of you again next time and I really hope you'll cooperate with us.  I think your classes have started already.  Okay, that's all.  See you both next time".

Both Soojung and Jongin thanked Madam Lee and made their way out of the room.  Jongin was happy to be able to work together with Soojung.  It was a strange feeling but he liked that.  He tried not to show his happy expression in front of her.  On the other hand, Soojung was surprised that she was chosen for the programme and working together with Jongin was so unexpected.  

"So, Soojung.  I'm quite afraid you know".  Jongin said, breaking the awkward silence between them.  Soojung looked up to him.  

Damn, his jawline and his eyelashes......

"But why?  What is it that makes you afraid?" Soojung asked.

"My English is ummmmmm, 5/10? 4.5/10? I'm afraid that I couldn't do well in front of the exchange students later".  He answered, playfully smiling but he doesn't sound like he was joking.  "Can you help me with that?  You speak fluent English tho".  He answered.

"Sure, I can help you with that.  I'm just average, Jongin.  Not that fluent but still okay".  She said with a smile.

"Okay, cool!"  He replied

They finally arrived in front of Soojung's class. Soojung's Maths teacher was inside.  Jongin mouthed 'bye' and waved his hands at her again. Soojung smiled.  She waved back at him and waited for him to enter his class which is just next to hers.  She then knocked on her class' door and entered when her teacher told her to come inside.

"Wow, yesterday going back home together and today, going to each other's classes together.  Just date him already, Soojung.  What are you waiting for?"  Narim nudged Soojung while whispering as soon as Soojung sat on her chair.  Soojung facepalmed herself when she heard Narim.

"Hello, I'm just a nobody.  Will tell you why later.  So what did Miss Han taught just now?"  She asked.

Narim chuckled opened Soojung's textbook, flipping to the page where Miss Han asked them to do some quick activity.

"Here you go.  Just a refresh for the topic we studied yesterday.  Miss Han will teach new topic later after the discussion so you better do yours now".  Narim said.  She punched in numbers on her calculator to continue with her work.

"What topic?" Soojung asked and yawned looking at numbers on her textbook.  Other students might find History is the ultimate reason to students getting sleepy in class but it's not for Soojung.  Maths is like a lullaby for her, and she always thought that she is the weirdest student on the planet.

"Hey, don't be sleepy.  Arithmetic progression for later yay!"  Narim giggled happily.  

"Ugh "  Soojung cursed.

"Jung Soojung! Language!  I can hear you".  Miss Han said while scrolling through her phone.  Soojung's body jerked and she let out a short, nervous laugh.

"I'm sorry, Miss Han".  Soojung apologized.  

Narim covered , trying so hard not to let out her hysterical laugh that can haunt her whole classmates.  Soojung pursed her lips in annoyance and showed her fist to Narim.  Narim stopped teasing her and they both continued doing their work.

Never mind, Soojung.  As long as your short interaction with him just now was enough to make you happy til the end of this day.  You're a happy girl, Soojung!