Almost Broken

Run Away

Before:

Taehyung was always one to follow the rules. Growing up his mother had been strict with both him and his older sister. She was fair, but she wanted them on their best behavior. When she died, it didn't put the family in a good position. His father started drinking and was soon after fired from his job. His sister was then forced to drop out of school in order to care for them both. Even though his offer to help was turned down, Taehyung looked for was money when he could. Tutoring other students, babysitting, pretty much all he could do at his age. It seemed to be going well. Then his father's habits became worse.

The first time he hit her, it was because she didn't buy him his beer. After working a twelve-hour shift it simply slipped her mind.

"Inconsiderate, ." The slap was loud enough that Taehyung who was in the next room heard it. She wouldn't let him fight back. Holding out her hand to stop him from any retaliation.

They were scared. He knew they both were. Yoojung was just a lot better at hiding it.

After that night it did not get any better. Taehyung found comfort in one of his oldest friends. Kim Namjoon who was 2 years his senior and was not the type of person you bring home to your parents in any sense of the phrase. But Taehyung liked him, he liked him a lot and he enjoyed having someone actually listen to him and not just write him off as a teen with daddy issues. Jimin was always there, but with Namjoon it was more of a release, and less of a lecture. He loved Jimin, and Hoseok as well but they didn't understand him, not like they did with each other at least. Namjoon was smart. Graduated 2 years early and at the top of his class. Living on his own, he had a job and took care of himself. Taehyung supposed that was why he liked him so much. Taehyung had always been a follower. And Namjoon was a leader. Good or Bad was up to who you were asking.

"Kid. You know if we keep at this pace we're gonna get caught." The two were currently brushing up on their non-existent art skills upon a billboard downtown. Namjoon pulls out another cigarette and places it between his lips. To Tae's knowledge, he'd been trying to kick the habit. Apparently, Seokjin wasn't a fan of smokers. And he rolls his eyes at that, you shouldn't have to change who you are for anyone, and here was one of the toughest guy he knew bending over backward to please a guy who never got so much as a detention when he was in school.

"Stop calling me kid. And I like the rush. It feels good." After a few puffs, Namjoon dumps the cig on the floor. Briefly looking over Taehyung's shoulder

"Well can it feel good faster. I can't get arrested again. And Jin is expecting me." His hand pauses hovering above his work. Tae liked Jin, he really did. But this did not stop his jealousy from blooming whenever Namjoon mentioned him. He hated the way his eyes got all bright at the simple mention of the older boys name, and he did not like how he was being sidelined since their not-so-relationship began.

"Feel free to leave. Don't let me stop you." Namjoon does not miss the boy's hasty tone. He'd been subject to it many times as of late, and he understood why. He also made it clear to him that they couldn't be in a relationship. He liked Taehyung. Loved him even. They were family and nothing would get in the way of that.

"Tae-"

"We don't have to do this hyung I get it. You like him. I'm too young." Putting on the last touches, Taehyung drops the can into the bag. Without a second glance, Taehyung grabs the bag and makes his way down the ladder.

Two years wasn't so bad in his mind. Hell his parents were Seven Years apart and their relationship was great...When his mom was alive. Age wasn't an excuse.

"You want a ride, Jin-"

"I'll walk." No way he was going to sit in the car with them being all mushy for an entire ride. It's bad enough he had to watch them on the daily from afar, and listen to Namjoon and his constant gushing. Right now all he wanted was to get as far away from Jin, and by association Namjoon. He hoped Jimin was free maybe some alcoholic release would be a better way to handle for now.

"Call me when you get to Jimin's." Tossing his hand up in response, Taehyung keeps walking refusing to look back. He hears Jin's truck pull up as he turns the corner. That is one paint job he was dying to ruin.

Taehyung peeks around the corner and watches as the two argue through the window. Seokjin likely scolding Namjoon, while Namjoon was shamelessly flirting with the older boy. He wouldn't admit out loud but Jin liked the attention. Having a face like Namjoon, Taehyung understood, Namjoon was used to getting what he wanted be it with his words or his looks.

"I'm not a kid." He repeats to himself. And he swore to prove just that.

 

*__*

After:

Taehyung always loved Seokjin. He meant that wholeheartedly and even when his jealousy got the best of him deep down he believed this to be a fact. Jin was the best of all of them. Smart, hardworking, dedicated. They all assumed he had it the easiest.

"Tae its time to go home." Later in the night, Taehyung had found his way back to the cemetery. The freshly covered grave below his feet.

"Kim Seokjin. Son, Friend, and Brother" He reads aloud. He hadn't gotten this close before. He was afraid of what would happen if he got too close.

"Taehyung. Are you okay?" And he rolls his eyes. Pathetic. He thought he'd have a few hours before someone actually asked that. It was so typical and he hated the stupidity of the question.

"Namjoon for a genius you ask dumb questions. What exactly did Jin see in you?"

"Tae-"

"No really, what kind of question is that. One of my friends just died, he's dead, to be seen no more. Of course, I'm not okay." And he wishes he could say he was sorry, but he was too upset. A caring family. And six friends. None of them saw he was screaming for help because he was too busy helping them instead.

"I'm sorry."

"It's too late for apologies. And even if it wasn't the person you need to apologize to is already gone so you lost your chance." And sure maybe Namjoon didn't deserve it but he was too far gone to stop now. "This is as much your fault as it is ours. " Taehyung picks up his bottle again, Namjoon watches as he stumbles out of the Cemetery. He looks over the headstone for a few moments before following in Taehyung's direction. The last thing they needed was one death on top of another.

"I'm sorry Hyung. I'm so sorry."