How to Comfort Sad Signs

SongKim Zodiac-inspired One-shots

Aries: Invite them to go out with you but let them choose the activity, you gotta be up for anything and make them feel like they’re the best human in the world

Libra: Do something that will make them want to get all dressed up and feel attractive, like a nice dinner or a party or even just a fancy night in

----------------------

“Mino, wanna go out?” Jinwoo asks his boyfriend out of the blue.

“Uh…yeah, sure,” replies Mino, a little shocked but appreciative of the suggestion. He’s been wanting to go out somewhere these past few days, but he didn’t want to go alone. But since Taehyun left, everyone was feeling down and it didn’t seem like the time for it. So was he, but the emptiness and grief looming around the dorm eventually made him restless. “Where to?”

“Wherever you want,” answers Jinwoo as he crawls into his bed beside Mino. The rapper puts an arm around Winner’s visual and stares at him as he thinks it through. Jinwoo always liked going to artsy places, and Mino recalled that there’s an art exhibit opening up tonight around town. He’s particularly interested in it, too, because it’s going to feature artworks based on videogame backgrounds and scenes. Then afterwards, they could just have dinner at that fancy restaurant nearby, and he’ll have to make a reservation right now. Doesn’t hurt to splurge if all they’ve been doing was stay inside the dorm lately.

“I know just the place,” he says to Jinwoo with a smile he hasn’t made for days.

Jinwoo turns to look at him and smiles back. “Where?”

“It’s a secret, but you might wanna get suited up.”

Amused curiosity flits through Jinwoo’s eyes as he complies and goes to his room. He may not know where they’re going yet, but he knows that if Mino keeps it a secret, it’s always bound to impress him. Jinwoo tries to pick out a nice, classy outfit but fails. With Seungyoon still asleep, Jinwoo almost calls out to the other person he’d ask fashion advice from but holds himself back, remembering that he isn’t here anymore. Melancholy settles in once again as Jinwoo recalls how good Taehyun’s fashion sense always was. He was a little fussy about it, but it always paid off. Smiling, Jinwoo shakes the memory off to focus on the task at hand.

After much deliberation, he finally decides on what to wear and steps out to the living room, where Mino sat waiting, also clad in a fine suit.

“Took you long enough,” Mino remarks with a scoff, making Jinwoo giggle and jab him at his ribs. He flings an arm around Jinwoo’s neck and slightly chokes him playfully as they head out.

“Wanna guess where we’re going?” Mino asks as they walk along the street.

“Seeing as we’re dressed like this, I bet it’s somewhere formal,” Jinwoo answers.

“You’re right.”

“Hmm…an art exhibit perhaps?”

Mino raises his eyebrows in surprise. “How’d you guess?”

Jinwoo smirks at him. “I happen to know that an exhibit is opening nearby. But I’m surprised you know I would want to go there.”

Mino leans close until his forehead touches Jinwoo’s. “I know you too well.” They smile sweetly at each other as Jinwoo takes Mino’s hand in his. Their interlinked hands earn them a few judging stares from the people they pass by, but they didn’t mind. Because they knew the people closest to them accept and support their relationship—their fellow members, friends, the fans, and even their families. In fact, they had Taehyun to thank for the last two. Before they publicly came out about their relationship, the other members could tell that they were having a hard time keeping everything a secret. But although it often seemed like he didn’t care much about them, it was Taehyun who urged them to come out so they could end their suffering. And they made the right choice of following his advice because the people they were most worried about accepted them after all. Taehyun was quite the no-nonsense kind of guy, and maybe it’s because of that character of his that he left Winner to pursue the kind of music career he wants. But although they miss him badly, they’ve already decided to support him as he has supported them.

Mino and Jinwoo arrive at the exhibit, just in time for its opening. As expected, there were a lot of spectators, mostly of young age. The couple first check out the games they’re familiar with, and then they stop at one painting.

“Hey, isn’t this from the game we played with Taehyun that one time?” Mino says as he gestures to it.

“Oh yeah, I remember this,” Jinwoo says with a grin. “He never liked playing games with us, but that night was a miracle.” They both chuckle as they recall how Taehyun insisted on playing alone most of the time because they were both really noisy, but the maknae ended up enjoying the most that one time he played with them. Mino and Jinwoo just stand there in front of the painting, holding each other’s hand and smiling forlornly at the memory.

