The Fall of Grace

Chasing Kim Taeyeon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

For those who are confused. I deleted the other chapter and replaced it with this one since I decided to continue writing Gtae

Grace Kim Eun-Yeon

Daughter of Baekhyun and Taeyeon

Born with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome

          

      

As a 7/8/9 year old

A few years after [Around 5-6ish]

Three Years Old. When she first met Jiyong and came back from America

 

 

Jiyong didn't know why he was standing outside the ICU with Taeyeon at his side.

 

It felt right to do so.

 

He crossed his legs nervously as the doctor came out, his eyes occasionally darting towards Taeyeon.

 

“Doctor.” Taeyeon's voice was calm, as though she had practiced and gone through such things many times.

 

“Her heart is really weak. When are you planning--”

 

“This week. Or tomorrow.” Taeyeon interrupted his speech, crossing her arms. “I wanted her to do the last operation when she turned three, to monitor her progress and see if it was better for her.” The doctor nodded nervously.

 

“Might I suggest that she be registered for a heart transplant too?” Taeyeon lips pursed, but Jiyong saw her hands shake slightly.

 

“Please.”, Her voice still had the calm pleasing tone to it, but her body trembled as she walked slowly to the glass window, palms splaying on the glass as she watched the little girl on the hospital bed, dwarfed by all the beeping machines.

 

“It's not your fault, you know.” Taeyeon started in surprise at Jiyong's words. “I know you're blaming yourself, but it's not your fault. Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome is a disease, something you can't control.” Taeyeon laughed mocking at herself as he attempted to comfort her.

 

“But I pretty much caused it to happen.” Her voice was soft and weak, and her arms tightened around her chest. “Jiyong, did you know after I saw you and Kiko together I slit my wrists to kill myself?” Jiyong started harshly, grabbing hold of her hand to check the scarred wrists before flinching back.

 

“We weren't together.” He avoided her eyes.

 

“But you made me think you were. And that destroyed me.”She said bitterly. “I didn't even know I was pregnant then. I ran the tap in the bathroom, slit my wrists and nearly bled out in the tub. The girls found me before I was dead though.” Now that explained the Girls cold attitude towards him after that. It made much more sense. “I fainted from severe blood loss and nearly died, Jiyong. Do you not think it would not have impacted the fetus in my body?” She asked bitterly. Jiyong's eyes widened.

 

“Not enough oxygenated blood--” He mumbled, connecting the dots.

 

“Yes. My body couldn't afford to pump enough oxygenated to Yeon in my womb at my poor state ,and so she was deprived of oxygenated blood for quite a while.” Taeyeon turned to face him, her eyes hard. “It affected the development of her left chamber.” A tear fell down her eye. She dashed it away harshly. “She couldn't form a proper left heart chamber to pump enough oxygen in her blood. And we didn't even find out she had such a problem until the last stages, because all the while I was in bed rest to prevent a possible miscarriage.”

 

Flashback:

 

The nurse slowly guided the ultrasound rod across her rounded belly, and Taeyeon smiled gently as a familiar flutter filled the room with it's strong heart beat.

 

There was her little warrior.  

 

A soft laugh escaped her lips.

 

“Is everything okay?” She asked out of habit, turning bright eyes to the nurse, only to notice the pale and stiff stature of the nurse scrutinising her. “Nurse? What's wrong?” She shifted, suddenly nervous. The flutter of her baby's heart suddenly sounded ominous, and Taeyeon started to panick.

 

“What's wrong?”

 

“Nothing.” The nurse failed to quell her worries as she smiled forcefully. “I just need to check something with the doctor.” Taeyeon paled as she pressed a button, her heart rate skyrocketing as a group of doctors and nurses rushed in, discussing in low voices as they glanced at the ultrasound and heard the beating of her baby's heart .

 

“Someone! Tell me what's happening! Is my baby alright?”

 

One of the doctor's turned slowly to her, pulling a chair in to talk to her.

 

“Miss Kim, it's a little late, but I might want you to prepare yourself for a possible death of your baby. Of course, we will do our best here, but I'm afraid we aren't the best equipped to help support your baby with this condition. You've heard of Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome? We speculate that your daughter may not have a complete left side of her heart. That's why we're hearing lots of heart murmurs.” He paused, watching as the mother to be stared at him stonily, willing through sheer willpower for the tears in her eyes not to fall.

 

“I don't wanna hear that! I want you to tell me if my baby will survive!”

 

“Taeyeon.” The doctor clasped her hands gently. “When you cut your wrists, the severe blood loss may have most likely impeded your baby's growth, hence causing a incomplete formation of the heart. You need to know that the infant mortality rate of a  child with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome is still very high despite the surgeries. She would spend her first few days in surgery, then the next six months of her life in another surgery. And who knows if the thre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter