Two

Somewhere Behind The Wall

"OH MY GOD!" Narim shrieked when she saw half of Jongin's shirt was drenched with orange juice.  Soojung who stood beside her couldn't say anything when the glass she's been holding fell down and shattered on the cafeteria's floor.  Soojung was afraid to meet the person's eyes in front of her which made her stared at those shattered glass pieces. 

She didn't know it was Kim Jongin.  She was froze in her spot.  No words came out from .  She didn't feel comfortable being in the situation where the whole cafeteria turned silent and focused on her, Narim, and the person in front of her.  Her face reddened.  She felt like she was going to cry anytime soon.

"It's okay, I have P.E class later".  The person in front of her said.

Soojung tilted her head slowly while meeting Jongin's all smiley face.  Her face turned redder than before.

"I..I"

"Don't apologize, you didn't do that on purpose by the way" Jongin continued while handing another glass of orange juice from the counter to her.  Soojung couldn't help but to hesitate because she felt so guilty for spilling her own drink on Jongin's shirt.  At first, she didn't realize Jongin was beside her when she tried to find an empty table while holding her tray.  Narim signaled for Soojung to take the glass from Jongin but Soojung was too slow to understand.

"Thank you, Kim Jongin.  By the way, I'm sorry on my friend's behalf".  Narim said causing Jongin to nod and say "It's okay" once again.  Narim patted Soojung's shoulder, motioning her to make a move.  Soojung nodded at her and also to Jongin before she walk away.  While they're on their way to a vacant table, a voice suddenly said,

"Look at that oh-so-innocent girl, causing trouble again by spilling drinks on someone else's shirt. Don't she have eyes?" 

The voice belonged to no other than a named Kang Yoori who always tried to make fun of her.  Soojung couldn't brain why Yoori despised her so much and she's been like that ever since they went to the same middle school already.  But Soojung pretended that she didn't hear anything and just letting Yoori with her group of friends, saying bad things at her again. Narim glared at Yoori and her friends but what she did still cannot stop them from laughing at Soojung.

"I don't understand that girl, Soojung.  People go to school in order to be educated but why is she becoming more stupid?" Narim said.

"Narim, just let her be.  Even if they hate me so much, the only thing I can do is to stay silent and just smile".  Soojung uttered while cutting her foods into small pieces.  

Narim sighed.  She knew Soojung so well and that, patience is Soojung's biggest virtue.  Yoori could go around the school, spreading a bad, fake news about Soojung to other people, but even if Soojung knew about that,  She'll always keep herself silent and tried her best to ignore everything.  The same went to other people.  They can always provoke her but she choose to not give a damn on them.  That's how patient she was.

By looking at what had happened, Narim knew that this will be the last time for Soojung to eat lunch at the cafeteria.  At first, she spilled drinks on Jongin by accident and after that, Yoori made fun of her.  Narim felt bad for her friend.  She took quick glances at Soojung in between eating their lunches.  Soojung didn't talk that much like how she always did whenever they ate together.  

"Aren't you gonna finish eating your lunch?"

 Soojung's voice snapped Narim out of her reverie.  She continued eating when she realized that they only have 15 minutes left for lunchtime.

"By the way, Narim.  I felt so embarrassed for spilling my drink on Kim J's shirt.  I mean who doesn't know him in this school, right?"

At their school, Jongin was nicknamed as Kim J by majority of the girls from their batch.  He was famous for being his teachers' pet but in a positive way, not a biased one.  Jongin was also the one who topped the ranking for most subjects and teachers trusted him when it comes to leadership.  To sum it all up, he's like an icon to other students.  Despite his good looks, Jongin was also kind and friendly to everyone.

"Soojung, I'm sorry for what had happened". Soojung frowned when she heard Narim saying that.

"Nah, you don't have to". She replied and continue talking about how embarrassed she was in front of Jongin.  Before this, Soojung never talked about boys unless if they're her favorite idols.  Narim felt better when she saw Soojung still wanted to talk, ignoring the embarrasments from earlier's mishaps.

The bell rang and all students made their way to their respective classes.  In the large crowd, Jongin was nowhere to be seen making Soojung wondered about his whereabouts.  She craned her neck to find him but he's just not there.  Narim noticed that Soojung was looking for somebody but she didn't want to ask so they just walked together to their class.

 


 

"Okay, everyone.  Get into your own groups and I'll distribute these papers to all of you according to your own tasks okay.  Each group will carry a different task and I'll let you guys decide on what to do, when to start, on your own.  Then, all team leaders shall present your group's plans to me one by one.  I'll give you 35 minutes to do a simple discussion".  Jongin made announcement in front of the meeting room while distributing task papers to his clubmates.

Jongin stayed back after school period to ensure his upcoming club's project can be discussed along with his club members.  They were going to hold a charity carnival in the next two months in order to donate some money to the old folks' home near their school.  Their club, The Student Council, played the most important role if compared to the others because they had to organize student events and activities apart from just concerning about the issues happening in their school.  Besides, teachers had high hopes on the members too. As the president, Jongin did not want to waste his precious free time and also his clubmates' for something else.  He'd prefer to gather with them so that they can brainstorm on interesting ideas, discuss their plans with him and also making a good preparation from the very start.


35 minutes had passed.  The team leaders, came to him one by one, presenting their groups' ideas carefully to him.  They knew Jongin was a bit strict to agree to them.  But on that day, Jongin zoned out a little bit and most of them noticed that he was a little bit weird from the start.  They exchange looks with one another until one of them snapped his fingers in front of Jongin, enough to wake him up from his daydream.

"Uh, yes Hansung?" Jongin asked, with a questionable look in his eyes.

"Err, president.  I think you didn't focus when I was explaining just now".  Hansung replied while scratching the back of his head.

"Oh but I heard you said that your group will team up with the English Language Club for the..." 

Hansung raised his left eyebrow because he never mentioned teaming up with the English Language Club specifically  He was explaining about setting up a few food booths for every clubs that will join them in that carnival later.  Jongin cleared his throat and sat straight.  He rubbed his temples and apologize to Hansung and the others for not focusing.

"Jongin, were you thinking about the girl who accidentally spilled her drinks on you this afternoon?" said Moon Haera, who was also Jongin's classmate.

"Eh, why would I?" Jongin asked her back.

"Yeah, who knows right?  You've mentioned The English Language Club which happened to be the club where that  girl was a member of it".  Haera said with a teasing smile on her face.

Jongin was quiet for a few seconds and smiled back at Haera.  What she said was acceptable since Jongin could not stop thinking about the incident that happened earlier.  Well, maybe because he never saw Soojung before.  He thought.

"It's alright everyone.  I'll keep these written plans and we'll discuss again tomorrow.  It's 4.30PM now.  I'm sure your parents must be waiting already".  Jongin gave their papers back respectively and dismissed the meeting for that day.  

After done switching off all electric currents in the meeting room, he headed to the bus stop outside their school gate to wait for a bus, but then he saw a familiar figure, sitting at the end of the bench.  Jongin thought the girl could possibly be Soojung but she did not notice that he was there.  Jongin rubbed his eyes to make sure that it was her.  When he saw her long, flowy black hair, he was positive that it was Soojung.  Just, she was looking at somewhere else.  Jongin gulped, feeling a little bit awkward to make her notice him because they never talked to each other before.

"Is that you, Jung Soojung?"

The girl turned her head towards him.  Yes, it was Soojung.  Their eyes met again for the second time.