“You miss him, too, huh?” Mino asks silently.

“Of course. We all do,” was Jinwoo’s reply. “At least he still keeps in touch with us sometimes but it’s just…different.”

“Yeah.” Their hearts feel like they’ve merged into one as they remember the pain of having to let Taehyun go. They’ve always had a feeling that the boygroup life wasn’t exactly the kind of artistic route Taehyun wanted, but they know that the bond they’ve formed with him was real. That’s what made it so hard to let him go and pursue his own path, but who were they to stop him from what truly makes him happy? And as they looked at Taehyun’s tear-filled eyes the night he packed his bags, it was clear that it was hard for him, too. All pursuits of happiness require sacrifices, and Taehyun’s sacrifice, the one thing he painfully had to give up, was them—his Winner hyungs, the ones who’ve been with him through ups and downs, the ones who loved him like family.

And he still is family. He will always be a part of Winner no matter what. They knew that. He knew that. And that’s all that matters.

“Do you think he still plays this game?” says Jinwoo with a barely noticeable crack in his voice.

“Let’s ask him,” Mino replies. He takes out his phone and takes a picture of the painting, then sends it to their group’s chatroom and asks him Jinwoo’s question. Mino and Jinwoo take one last look at the painting before proceeding to look at the other artworks in the exhibit, now feeling a little better.

-----------------------

“Thank you for this,” Jinwoo says to Mino as he reaches for his hand across the table. Jinwoo definitely did not expect this grandiose dinner after the art exhibit, but that wasn’t all he wanted to thank him for. “Not only for the dinner, but for today.”

Mino laces his fingers with Jinwoo’s. “Hey, it was your idea to go out in the first place so I should thank you,” he replies. They both smile at each other, knowing what they really thanked each other for. Somehow, this day out together made them feel like a weight has been lifted off their chests, and they can now smile a little easier and move forward. After today, it finally feels like everything will slowly go back to normal, and they could all be happy again.

A ding from Mino’s phone signifies that he received a message. He opens it and finds that Taehyun has replied to him.

“Hey, Taehyun replied,” he told Jinwoo.

“What did he say?” Jinwoo asks.

Mino shows him the screenshot Taehyun sent of the game on his phone and his reply that read: “Hah! I still play that game every day. I bet I already surpassed your level! Kkkk”

His message makes the couple laugh. Jinwoo opens the game on his phone and screenshots it, cropping it to emphasize his and Mino’s level before sending it to the chatroom. He also says: “Not in a million years! :P”

Once Taehyun read it, he sends back a crying emoji, along with “You monsters…”. Mino sends a teasing emoji, and then, Seunghoon also sends a screenshot of the game on his phone. He captions it with “I’m still at level 3?! How are you guys so good at this TT”

Seungyoon joins in a moment later, but not with a screenshot of the game. “I swear, you all are dorks. Can’t believe you’re still playing that after all these years,” he says.

“The heck? This is like the best game ever!” Mino exclaims aloud his reply to Seungyoon, and he instantly shrinks in embarrassment upon realizing he was being stared at by the other diners in the posh restaurant. Jinwoo just snickers, trying very hard to control his laughter. They hurriedly pay for their dinner and get out of the place just so they could burst out laughing. And they made sure to relish this moment. They were happy again, all five of them, just like before. Just like how they’ve always been.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hello! Yes, I'm doing an A/N for the first time because I really feel like I have to apologize for this reaaallly short chapter TT it's just such a touchy subject and I'm not really a good angst writer so I tend to avoid sad themes in my writings as much as possible. But I felt like I needed to say something about Taehyun since I am writing about a Winner ship and Winner is not Winner without Taehyun :) I'm sorry if my portrayal of him or of their interactions with him is not spot-on, because I only became an Incle after Taehyun has left and thus I don't really have a good handle of ot5 interactions. But I guess this oneshot also represents what I think happened between them and how Winner and Taehyun felt about it. Of course, it's just my opinion of it because only they know what truly happened and what they truly feel. :)